BajaNomad

Fire in the National Park

burro bob - 6-12-2006 at 02:02 PM

When I got back to my house in the Ejido around 11 I noticed some clouds forming behind Cero de la Encantada. About an hour later I realized it was smoke and not clouds. It appears to be a little south of cero Botella Azul. Lots of smoke at times as the fire moves into different types of ground cover. The wind is moving the smoke northeasterly so it looks like the fire is moving north towards the observatory.
I would love to think that I am being paranoind and that it is just a front moving in. But I have seen many forest fires and that's what this looks like.
burro bob

bajalou - 6-12-2006 at 02:08 PM

I really hate to agree with you Bob, but that's what it looks like to me also. And the smoke trail looks like it's over Yuma now. Really boinling up from behind the mountain -

bajalou - 6-12-2006 at 05:09 PM

Posted by Wild Bill on Fred's board
"The fire started last Saturday in the area of Potrero which is southeast of Meling Ranch. We first saw mid morning on Sunday and haven't heard how it started"

Frigatebird - 6-12-2006 at 05:34 PM

Seeing it on sat photos.

...And another view from Sharks' link below

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by Frigatebird]

Bruce R Leech - 6-12-2006 at 05:44 PM

wow that is impressive in the photo

bajalou - 6-12-2006 at 06:07 PM

Great shot - where do you get the realtime sat pics?

Frigatebird - 6-12-2006 at 06:16 PM

Try this link:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/sat/satellite.php

Bruce R Leech - 6-12-2006 at 06:19 PM

also the weather satellites show them pretty good

Frigatebird - 6-12-2006 at 06:26 PM

And later in the day...

Frigatebird - 6-13-2006 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Frigatebird
Try this link:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/sat/satellite.php

Rich site, which specific view was that which you posted?

Thanks-- Larry

Sorry for the late response. The view is the visible 1 km Southern California link. You need to scroll down to find this.

Visible Spectrum 1 km So Cal Image

[Edited on 6-13-2006 by Frigatebird]

[Edited on 6-13-2006 by Frigatebird]

Great Link!

Juan del Rio - 6-13-2006 at 04:21 PM

Thanks for posting!!!

bajalou - 6-14-2006 at 04:09 PM

Well, today the 14th there's still smoke coming east - hanging low over the mountains and obscuring the view of the Sierra San Pedro Matir. Kind of light overcast here for a while. Anyone hear anything about size, movement etc?

Graham - 6-16-2006 at 09:35 PM

My wife and I were up in the San Pedro Martir last Monday with our dogs and saw the fire from our campsite at Padre Kino near the Blue Bottle road.

Really enjoyed the posted satellite image because we saw that plume from ground level and it looked ominous. We were glad to hear from one of the park staff that the fire was further away than it looked.

We drove down Tuesday and had a great view of the remains of the fire and the smoldering chaparral covered hillsides above Rancho Potrero.

Long time no see

fdt - 6-19-2006 at 12:21 AM

Way back, when there was a big fire here in Tijuana, we used to say, "Esta tan grande que hasta los bomberos de San Diego van a venir". I saw that with the old race track, Calette, and a downtown fire. Tonight as I crossed back into M?xico @ San Ysidro there were about 15 CDF big rig units, 10 back up trucks, and other fire personel vehicles @ secondary having theire pictures and video taken for the news I'm sure, and as I got a red light, I asked the customs inspector if it was because of the San Pedro Martir fire and he said that they were going to a fire south of Ensenada and that aduana had given the ok to pass. Along with them were fire, state, city and other official vehicles waiting to caravan then.
All I can say is THANK'S, werever you heroes are goimg

Todays view

Sharksbaja - 6-19-2006 at 12:18 PM

Martir fire

Frigatebird - 6-19-2006 at 12:35 PM

Excellent site Sharks!!!

Wow.

bancoduo - 6-19-2006 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Tonight as I crossed back into M?xico @ San Ysidro there were about 15 CDF big rig units, 10 back up trucks, and other fire personel vehicles @ secondary having theire pictures and video taken for the news I'm sure, and as I got a red light, I asked the customs inspector if it was because of the San Pedro Martir fire and he said that they were going to a fire south of Ensenada and that aduana had given the ok to pass. Along with them were fire, state, city and other official vehicles waiting to caravan then.
All I can say is THANK'S, werever you heroes are goimg
We could use them in arizona. Whatever happened to take care of your own Maybe the Loreto Bay clowns and other deep pockets can pitch in and buy some fire fighting aircraft.:no::mad: Hell would freeze over before that happens.

Frigatebird - 6-19-2006 at 05:41 PM

View from 6/12 from Sharks' link:

[Edited on 6-23-2006 by Frigatebird]

David K - 6-19-2006 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
My wife and I were up in the San Pedro Martir last Monday with our dogs and saw the fire from our campsite at Padre Kino near the Blue Bottle road.

Really enjoyed the posted satellite image because we saw that plume from ground level and it looked ominous. We were glad to hear from one of the park staff that the fire was further away than it looked.

We drove down Tuesday and had a great view of the remains of the fire and the smoldering chaparral covered hillsides above Rancho Potrero.

WELCOME TO BAJA NOMAD GRAHAM!

I am glad to see you were successful in posting the photo!

(note to Nomads: Graham reached me Friday evening as I was nearing Calexico on Hwy. 98, heading for San Felipe and beyond, asking how to post a photo. He was ready to become a Nomad so I wouldn't have to take all the 'heat' (lol) for his killing any rattlesnakes, if there is a next time! Yes, this is Graham Mackintosh, the author, adventurer...)

bajalou - 6-19-2006 at 07:09 PM

Remember David, you still owe me a couple fish tacos - come on by or call next time you head down this way

Bruce R Leech - 6-19-2006 at 07:10 PM

welcome Graham Mackintosh to the Baja Nomads It is truly an honer to have you on board.:tumble:

[Edited on 6-20-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

David K - 6-19-2006 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Remember David, you still owe me a couple fish tacos - come on by or call next time you head down this way

Yikes, I do??? Okay, don't want any old debts! We were a mile from your house YESTERDAY!!! Heading back to San Felipe for fuel and dinner at George's after a day driving up Matomi Canyon from Hwy. 5 and returning via Valle Chico... Trip Report coming!

Graham - 6-19-2006 at 10:00 PM

Bruce, thank you for your kind words. And thanks for all your help David.

BajaGeoff - 6-20-2006 at 02:02 PM

Wow. Those satellite photos are amazing. I had no idea that the satellite imaging was available in real (or close to) time. Amazing.

Satellite photo quality

DanO - 6-20-2006 at 02:22 PM

It'll only get better. Someday I'll be able to sit at my computer and watch the dogs sneaking up to pee on my tires. Now if I could just figure out how to control one of those space-based lasers . . . .

Graham-------Great photo!!!! Thanks.

Barry A. - 6-20-2006 at 08:36 PM

surfer jim - 6-21-2006 at 03:30 PM

DanO...that was a good one...I stopped for a cup of coffee at Mama Espinoza's last thursday and a dog marked my new wheel in a matter of minutes:no:....

Back to topic...I passed by the turnoff to the park twice on my recent trip...didn't notice any smoke from the highway at all....but it was blowing to the east so I guess that is to be expected....

wornout - 6-22-2006 at 07:39 AM

California fire crews helping battle blaze in Baja California park

By Sandra Dibble
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 21, 2006

TIJUANA ? Working side-by-side with their Mexican counterparts, more than 50 California firefighters are putting out a blaze in a mountainous area of Baja California.

The goodwill effort came after Mexican firefighters called for help in fighting the fire, which has burned more than 5,000 acres in the Sierra San Pedro M?rtir State Park, about 40 miles west of San Felipe.

?We're very moved,? Jos? Luis Rosas, executive coordinator of civil protection for Baja California, said yesterday. ?They're setting a precedent that there are no borders, only the kinship of firefighters.?

The fire was 85 percent contained yesterday afternoon, Rosas said.

The 180,000-acre park is about 200 miles south of the Tijuana-San Diego border, and has some of the tallest pine trees in Mexico, as well as pumas and bighorn sheep. The fire is in the southern section of the park.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection to help after speaking with Baja California Gov. Eugenio Elorduy Walther, staff members said. The convoy of 10 engines and 53 firefighters crossed the border at San Ysidro Sunday night. They are expected to stay at least through Friday.

While firefighters from California and Baja California have been cooperating along the border for years, ?this is the first time we've gone this far south? with fire equipment, said Chuck Maner, chief of the San Diego unit of the CDF.

Fire engines from other parts of the state have been brought to San Diego to fill in during the Baja California operation.

The CDF firefighters are joining a force of 350 Mexicans that includes soldiers and members of federal, state and municipal firefighting agencies, Rosas said. The firefighters are being flown to the fire because the terrain is so steep and cannot be reached by road.

Alejandro Caso, a spokesman for Elorduy, said the cooperative effort comes as the relationship between the two governors has grown closer in recent months. ?We activated the links, and they have worked wonderfully.?

H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the state Department of Finance, said the governor will not ask for reimbursement.

California and Mexico have a mutual-aid pact, but it extends just 10 miles on either side of the border. The state does not have a cost estimate.

?This is a goodwill gesture on behalf of the governor,? Palmer said.

?It's what good neighbors do.?

Bruce R Leech - 6-22-2006 at 07:52 AM

I wonder if they will let them send in the slurry bombers.

Sharksbaja - 6-23-2006 at 09:48 AM

"The firefighters are being flown to the fire because the terrain is so steep and cannot be reached by road."

Man, they must be using those heavy-lift helios to transport the engines!;D;D;)