BajaNomad

Sailboat fishing?

Don Alley - 4-27-2006 at 03:24 PM

Sometimes I'd fish with a friend in his Lido 14, outside of Marina del Rey, for bonito. That was back when there were tons of bonito, mid to late 1960s. We were kids, and that was the only way we could get out farther than the piers or jettys without paying for a party boat, or getting my dad to take us out. The boat was maybe a bit slow for trolling, but it was a lot faster than the jetty. :)

I was not supposed to go outside the marina in that boat, but always did, and that's also where that class raced.

I sometimes wonder how a small sailboat like that would sail in the short chop around Loreto...not so good, I'd think.

That is a beautiful dory in the picture.

bill erhardt - 4-27-2006 at 03:38 PM

On a trip to Cuba a few years ago I trolled lures and caught wahoo and yellowfin tuna. Just be ready to back the jib and come into irons if you hook up with a nice one. Now if this forum runs true to form somebody will pipe up and ask if is not illegal to go to Cuba.

Tomas Tierra - 4-27-2006 at 04:42 PM

In '89 I sailed a catalina 34 from Oxnard to Panama (35 days to cabo, now thats gunk holing!!)..We dragged a "boat line" (1/8 th inch nylon cord to a heavy leeder and trolling feather, with a bungee up by the boat so you know when your hooked up) with great success..Dorado, yellowfin,yf tuna, bonito, amberjack, barraccuda, and more than a couple unknown breakoffs.at least one of those was some type of billfish(saw the strike,big bill out of the water one head nod,broke off)..

My biggest regret on that trip was,well other than not letting the french girl jump on in cabo(the boat), was not having a propper troll set up..yanking in fish,and loosing alot, with the boat line was not much fun...Lots of great meals were provided though..

By far the best fishing of the trip was along the Pac. coast of Baja Sur..ALIVE...

Bruce R Leech - 4-27-2006 at 05:02 PM

we always were dragging something astern when sailing. cought lots of fish

Ceviche!!

Tomas Tierra - 4-29-2006 at 09:28 PM

jack

Tomas Tierra - 4-29-2006 at 09:29 PM

woody with a view - 4-30-2006 at 06:20 AM

last weekend my mom-in-law was telling 3 generations some stories of the old days in peru. one of the stories involved sailing and fishing for bonito. she said the bonito carpeted the surface of the ocean back then. they would lower a hook back while traveling at full speed and use nothing more than a strip of cloth on the hook and that's all it took!