BajaNomad

flatbottom boat

tippytoestrish - 4-26-2006 at 01:53 PM

Hi all, No I'm not tippytoestriish I'm her husband, Bryan. I have a guestion that has been knawing(sp) at my brian and believe me, I can't afford to loose any more of those precious cells. Here's the ?. I'm wondering why a flatbottom boat won't work on the Sea of Cortez out of Loreto. I've been told its not agood idea; I think I have been told this because of safety reasons. Well I know it won't work on rough seas, but I also know that the water there can be very clam and flat many times. I also have seen many kayaks out on the sea when I've been down there before. Would someone please explain this to me better so I don't feel like I'm missing out on so many opportunities by not bringing my boat. Thanks, Bryan.

Bob and Susan - 4-26-2006 at 02:06 PM

take the boat....

it isn't any worse than the colorado river or any lakein California.

Just don't go out 60 miles..the winds come up fast.

Lots of people don't bring ski boats either and they are missing some of the best water around.

comitan - 4-26-2006 at 02:34 PM

Bryan

Flatbottom boats flip over easy, the wind can come up fast and get very rough for that type of boat,safety, safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob and Susan - 4-26-2006 at 02:36 PM

yea but that hapens everywhere....

the only solution is sell the boat

Sharksbaja - 4-26-2006 at 03:56 PM

and if u get stuck in the sand you have sumpin' to put under the wheels:tumble:

Take it

baitcast - 4-26-2006 at 04:24 PM

Bryan take the boat!!! You didn,t mention the length but I assume it is 12' to 14',flat bottom of that type don.t have much in the way of freeboard which is nice to have,but hey I,ve taken a 12' porta-bote to bola and fished Smith and all the islands in the bay,Loreto did south end of carmen and everything in between.

A few thoughts on the subject.

1..No long trips
2..Try to fish area,s where there are islands close in,
there is always a lee side close by where you can wait out a blow.

Just make sure you don,t forget where you are, good fishing can be very distracting,Take it Bryan and have a great time:bounce::
BAITCAST

comitan - 4-26-2006 at 04:43 PM

Bryan

Memorial sponsored by Baitcast:lol::lol::lol::lol:

tippytoestrish - 4-26-2006 at 05:47 PM

Baitcast, my boat is 18' long X 5' wide. It has a cabin on it which is 3' high. It is all aluminum and has a flat deck in front of the cabin(kind of like a bass boat does). The boat depth is only about 2' deep. Dose this sound like it would be safe enough for Cortez? This boat is originally from Louisiana. It is a river,lake, and duck hunting boat.(I dont do the third). It has been one of the best fishing(freshwater only) boats I have ever had. It's color is O.D. Army green. Probably one of the ugliest boats you've ever seen. Bryan

Bob and Susan - 4-26-2006 at 05:54 PM

i changed my mind now...

leave it home...

i thought it was a flat racing boat...

with gelcoat

comitan - 4-26-2006 at 06:13 PM

Baitcast

The Porta-boat being what it is slow, but has a semi-V bottom and freeboard, I would consider it to be more seaworthy than a flatbottom alum. w/cabin.

pic

baitcast - 4-26-2006 at 08:09 PM

Any chance you could post a pic of your boat?
that would help a bunch.
BAITCAST

Bryan----

Barry A. - 4-27-2006 at 11:05 AM

------I will put it another way-----In some 55 years of going to Baja, I have NEVER seen a flat-bottem boat out on the pond. None of the locals that I have ever seen, have a flat-bottom boat. I think that is the biggest clue-----the locals are usually right, and know what is "best".

Now, a 12 or 14 foot Gregor or Valco tin boat, with a semi-v, that is another issue. I did use my 12' Fury Alum., which is a boat made in the S. USA for fresh water stuff, in Baja for several years using a 10hp outboard-----but eventually I broke it's back on a big swell (went airborne) and had to retire it. Most boats made for Freshwater only are just not rugged enough for the Baja chop, and I would say that is especially true for a flat-bottem boat.

Just my opinion, of course.

flatbottom boat

tippytoestrish - 4-27-2006 at 11:22 AM

Just a note to all of you who responded to my inqury; Thank You for all of your input. I think it's great to be able to have such experience and wisdom available to me just by pressing a few keys on the keyboard. I appreciate the time you took to help me out . Sincerely, Bryan.

bajarich - 4-27-2006 at 09:30 PM

Flat bottom boats are fine on flat water. When the waves come up they follow the waves and become very unstable, rocking a lot more than a rounded or flared hull. They have very hard chines, which are the corners where the bottom meets the sides. That means when they lean over too much, they will tip suddenly. The ideal shape is to have a gradual transition from the bottom to a flared side so as it leans it presents more surface area. Flared boats may feel a little tippier on flat water but are much more seaworthy when it gets rough. Be that as it may, if the water is flat, go ahead and take it out, but watch the wind carefully.