BajaNomad

Loreto Fishing Report - May 21

bill erhardt - 5-21-2006 at 09:34 AM

Dorado action slowed in Loreto the first part of the month and has since picked up a bit with bigger fish, if you are lucky enough to find them and get them to bite. The water is unseasonably warm, reaching into the low 80's by afternoon. All the dorado I have caught this Spring spit up squid at the boat and there are also schools of sardines and flying fish to provide an alternative to whatever bait you may be using. There are clumps of seaweed, but no paddies to speak of. The fish are scattered and any floating debris, even a gallon water jug, may be holding fish. The best fishing I have found has been 30 - 50 miles north to east of the marina, but the weather has cooperated in making the long runs tolerable. I fished two days last week out of Loreto.
On Wednesday, May 17 I fished east of Isla Catalana and north. I caught 3 small dorado 15 miles off Catalana, and a keeper 25 lb. hen full of eggs in the afternoon heading back in via Punta Lobo.
On Friday I fished 35 - 50 miles east of the marina. I caught a 25 lb. bull early and a couple of hours later found what appeared to be the remains of a sea lion or other animal or fish. There were dorado of all sizes around the debris. I mined it for 9 more dorado, the largest 2, 37 lbs., two others 25 - 30 lbs. and the rest smaller. The fish I caught averaged well over 20 lbs. I got a lot of bumps from smaller fish on the marlin feathers I was trolling but the bigger ones tended to hit and stick.
On both days I saw a few tailing and jumping marlin and also sailfish, but could interest none of them in my feathers.