BajaNomad

DSL in La Paz?

LaPazFan - 2-24-2006 at 05:45 PM

What are your options for internet in La Paz - Are there companies that offer DSL - if so which companies and for how much per month?

thanks!

Pompano - 2-24-2006 at 05:49 PM

Just what is a D-S-L anyway? I should get to know these terms, I suppose. Would that be prodigy.net.mx like I see on so many Baja emails? I know that it is a dial-up connection, if that is any help. I use a satellite Internet hook-up via DirecWay, but obviously am not very computer savvy. Hope that tidbit helps.

[Edited on 2-25-2006 by Pompano]

LaPazFan - 2-24-2006 at 06:11 PM

Digital Subscriber Line - a generic name for digital lines that are provided by telephone companies to their local subscribers and that carry data at high speeds.

So you use satellite Internet hook-up via DirecWay - How much do you pay per month if you don't mind me asking and are you happy with the service?

thanks!

Tucker - 2-24-2006 at 06:13 PM

DSL is available in La Paz.

LaPazFan - 2-24-2006 at 06:23 PM

What is the name of the company that you use? I just did a search on Prodigy and it seems people passionately hate that company:

http://www.baja.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000046.html

Thanks for your help!

Tucker - 2-24-2006 at 06:36 PM

Telmex is the only game in town, 512 download, 128 up load, I haven't had any problems.

[Edited on 2-25-2006 by Tucker]

Bruce R Leech - 2-24-2006 at 06:38 PM

Prodigy is the main game in town in La Paz. I use it here In Mulege and the service is very good. about 350 pesos a month for the 512 service.

Don Alley - 2-24-2006 at 06:58 PM

I use Prodigy/Telmex in Loreto. Aside from problems at their end getting it up and running, service has been good, as reliable as any I've had in Montana.

I originally signed up for 250 service, they since upgraded that to 512. Actual download speeds have been about 425-450, pretty much par for the course for DSL.

Telmex, in general, still sux but I've had other bizzarre phone companies in the states too.

Pompano - 2-25-2006 at 06:43 AM

LaPazFan,

There ya go...lots of good answers from nomads. As to my satellite Internet, I pay about $60 monthly and am very happy with it. This setup is very fast..but don't know the numeric tech-term equivalent...just REAL FAST.

We are an 'off the grid' home and as such have no phone line to hook up to, but I doubt I would do it in any case. Phone 'lines' create a ringing noise, right?

We use a computer Internet phone service...CrystalvoiceLive.com..but there are others like Skype that work as well. A very effective communication tool with many features phone lines lack.

My opinion...In your La Paz case, I think that Prodigy would be best for economy and an easy set-up. Best of luck down there.