BajaNomad

Surfing in Oct

Marie-Rose - 5-20-2006 at 04:06 PM

Just booked flights to Los Cabos Mid Oct. Bringing my 22 yr old and 2 of his buddies.
They surf the west coast of Vanc. Island and are looking for details on what to look forward to when surfing Baja. Planning on buying boards there. (is this a good idea?)
Will be based in Todos Santos but I plan on dumping them of at the beach with a tent (and food of course):lol::spingrin:, for awhile!!!
What will the waves, water temp be like?

The Sculpin - 5-20-2006 at 05:15 PM

They wont need wetsuits! Just rashguards. October is the time of year for the chubascos to hit from the south. The best place for them to be dropped off is in the east cape - around the tip from Todos Santos. However, Todos has a great surfspot that should be firing if the swell gets big enough - La Pastora to the north of town. It can get 20 feet! If you're going to buy boards down there, you may want to call Alex Olea at Costa Azul surf shop and have him make the boards before you get there becuase there just isn't too much selection. He has a website - costaazul.com (?) There are other surf shops, but I don't have any experience with them, so naturally they're not any good!

Have your son do some basic surf research on the area and he'll be plenty knowledgeable.

the sculpin knows of what he speaks...

woody with a view - 5-20-2006 at 05:26 PM

it ain't a kiddie pool that you just "drop the kids off at:moon:" if there is a swell it can get heavy:o: october is when the temps moderate but there can still be a monster of a hurricane (if we're lucky!):bounce:.

anyway......sounds fun!