BajaNomad

jurel tourney at mulege today and fri.

capt. mike - 2-16-2006 at 01:46 PM

won't get in till mid day fri - can someone monitoring here give us a report on the days action today?

weather pattern suggests windy, colder etc. - how are the seas?

bob - see you later fri i hope.:bounce:

Bruce R Leech - 2-16-2006 at 03:21 PM

your right it is windy, colder etc. but not bad. the boats are still not all in so no results yet.

did you decide what you are going to do with that solar system yet?

capt. mike - 2-16-2006 at 04:49 PM

nope....highest bidder is still the plan though.

Bruce R Leech - 2-16-2006 at 05:16 PM

first report is the large fish for the day is a 31 pond Yellow tail. and the water was real rough.

Bruce R Leech - 2-16-2006 at 07:32 PM

any one else have any info?

approx. weights

mulege marv - 2-18-2006 at 04:31 AM

first place- Gary Bendix 31 lbs

second place- John Dinning 29 lbs

third place- Marv Perrigo 28 lbs

other- san marcos Mike 29lbs (grouper)

FINAL RESULTS ARE IN

Pompano - 2-18-2006 at 06:46 AM

Friday afternoon at 4 it was over at the Mulege Yellowtail Tournament...all contestants had their entry weighed and the final results are in the photos below.

The final day was a lot calmer and better all-round fishing than the day before. Many fish caught in the San Marcos area and also just south of the mine at Pt. Conception (where the winning totals came from). Most fish were caught using live bait (bigeyes) in about 220-240 feet over some known rockpiles off 'the slide' area.

Here is a photo of the much calmer seas yesterday.....the first day, Thursday, was real messy out there!

[Edited on 2-18-2006 by Pompano]

Final check-in at 'The Jungla'

Pompano - 2-18-2006 at 06:51 AM

a favorite watering hole of fishermen in Mulege....

the line-up

Pompano - 2-18-2006 at 06:54 AM

final results posted on the fish board...

the winners....

Pompano - 2-18-2006 at 06:57 AM

Gary Bendix...captain of 'Two Dogs' and second day teammate Jeffrey Luan.

the fish...

Pompano - 2-18-2006 at 06:59 AM

Nice yellowtail...not huge, Gary, ;D.....but big enough to win!

The happy winner signs the record...

Pompano - 2-18-2006 at 07:06 AM

and wins the tournament and the grand prize!

And some lucky bidder...ahem...wins the Calcutta pool later today.

This will be at the Pelican Reef Bar & Grill awards ceremony and fish dinner.

Pescador - 2-20-2006 at 07:24 PM

I decided not to fish the tournament due to the rules that allowed the big fish from two days. This did not really take fishing ability in to account like the bass and walleye tournaments that we have in the US. But that is the committee's choice. Actually San Marcos Mike had the third largest fish but was allowed only one win and opted to take the biggest other fish with a large Baqeuta.
The other thing that I find totally interesting is that the armada was out fishing hard for two days and although we keep getting reports in WON and here of 42 lb fish and above, when the fish are put on the scales, they always seem to come in around that 30lb mark. Wonder what those 42 lb fish would look like if they were weighed on certified scales?:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

Jim

Hook - 2-20-2006 at 07:53 PM

was the largest fish over two days a change from the fall tournament? I can't remember, probably because I didn't catch ANYTHING in the fall?

Was Alan or Deep Dave in this tournament?

nice report

mulege marv - 2-21-2006 at 05:19 AM

pescador, thanks for the report, now maybe someone else can post one who wasnt here, or in the tournament, your right no ability was involved in this tourney, othewise the results would have been alot different .:mad:, yes it was different from the fall tourney as it was was the BIGGEST single fish taken over a 2 day period as opposed to combined weight. it was also judged by the boat, not by the angler, and only one catagory or place per boat. those were the rules, and as far as reports go, all we here is that all the big yellowtail are at san marcos, hummmm, didnt see em. ya but, ya but, and actually if the dog hadnt stopped to take a s___, well he would have caught the rabbit.
:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

capt. mike - 2-21-2006 at 05:30 AM

Alex estimated the 2 nice yellows we got april before last at around 40 lbs, maybe 38. we didn't scale them but he knows by length so good enough for me. and we caught them off chivato AND THE santa ynez islas, close to mulege - heck, i'd rather not motor out all the way to marcos when you CAN get them close in if you know where to go.
and i DO NOT - that's why i have to hire a panguerro or maybe get invited by a boat owner.
am looking forward to some late spring yellows action when its both warm and sunny every day but never too hot!!

mike

mulege marv - 2-21-2006 at 05:35 AM

you can go with me mike, ill take you out . just as long as you dont take ability into account !:lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 2-21-2006 at 05:42 AM

3rd place...he'll try harder

congrats Marv

capt. mike - 2-21-2006 at 05:51 AM

hey Marv - up early too eh?:yawn:

yeah, lets go, gas is on me. maybe bring a buddy or my step Dad too.

looks like we're good for mar 2-5 on another whales booking so send that sonar device in time ok?

your right

mulege marv - 2-21-2006 at 05:54 AM

sorry, that post got my dander up. i apoligize, and yes i will try harder ! :yes::yes::yes:
maybe anger managment would help !
no, i think ill just take it for what its worth, and cash the check !
thanks bob & susan

sounds good mike

mulege marv - 2-21-2006 at 05:56 AM

no problem, my new secret weapon is on its way !

Pescador - 2-22-2006 at 09:55 AM

Marv, I wasn't attempting to say that there was no skill involved in the tournament, that would be stupid, to say the least. But you and I have both been out there fishing when some neophyte comes along with a salmon plug and 30 lb line on a mooching rod and manages to catch the big fish of the day. I was just wishing, and putting in my two cents worth that in my humble opinion, the tournament would have been more realistic for fishing abilities if they would have taken a five fish limit for two days and calculated the total weight.
I think I am pretty good when it comes to yellowtail but there is no way that I consider myself capable of competing with someone like San Marcos Mike who fishes day in and day out under all kinds of conditions and manages to always catch more fish overall than anybody else out there. Sure there are days when I catch a bigger fish or even a few days when I manage to catch more fish, but I am not stupid enough to want to compare my catch for the season.
At least in the November tournament, it was big fish for two days running and Dave Hughes did a great job by catching a big fish two days in a row. Ed Hogan managed the biggest fish on the first day and then did not manage to put one in the hold on the second day.
I am just saying that on the bass and walleye circuit, the results at the end of the year would be entirely different if the winner came from the largest fish (only) of the tournament.
I also think that anybody that even placed in the tournament needed a lot of knowledge and skill to compete and that was certainly evident, I just wish the tournament committee would have set it up more as a contest rather than one lucky fish.

tournaments and fishing conservation

Skipjack Joe - 2-22-2006 at 12:36 PM

I just had an interesting thought about tournaments.

Basically all these boats go out and catch yellowtail which they bring back to port for 2 days hoping to place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. All the yellowtail that don't place are killed needlessly as I see it. Wouldn't it be better if all of the boats had radio communication and kept track amongst one another of what the 3 largest fish are at any time. Then, you could release the fish immediately if it measured less than the current top 3 fish. This could save a lot of yellotail, IMHO. The sportsman gets his pleasure at less cost to the fish.

I know this suggestion is impractical. For one thing there is no radio strong enough to reach all participants.

Perhaps this sort of thing is already occuring to some degree. I don't know. Tournaments are not my cup of tea.

capt. mike - 2-22-2006 at 01:52 PM

this fish was cooked at the awards banquet as i unnerstang it, and any extra am sure went to freezers for later dining - who would waste some of the best eating around?? as long as they don't bust the catch limits what's the problem with a tourney that does loads to promote the local economy?!:?:
hope i get to participate next time. and better weather.:cool:

tourney

mulege marv - 2-22-2006 at 02:15 PM

mr. pescador, i had a long response to your explaination on your first post, but i think its gone far enough. have a nice day, and good luck fishing !

Skipjack Joe - 2-22-2006 at 03:44 PM

Catch and Release helps a fishery and the Cortez fish stocks are in a decline. In a decline, despite the Mexican fish limits. It's just a suggestion to not take what you don't need.

All you have to do is compare the blue ribbon trout streams of Montana and Idaho in the 60's to what exists now. Up until catch and release and size limits was introduced to rivers like the Henry's Fork and the Madison you were lucky to find a trout over 12 inches. Now you can expect to catch a 16 incher or larger every day on those rivers. And you will catch more such fish. Despite the fact that the fishing pressure has increased by several factors. The local economy is also doing better now than in the past because people are attracted to a good fishery. People are consuming just as much fish protein now as in the past. Sure, a wild trout would be preferable on the table than a hatchery trout from Safeway, but that's really the only loss with the new system. I'm not very fond of Tilapia either.

I really believe that some form of catch and release will be the long range answer for the ocean sport fisheries near large population centers like Southern California. It may also be what eventually turns things around in Baja. Something will have to happen as the peninsula continues to grow and develop.

SJ Joe,

Hook - 2-22-2006 at 04:33 PM

I have often thought about your suggestion about keeping the contestants informed about the size of the fish on the leader board, by radio. While it wouldn't prevent me from keeping fish that are close to the leader (hey, hand scales in bouncing boats vary), it would prevent people from bringing back fish that are 10 lbs off the lead.

The problem is that most of the tournaments in Baja have an awards banquet and the fish turned in become the banquet fare. The top three fish probably aren't going to feed everyone.

In the Mulege Classic's defense, they are only allowing one entry per boat FOR THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT, if I read the rules correctly. And so, after the first day, you know what the leader's weight is and can decide to release all fish that are well under that weight. Even the first day, the boat only returns with the largest fish among all the persons on the boat. Outside of a pure C & R, honor-system tournament, what could be more conservation minded? You aren't going to be keeping YT alive in livewells for later release.

And who wants to eat carne asada at a fish tourney awards banquet? That's just not right........:lol:

While an aggregate total of fish weight IS probably a better indication of fishing skills, it would certainly lead to more fish being killed.

The current set-up tends to level the playing field which should encourage even greater participation, possibly even by non-locals. I cant match Kid Jurel or John Dinning or Alan Lewis or Rick Barber in multiple fish measures, but I might have a chance catching that ONE fish that beats them.

In the end, isn't it really about putting some money back into the community, rather than necessarily proving who the best fishermen are?

It's pretty apparent who the best fishermen are down there, anyway; tournament or no tournament.

I commend the Mulege Classics Tournament for running a very conservation minded tournament.

well put

mulege marv - 2-22-2006 at 04:39 PM

thank you !

Bruce R Leech - 2-22-2006 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I have often thought about your suggestion about keeping the contestants informed about the size of the fish on the leader board, by radio. While it wouldn't prevent me from keeping fish that are close to the leader (hey, hand scales in bouncing boats vary), it would prevent people from bringing back fish that are 10 lbs off the lead.

The problem is that most of the tournaments in Baja have an awards banquet and the fish turned in become the banquet fare. The top three fish probably aren't going to feed everyone.

In the Mulege Classic's defense, they are only allowing one entry per boat FOR THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT, if I read the rules correctly. And so, after the first day, you know what the leader's weight is and can decide to release all fish that are well under that weight. Even the first day, the boat only returns with the largest fish among all the persons on the boat. Outside of a pure C & R, honor-system tournament, what could be more conservation minded? You aren't going to be keeping YT alive in livewells for later release.

And who wants to eat carne asada at a fish tourney awards banquet? That's just not right........:lol:

While an aggregate total of fish weight IS probably a better indication of fishing skills, it would certainly lead to more fish being killed.

The current set-up tends to level the playing field which should encourage even greater participation, possibly even by non-locals. I cant match Kid Jurel or John Dinning or Alan Lewis or Rick Barber in multiple fish measures, but I might have a chance catching that ONE fish that beats them.

In the end, isn't it really about putting some money back into the community, rather than necessarily proving who the best fishermen are?

It's pretty apparent who the best fishermen are down there, anyway; tournament or no tournament.

I commend the Mulege Classics Tournament for running a very conservation minded tournament.

this is good Hook

Skipjack Joe - 2-22-2006 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
I cant match ....... Alan Lewis .....in multiple fish measures, but I might have a chance catching that ONE fish that beats them.

Are you sure about that Hook? I don't think you give yourself enough credit. ;D

It's really about the value of a fishery. I watch these billfish tournaments on ESPN Outdoors and they all seem to know who the winner is without a single fish being boated. It would be madness to kill all those marlin because you would be shooting yourself in the foot.

The largemouth bass tournaments now all keep their fish in livewells for weigh in. Imagine what these pros would do to those Alabama lakes if they were allowed to keep all of the fish for a barbeque for the audience.

The people of Christmas Island make all of their tourist dollars from visiting bonefishermen. Imagine them promoting a tournament for the biggest bonefish on the island. Even they understand the impact of such a thing. The islanders, a people who live from the sea, no longer harvest their own bonefish, which they consider to be very good eating.

Traditions die hard. Mexico has always been backward in managing it's own resources. It's manana until your back is to the wall.

But to put things in perspective. Comparatively speaking, these tournaments do little damage to the Cortez fisheries.

Hook - 2-23-2006 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
I cant match ....... Alan Lewis .....in multiple fish measures, but I might have a chance catching that ONE fish that beats them.

Are you sure about that Hook? I don't think you give yourself enough credit. ;D

It's really about the value of a fishery. I watch these billfish tournaments on ESPN Outdoors and they all seem to know who the winner is without a single fish being boated. It would be madness to kill all those marlin because you would be shooting yourself in the foot.

The largemouth bass tournaments now all keep their fish in livewells for weigh in. Imagine what these pros would do to those Alabama lakes if they were allowed to keep all of the fish for a barbeque for the audience.

The people of Christmas Island make all of their tourist dollars from visiting bonefishermen. Imagine them promoting a tournament for the biggest bonefish on the island. Even they understand the impact of such a thing. The islanders, a people who live from the sea, no longer harvest their own bonefish, which they consider to be very good eating.

Traditions die hard. Mexico has always been backward in managing it's own resources. It's manana until your back is to the wall.

But to put things in perspective. Comparatively speaking, these tournaments do little damage to the Cortez fisheries.

I think your last statement is the key. The effects of a conservation minded tournament are miniscule compared to the effects of the commercial fishing fleet and it's blatant violations of even the generous rules in place for them.

Should we, as fisherman, simply become C & R fishermen because of the havoc they have wrought? I think the compromise that many of us have made is to reduce our take to levels well under the legal limits.

And, no, I don't completely dismiss the possibility that I could outfish the people I mentioned. I have always felt that a large part of successful fishing involves a healthy amount of luck. But it is not likely that I can remain lucky enough over the course of an aggregate fish count.

But lucky enough to catch that ONE big fish?.............that's possible.