BajaNomad

I'm dreaming of a white Baja

TacoFeliz - 3-14-2006 at 11:28 AM

Holy Moly! We ran down the pavement on the Pacific side stopping at La Lobera, El Rosario and then LA Bay and Montevideo. Then out, north and east through a very pretty and wet Calamajue canyon to Coco's to drop off the photos friend Stan fixed and blew up for him. When we arrived the wind was a steady 20 knots and gusting and everything that wasn't tied down was getting taken down and stowed.

Headed for a late lunch at Alphonsina's and watched two shrimpers (one broken, the other towing) try to moor in a heavy offshore breeze. One of the local gringos came in and said his anemometer was reading a steady 40 with gusts to 70. The water was solid whitecaps with flying foam and churn about six feet off the water! We stuffed ourselves and had a beer.

Went up the Puertocitos road to run into the last of the San Felipe 250 racers, gassed up in town and headed out 5 to 3 to camp in the desert. Came across a freshly VERY wrecked Tundra chase truck with no one in sight and camped a couple of miles down the dirt road. Blew and rained hard (water through the window stitching on the pop-top) all night, then got up to find snow from one end of the San Pedro Martirs to the other down to about 2000 feet. 34 frigging degrees. Crossed 3 and more snow, a foot or more deep from Mike's turnoff to Valle de Trinidad and beyond.

Headed home, usual border mayhem but our crack homeland security guys had their computers down so the vehicle check was 'old-style'.

Wow. Amazing Baja.

Happytaco

BAJACAT - 3-15-2006 at 07:43 PM

Sounds like a good trip, how is the road, headind to Coco's and Bola begining of april..

Roads no problem

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 06:34 PM

The roads are pretty much like the last couple of years, though the LA Bay road has turnouts added and some newish pavement. The off-pavement tracks have some new washouts and ruts, but no real eye-openers. You'll have no problems if you're paying attention. Have a great trip!

New Turnouts on L.A. Bay Hwy.

David K - 3-22-2006 at 06:40 PM

Frank - 3-22-2006 at 07:11 PM

Im calling BS without pics....:biggrin:

Cold Cold Cold Baja 3/12/06

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:17 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:19 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:20 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:21 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:21 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:22 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:23 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:23 PM

TacoFeliz - 3-22-2006 at 08:25 PM

WAY too dang cold :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank - 3-22-2006 at 10:14 PM

Wow thanks for the pics. I only go to Baja when it reaches 100 degrees:lol:, hard to imagine snow where its hot enough to make my truck bedliner soft. Thanks again.

David K - 3-23-2006 at 09:39 AM

Great photos! The last ones looked like Valle Trinidad area (San Matias, too)??

bajaandy - 3-23-2006 at 11:26 AM

Nice photos! I'd been wanting to see the latest shots of the Sierra San Pedro Martir as I'll be attempting Picacho del Diablo soon. Granted it won't be 'til the first weekend of May, but knowing what it looks like now will help with the planning. Again, nice shots!

Good eye David

TacoFeliz - 3-23-2006 at 06:51 PM

Early AM on Sunday in the foothills by highway 3 camping, then on through Valle de Trinidad. The snow was all the way to Ojos.

Jay

White Angel - 3-23-2006 at 07:52 PM

While the snow might be a fun event for you Baja residents; it's not what I've got in mind as an escape from the New England weather! Was this just a fluke storm last week? We're headed to Melings in about two weeks. Do I pack my ski clothes? First few days are on the Pacific-Estero Beach and San Quintin. Is it chilly there too? Thought we'd avoid Gonzaga this trip; but I'm already missing the warm beach at Alfonsinas.

bajalou - 3-23-2006 at 08:46 PM

In 96 or 97, highway 3 between Ensenada and Hghy 5 was closed 3 days because of the snow.

COLD PICTURES

BAJACAT - 3-24-2006 at 12:00 AM

White Angel

Hook - 3-28-2006 at 12:13 AM

There is a chance that elevations above 5000 feet may get a foot of new snow over the next 36 hours.

David K - 3-28-2006 at 12:30 AM

Meling Guest Ranch (Rancho San Jose) is 2,280' ASL at the airstrip there.

Yes, bring your jackets... snow gear can stay home! The road up to the observatory from the Meling Ranch climbs to 9,280' in 30 miles.... If you feel the need!

White Angel - 3-28-2006 at 07:54 AM

David-Some 8 or 10 years ago (Melings was closed; but there was a family member living in the main house-Duane perhaps?) We drove up to the observatory despite warnings of snow. Hell of a trip! A few times we feared we'd made a huge mistake; but made it up and it was beautiful once the snow stopped. If our Jeep has the right rubber on it; might go back up next week. Still-I'd prefer shorts and T-shirts to my woolies!

David K - 3-28-2006 at 08:11 AM

In July, 2000 they were closed and the surviving family members were squabbling over their late mother's property (Aida)... Sonja was there at the time, but Duane returned, took over, and reopened the ranch to guests... She then sold it, but still operates the guest ranch I think.

A great book is 'Where the Old West Never Died' about the Meling Ranch...

Cypress - 3-28-2006 at 10:58 AM

Dreaming of Snow?

It's snowing right now here in the high country!

Taco de Baja - 3-30-2006 at 09:17 AM

Went up to the San Pedro Martir for New Years in 1998. Got down to the low 20's at night.
Brought some sleds and inner-tubes with us just in case, and had fun on a few tiny snow covered slopes. SKI BAJA!

Diver - 3-30-2006 at 09:24 AM

It wouldn't be Nomads without this picture of JR !!

Ski on, JR Baja / Ski Baja !!

[Edited on 3-30-2006 by Diver]

Meling Ranch Update

David K - 3-31-2006 at 09:40 AM

I recieved this email from a family member with the current scoop on the Meling Ranch, with a link to the web site...

David K

I see that you added a posting on the Baja Nomad BB, on 03/28/06, regarding the
Meling Ranch or Rancho San Jose.

My name in Chuck McCullough, I’m a member of the extended family that owns the
ranch. I am a great-grandson to Harry and Ella Johnson and a grandson on Laura
Johnson McCullough.

First I’d like to apologize for my families public squabbles, we have a long
history of arguing over what's best for the ranch. Unfortunately sometime these
decisions spill over into the public arena.

Secondly I’d like to give you some current information on the ranch and it’s
owners. Rancho San Jose or the old ranch, as some of us are now calling it, is
currently owned my David Lang and his wife Sandra Meling Lang. You can contact
them via the ranch web site: http://www.melingguestranch.com/index.php David and
Sandra are doing a fine job of operating the ranch and have numerous projects in
the works to improve it. Andrea Meling, Sandra’s sister, is managing the
guest ranch.

Duane is still living on the old ranch. She has a small place Northwest of the
main ranch about 3 miles.

Also Jovita, Esteban, and Alfredo Meling are still the owners and operators of
Rancho el Coyote.

Now the last item, you made reference to the book 'Where the Old West Never
Died' and posted a picture of the dust cover. The book was published in 1968 and
never printed again, as far as I know. It’s been out of print far too long.
The family has recently acquired ownership of the Copyright and we plan to
republish the book in the near future. I don’t know what the price will be but
it will be available at both guest ranches or from me.

I see you’re a frequent poster on BB’s relating to Baja. If you ever have
need of information on the ranch send me an e-mail. We currently do not have a
telephone or the Internet at the ranch. I’ll do whatever I can to gather
current information or correct any problems that a guest of the ranch may have
had.

Thank you for your time.
--
Chuck McCullough