BajaNomad

fishing licenses in Loreto

tippytoestrish - 6-8-2006 at 08:28 AM

Where does one obtain a fishing license? Am told that our whole family will need one. How much do they cost? Not much, I'm sure, but just curious! Thanks.

turtleandtoad - 6-8-2006 at 08:44 AM

In Mexico, a fishing license is good for the whole country, not just an individual state. If you are bringing your own boat, no matter what size, you will need a boat license also. Both are good for a full year. See my webpage for more info. Click on "Mexico FAQ".

They are available on-line from various travel clubs (Vagabundos del Mar & Discover Baja, to name a couple), and from many sporting goods stores in the U.S. near the border.

In Loreto, flyfishing pam sells them, and I think the panga office on the malacon also sells them. I'm sure there are more places in Loreto but I always get mine on-line so haven't really looked for them there.

Bruce R Leech - 6-8-2006 at 09:43 AM

here is the link to flyfishingpam website

http://www.bajabigfish.com

vandenberg - 6-8-2006 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tippytoestrish
Where does one obtain a fishing license? Am told that our whole family will need one. How much do they cost? Not much, I'm sure, but just curious! Thanks.

Not much was true a long while ago. The license now is around $ 45.00 for the year, definitely no peanuts if you have to buy them for the whole family. Buying them for a week,if you're going to be here for months, doesn't make sense, since they are around $ 22.00. Ouch !!!

Don Alley - 6-8-2006 at 12:26 PM

There is a small building at the marina. One of the offices there sells licenses, there is a sign on the door saying Licenses Here, or something like that.

Take 20 pesos in change with you (per license), that is the fee you pay for processing the paperwork.

She will then give you some papers to take to an office on Calle Juarez, across the street from the Iguana Inn. OK, a couple of weeks ago they did the rest of the paperwork at that office for my wife's license and we were done. Before, they would take your payment, stamp more papers and send you back to the office at the marina to finish the process. Oh, and one time the first office at the marina took my payment and did everything there.

So, when I have to renew I think I'll go to the office on Juarez first. Who knows, maybe they can do it all there.

I haven't tried getting one from BajaBigFish.

Yes, 44 bucks I think. Not cheap, but about half a California non-resident license. And I was checked on the water for a license just a couple of weeks ago.

Bob and Susan - 6-8-2006 at 02:36 PM

bruce...are you still selling them in Mulege?

Bruce R Leech - 6-8-2006 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
bruce...are you still selling them in Mulege?

yes we do them here and boat permits also

flyfishinPam - 6-10-2006 at 04:37 PM

Just go straight to the state office pay and git it right there. The boat license will need to be obtained at the PESCA office and you'll need the paperwork on your boat to do it. I do sell them but for the work I mark it up, we are a business ya know (but you can put it on your VISA, MC or AMEX!). The state office is right across the street from the Iguana Inn on Calle Benito Juarez. In addition to the fishing license you'll need Marine Park permits at $2/person per day or you can buy a park passport for $23/year.

[Edited on 6-10-2006 by flyfishinPam]

Bruce R Leech - 6-10-2006 at 04:50 PM

just get it form Pam. what is 5 bucks to support a good local business and you will get 100 dollers worth of info and get to meet a good Nomad.

and you can put it on your credit card

bill erhardt - 6-11-2006 at 06:58 AM

My daughter is in town for a month and we got her fishing license last week. It is getting easier all the time in Loreto. The office at the top of the ramp at the marina fills out the form and now also accepts payment (around $40 US for an annual permit). It is no longer necessary to wait in line at the bank to pay, or to go to the state office across the street from the Iguana Inn. It was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Bob and Susan - 6-11-2006 at 07:05 AM

did they supply the form #5?

bill erhardt - 6-11-2006 at 07:16 AM

BS.......I don't know what a form #5 is. We walked in, provided ID information from a US drivers license, walked out with a one year Mexican fishing permit which we had laminated and is now on the boat.

Capt. George - 6-11-2006 at 03:51 PM

Bill

drop me am E

catching largemouth bass, so far, to 6 1/2 lbs...different!

hope to be in Baja end of July..maybe finally get together then, it's been a long, long time mia amigo.

Capt George y Deborah

comitan - 6-11-2006 at 04:03 PM

The form #5 is the form that assures that the government gets the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob and Susan - 6-11-2006 at 04:07 PM

and the stationary store...

flyfishinPam - 6-14-2006 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
BS.......I don't know what a form #5 is. We walked in, provided ID information from a US drivers license, walked out with a one year Mexican fishing permit which we had laminated and is now on the boat.

Sounds like the money probably didn't make it to the state. Up to their old tricks again no doubt. :mad: