BajaNomad

Panga Motor Question

Big Al - 3-7-2006 at 09:13 AM

I am looking at buying a 21 foot Amato Panga, 7.5' beam. It has a 2-stroke 85 hp Yamaha. Is this enough power for this size boat?

Thanks,

Big Al

Diver - 3-7-2006 at 09:26 AM

Take it out and see.
I would think its probably enough for one-man fishing and economical but not enough hp to plane quickly, especially with a few guests onboard.

I've seen them powered with everything from 65hp to 150hp.

Bob and Susan - 3-7-2006 at 09:49 AM

Don't EVEN consider it UNLESS you test it first....

I've seen and HAD many "driveway boats":lol:

Just cause it starts and runs great in the driveway it may puke under pressure.
Run it at least an hour at full out.

Capt. George - 3-7-2006 at 10:29 AM

Run slow and run it hard....but run it before you buy it!!!!!

Gotta run it under load....Capt G

Pangas are good

pangamadness - 3-7-2006 at 11:52 PM

All good advice! Also before you try it in the h20 squirt a little gas from the line out of the line into a glass jar and look for water and dirt. Try and do it without going through the filter. Also see if the prop will come off easy.

Like the others say, run it with the bait tank full, the gas tank full, and three people on the boat. If you can do 21 knots without going full throttle you are doing good.

Look closely at the hull for gel coat cracks. Look on the bottom around where the boat sits on the trailer.

Capt. George - 3-8-2006 at 07:09 AM

You also could drop a bit of the lower unit lube, if it's milky, it's a problem.

what year is the engine? Take the cowl off at visually inspect block...if it's extra clean, it's probably good...do all the other stuff as a precaution.
Anything can be made to look good.......even me!

Capt. george Buenos Suertes

Hook - 3-8-2006 at 09:14 PM

If it's an 85 horse Yamaha, then it was built in the mid 80s or earlier.

Definitely get a compression test. The tester's are really not expensive. Ideally, all should be above 100 with no more than 5 psi difference between the three cylinders.

If that thing has spent it's life in Mexico, I would steer clear. Probably burned a bunch a Nova and Extra and early MagnaSin and TCWII oil. No bueno, Al.