BajaNomad

Los barilles report

deltabighat - 5-22-2006 at 11:49 AM

Our group spent four days (5-17 to 5-21) fishing Los Barilles. Stayed at the Los Barilles Hotel which was very nice. Fished two days and the group caught and released 13 marlin, 14-15 small roosters, a Toro a couple Jack Crevelle and some assorted others. Fishing was outstanding, crews and boats very good. The food at Tio Pablo's was outstanding as usual.

DBH

Catch and release

Sharksbaja - 5-22-2006 at 12:22 PM

Can you tell us the technique used to release the billfish?
Were hooks left in any? How large were the animals?

Were there many fishing? Thanx

deltabighat - 5-22-2006 at 01:34 PM

The largest marlin boated was about 180 lbs, the smallest aboujt 60 lbs, they were all striped and all released in good shape. The deck man brought in the leader by hand, removed the hook with pliers and they were gone. In my boat, he lifted one up for pictures and held it by the bill. Other boats reported one tail fouled but released in good shape. We had seven guys and three boats each day. They did not release them in the proper way I am told by holding them in the water and forcing the water thru the gill plates, they just sort of tossed them back. None that I saw were released with hooks still in or any bleeding. All the roosters caught were very small because of problems getting the proper bait (ladyfish). All we had were small live sardines and larger dead baitfish. The fishing, all in all, was the best I have had in over 15 years of fishing the East Cape.

DBH

bajajudy - 5-22-2006 at 02:41 PM

Thanks DBH
That is a good report and I am sure that we are all happy to hear that your fishing was better than before.