BajaNomad

One week in La Paz, but which week?

n8nlee - 3-30-2006 at 08:26 PM

I have a week to go fishing in La Paz this summer (anywhere from 6/18 - 9/1). I'm thinking of the 7/6 - 7/11 but I was worried that the July 4th crowds might still be around. I would rather not fight them for water space, boat hire...etc. I'm looking for the best chance for lots of variety, and of course the best chance at the bluewter species of tuna and wahoo.

Thanks,
Nate

[Edited on 3-31-2006 by n8nlee]

bajajudy - 3-31-2006 at 07:05 AM

I have never noticed July 4th being a big holiday here. Maybe its different in La Paz. The water will be too warm for tuna but you will probably catch some dorado.

vandenberg - 3-31-2006 at 08:46 AM

Like Pompano says, there are much better places to fish then La Paz. Long boat ride to the grounds there Maybe give Loreto a shot. Try flyfishing Pam at Bajabigfish. She'll have all the particulars and has a great reputation here. Usually lots of Dorado here the time of year you mention.

Lots of luck !!

Skipjack Joe - 3-31-2006 at 01:22 PM

n8nlee,

The entire period you chose is real good. As the weather gets hotter, so does the fishing. The yellowfin usually show up some time in July but the longer you wait the better your chance of getting into them. Late summer is more reliable than early summer. If you can tolerate the heat, I would pick August.

Check out these guys: www.fishabout.com

They have a setup where you drive in the morning from La Paz to Pt Arena and board your panga there. Pt. Arena and the south end of Cerralvo are probably the best areas in that part of Baja. You save yourself a one hour boat ride (if you can talk the panguero to taking you there) and a backache to boot.

Good luck, and have a wonderful trip.

If wahoo is truly a must.......

Hook - 3-31-2006 at 05:22 PM

....then you probably dont want to go any farther NORTH than La Paz. Just not that common in the counts north of there.

The best odds for the best variety of pelagics would probably be had by fishing out of San Jose del Cabo. I'd go with Gordo Banks pangas. If you want a cruiser, then I'd consider Cabo Magic out of Cabo San Lucas or maybe a cruiser out of Verdugo's in Los Barilles or a cruiser out of Rancho Buena Vista.

But wahoo are't common anywhere except, at times, Alijos Rocks west of Cabo San Lazaro. Long Range boats only.

If you're willing to sacrifice wahoo, then Baja Big Fish in Loreto would be a good choice for the other species.

Or, there are a couple good pangueros out of the Serenidad in Mulege. Pomp will remember their names; I cant right now.

[Edited on 4-1-2006 by Hook]

Hotel Punta Colorada-----

Barry A. - 3-31-2006 at 05:45 PM

---It has been a few years now, but we always had a great time with the 5 day fishing package out of the Hotel Punta Colorada, owned by Bobby and Cha Cha Van Wormer----------fly on Alaska Airlines to Los Cabos, van picks you up and takes you to the hotel, 3 solid days of fishing from a 24 foot cruizer, 2 free days to do what you want, all you can eat community style, great rooms with AC, and a really nice location, all for about $600.

Bob and Susan - 3-31-2006 at 05:47 PM

Mulege Pangueros

Abel ?Gringo? Mexia (615) 153-0653
Mateo Apodaca (615) 153-0785
Alejandro Buckovecz (615) 153-0540
Manuel Antonio (615) 153-0029
Jos? Lu?s (615) 153-0440

n8nlee - 3-31-2006 at 09:40 PM

I guess I should provide a little more detail. I will be visiting a friend and we'll be spearfishing. Right now, the plan is to dive two days in the Sea and two days over on the Pacific side. We will have boats, friends with boats.

thanks

Diver - 3-31-2006 at 09:46 PM

Spearfishing for Wahoo and Tuna ? :no:

n8nlee - 4-1-2006 at 06:33 AM

:?::?: Diver, You don't think it can be done, or you don't like seeing it done? Personal friends have shot tuna 70-310lb tuna from Puerto Vallarta to Costa Rica.

Well, for diving....

Hook - 4-1-2006 at 09:39 AM

then La Paz is probably your best bet. More seamounts than most other places, where pelagics frequent.

I've heard of people spearing tunas but never a wahoo.

bajajudy - 4-1-2006 at 01:47 PM

I dont think that I would want to be in the water with a speared but not dead Wahoo....:o

Diver - 4-1-2006 at 02:03 PM

Although I've speared 350 LB jewfish and some huge grouper and a few 5-6' long baracuda, I'd hesitate to try a large tuna and even more a big wahoo, with a speargun or pole; too much energy. Maybe I'm just getting old ??