BajaNomad

Flare Guns

Paladin - 5-5-2006 at 06:39 PM

What are the best brands for flare guns the use the 12 guage flares

Thanks

Oso - 5-5-2006 at 07:53 PM

Not sure about "best" but Olin is the most common.

Paladin - 5-5-2006 at 10:39 PM

Does anyone by chance if they 2 3/4 in or 3 in shells???
Low base, high base or mags???

bajalou - 5-5-2006 at 10:45 PM

They are built to NOT chamber loads, just flares

jerry - 5-6-2006 at 08:33 AM

but i wouldnt want to be hit by a flare when we were down in mexico we asked about flare gun and was told that if we had it in the boat it was ok but if cought with it in the pickup or anywhere out of the boat they would treat it like a gun so be carefull
have a good one jerry

Paladin - 5-6-2006 at 09:56 AM

I have seen other posts about being careful with flare guns in Baja...thanks for the advice

I'm still curious however...I'm told the flare guns will shoot a 12 guage shot gun shell...lets call it a California question if it is easier to answer.

Has anyone experimented with shooting lets say low base 8's or the like???

I would imagine it would have a heck of a pattern at 10 yards or so??

bajalou - 5-6-2006 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
They are built to NOT chamber loads, just flares

I still believe this is correct - but walk into your nearest sporting goods store and ask them.

Bob and Susan - 5-6-2006 at 10:07 AM

...mine shoots 12 guage shot gun shells...

my father in law loads them...

flare gun adaptor

pacificobob - 5-7-2006 at 09:38 AM

there is a company i believe called" pirates plague" making an adaptor that enables a flare gun to shot a .38 cal round. ive seen them advertised in the back of boating mags. for sure in the back of 'passegemaker " magazine.

Paladin - 5-7-2006 at 10:04 AM

Bob
That the kind of info I was looking for....strickly a Calif question of course
I think I would be more comfortable with maybe "reloaded" flares though.

Having .38's around would be a problem if I leave calif

Also I would think one shot with low base 8's or so would sure keep a pack of dogs away from home...in calif

Paladin - 5-7-2006 at 10:08 AM

Bob

You were right on...Google answers everything
heres the link

http://www.captainforhire.com/products.htm

Thanks again

Paladin - 6-4-2006 at 11:07 AM

In case there are some folks still curious about flare guns and 12 guage shells I think I found the answers for California.
The 12 guage flares do shoot in a shot gun but the 12 G shot gun shells apparently do not fit in flare guns...the reason appears to be a 12 guage shot gun shell is 2 3/4 in and the 12 G flares are 2 1/2...it looks like some of those 26.5 MM flare guns have an insert to convert to 12 G flares because they are much cheaper but have a ring inside at the end to keep the 2 3/4 shell from fitting. My sons a mechanic and he told me its very easy to drill out the ring and thus will fire the 12 G shot gun shell quite easily...
Curiousity killed the cat and satisfaction brought him back

comitan - 6-4-2006 at 11:23 AM

In Mexico its not just guns that are illegal so is ammunition, without a gun.

Phil S - 6-4-2006 at 03:39 PM

I be travelin in Baja for past 15 years, and haven't once (even while camping for 8 of those years) had one reason to want to carry something like a flare gun, or concealed gun matter of fact. (knock on wood)