BajaNomad

stinky dead fish

Don Alley - 5-14-2006 at 04:36 PM

We put the kayaks in at Doctor's Point, aka El Bajo, just north of Loreto, this morning. Just north of the point, close inshore, were hundreds of dead fish. Stinky!

Giant damselfish, angelfish, many, many small 1-2 inch fish, sargeant majors, an eel, a few squid, a hawkfish, lots of puffers, many many small anchovie-like fish. The water was green, murky, I wonder if there was some kind of algae or dinoflagellate type kill.

There were still many reef fish in the area, and none seemed in distress. Fishing was poor, but not far away, off Doctor's Point, fishing remained very good for barred pargo, ladyfish, an occasional yellowtail snapper, maybe too many creole fish, but no cabrilla today. All caught on cast megabaits jigs.

Stinky squid

bajajudy - 5-15-2006 at 07:54 AM

This morning on our walk we saw about 100 dead squid washed up on the beach. They were about 8-10 inches long and red. Dont have time right now to look them up.

Phil S - 5-15-2006 at 08:02 AM

Don. Is Doctor's Point an o.k. place to leave vehicles while off kayaking the area? Been tempted several times I've been there, but don't know how safe it's been in the past!!!!!!
Did you stop by at the new restaurant coming back to Loreto to eat, just south of Doctor's Point? I made several attempts to go up there last winter, but got sidetracked each time.

Don Alley - 5-15-2006 at 09:43 AM

Is Doctor's Point OK for vehicles? I really don't know...I've taken my 1991 F150 up there many times and never had a problem. Just in case I leave nothing to steal except the spare tire, kayak wheels and straps.

I have not heard of any problems there.

I have not stopped at La Picazon restaurant yet. We would have yesterday but they're closed Sunday and Monday.

With all the other good fishing in the area....

Hook - 5-16-2006 at 03:16 PM

....I wonder if it was bycatch from commercial netting?????

Don Alley - 5-16-2006 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

But the mesh would have to be tiny to kill all those anchovy type fish and other small fish, wouldn't it?

A neighbor thinks it was dynamite. He says the local panga longliners use it to get bait quickly. :no:

I went south of Ensenada Blance on the yak today...fishing was poor, several commercials working the points and another gillnet at the isla we were at.

Have you reported this to the Marine Park?

flyfishinPam - 5-17-2006 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

But the mesh would have to be tiny to kill all those anchovy type fish and other small fish, wouldn't it?

A neighbor thinks it was dynamite. He says the local panga longliners use it to get bait quickly. :no:

I went south of Ensenada Blance on the yak today...fishing was poor, several commercials working the points and another gillnet at the isla we were at.

What makes your neighbor think it was dynamite? If the fish were caught in a net then removed they will usually have marks from the net but if not them who knows? I think this is definately worth reporting to the Marine Park. I see this is from the 14th of May (mothers day americano). Will ask my captains if they've seen anything similar.

Pescador - 5-19-2006 at 07:07 AM

I have seen this a couple of times in Baja and I think it may be related to a zooplankton bloom which takes the oxygen out of the water. Last year we had some rather large blooms around San Bruno and at least once there were dead fish. The water takes on a real red cast.