BajaNomad

Apparently Baja's "free zone" is less free than Sonora's.

Hook - 2-27-2006 at 03:33 PM

I have read a first hand account of a person who was told by the manager of Marina San Carlos (Kiki Grossman) that TIPS are no longer required to launch or slip out of San Carlos. This is a result of the "free zone" being extended south to Empalme in early December, 2005. Actually, in that area, a TIP was never required to simply launch and retrieve without touching land in another port.

I guess this begs the question.......WHY HAS THE OFFICE IN SANTA ROSALIA BEGUN TO ENFORCE THIS EVEN THOUGH ALL OF BAJA IS SUPPOSEDLY A FREE ZONE?

The only explanations I can come up with are:

1-it only applies to those who chose to leave their boats in Mexico while they return to the U.S. (although that is NOT apparently the case in San Carlos)

2-it is being misinterpreted by officials in Santa Rosalia

3-it is Mexico.

Why on earth is this now being required of the simple trailerboater in Santa Rosalia? There are now several hundred miles of Sea of Cortez on the mainland that is not even requiring this of a slipped boat. Why the SR/Mulege area?

Are there ANY trailerboaters out there who launch in Loreto and La Paz and Cabo who can confirm that this is now being enforced on persons WHO DO NOT LEAVE THEIR BOATS IN MEXICO WHEN THEY RETURN TO THE U.S.

I really think that the office in SR is misinterpreting the law. Please convince me otherwise.

Bruce R Leech - 2-27-2006 at 04:34 PM

3-it is Mexico. is the correct answer

Frank - 2-27-2006 at 06:56 PM

Well I guess I'll find out in April.......

Hook - 2-28-2006 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Well I guess I'll find out in April.......

Are you planning on leaving your boat in Mexico when you return to the States, Frank?

Frank - 2-28-2006 at 05:24 PM

Hopefully it will be coming home with me :lol: Heard the Loreto YT bite was good, maybe staying in Loreto instead of the East Cape.