BajaNomad

Sirenita - a question or two.

SiReNiTa - 5-29-2006 at 01:30 PM

answer is complete in the teens forum under "life"...but you are right it is very difficult especially going to school...trying to be accepted in a culture that is soooo different from my mom's...

Skeet/Loreto - 5-29-2006 at 02:54 PM

Nita;
In 1972 Bill and Betty Riffe arrived in Loreto with their three year old Blond Daughter. they built and still live in the first and only "Round House in Loreto.
Daughter went through the complete School System- When she turned 18 she went to the States- Oregon State University- On to a Job with Enterprise Rental as a Training Executive- then to Cintas Corporation as a Training Exec.
She is a very fine Young Lady! She relates that her very good experiences growing up in Loreto as the only White, Blond gave her the basis for a Happy Life.

I think that you show in your words many of the same qualities!

I think that you will Soar to greater Heights!!

Skeet/Loreto

SiReNiTa - 5-29-2006 at 04:48 PM

jeez thank's...i'm hoping to go to college in USD, marine sciences so...it's kind of realted...i hope i make it!

Skipjack Joe - 5-30-2006 at 11:27 AM

University of Washington has a fine marine science department. You might consider them. They have a great lab at Friday Harbor and it's a beautiful place to study.

One thing about marine biology, Sirenita, you will often be doing your work in some of the most beautiful places on the planet.

A good field Sirenita

Sharksbaja - 5-30-2006 at 12:03 PM

OSU has a great Marine Science dept and a outstanding Marine Science Center just across the bay from us.

Reeljob - 5-31-2006 at 07:03 PM

I can't help it. That picture.............

I spent my younger years in Salem and with my dad and grandpa, spent many a day fishing under that bridge on a boat they probably wouldn't even allow on the highway let along the water.

If'n I was going to school, that would certainily be top of the list for studying Marine Bio.

Tomas Tierra - 5-31-2006 at 11:03 PM

And it looks like there is surf there to!!!

capt. mike - 6-1-2006 at 06:19 AM

Friday Harbor..............ummmmmmmmmm.............grilled oysters in town after walking down from the airport.......the best!!!

gotta go back to the san juans this august!!!!!!!!

comitan - 6-1-2006 at 07:33 AM

Surf and very cold water.

Tomas Tierra - 6-1-2006 at 08:21 AM

and big fishy's

shari - 6-1-2006 at 02:59 PM

I wanted to relate a little story about sirena in grade school....the biggest struggle was that she wanted to dye her hair brown!! Also everyone was always asking her how to say things in English which she absolutely refused to do, which is why she still hesitates to speak English around her mexican friends. Kids just want to fit in and be the same as everyone else and sirena was anything but....they used to call her "cabeza de elote: which means, corn on the cob head! Poor kid.,but it made her strong. But in high school lots of girls dyed their brown hair blonde so it's easier now for her. I'm sorry she was embarrased by me so many times, what I wear, what I say wrong, what I eat(with chopsticks from a carved wooden bowl), and how I dance...oh well...but it's good for her to have a foot in both cultures to take the best from each of them and chuck out the garbage. She has done exceedingly well and not only is the top student in her class but is very popular as well so there is something to be said for dual cultures.

Skipjack Joe - 6-1-2006 at 04:01 PM

There is a saying from the old country that roughly translates into:

"You're worth as many men as the languages that you speak."

I know, it sounds like a Chinese fortune cookie ;D. But it's not.

Bob H - 6-1-2006 at 04:03 PM

Sirenita
The University of California, San Diego (UCSD) offers a world renown Marine Biology graduate program. If you wanted to eventually get involved in serious Marine Biology research after graduating from a four year program, this would be the place.

Lot's of info here...
http://biosciences.sdsc.edu/bioscimarine.html

Set your goals early and I wish you the best of luck in all that you strive for!
Bob H

shari - 6-3-2006 at 02:43 PM

Oye grover...es la mera verdad! My friends say my whole body language changes when I speak spanish and even my voice goes up an octave! they say it's like being around a schizofrenic as my whole being changes depending on which language I am speaking...weird..que barbaro! And sometimes, somethings jsut can't be described properly in English.

SiReNiTa - 6-3-2006 at 07:10 PM

mooooom...did you have to mention the hair??? yeah the UCSD program was researched fully and to almost no luck because it has a PHD program witch i plan to take after going through university, but right now our main campus is the USD, witch has a brand new science building and a great marine sciences department although not very well known because it's not the most wanted...and because the school is out of the window expensive...but we'll see..it also remains to be seen if i can study in USA because i don't know if my mexican high school grades will be accepted there...but i still have 2 years so...

SiReNiTa - 6-3-2006 at 08:12 PM

university of san diego..haha closest to home... and can someone tell my mom to respond to my u2u..it seems she does not miss me even tiny bit..boohoo