BajaNomad

Dave Deal in Dirt Sports Magazine/ Update: Dave is gone/ New photos 2011

David K - 6-30-2006 at 11:21 AM

The July 2006 issue of Dirt Sports recently arrived and on page 42, with a full page photo, a wonderful story about Dave Deal begins!

Dave 'Big Deal' is best known for his years of cartoon creations featuring Baja and off road racing... The Dick Cepek catalog covers of the early 70's (big orange blazer), CarToon magazine, Downey Toyota, KC HiLites, The Baja Bush Pilots logo... and more recently, Jimmy Smith's book illustrations... the list is endless. Dave continues to work on new illustrations, his historic research on Noah's arc and man's early migration to America are more samples of the incredible mind he has. The new smash movie CARS was partly a Dave Deal inspiration.

Dave raced the Baja 500 annd 1000, holds records and also flew Baja by private plane years ago and continues to closely follow off road racing... Arnold Senterfitt had Dave illustrate his book Airports of Baja about 30 years ago.

Constantly busy on various projects, yet he is always polite and a pleasure to visit with... I admired his art work way back when I was in high school (mid 70's) and modeled my little comic strip (Se?or Baja and the Tijuana Kid) after his characters.

I got to meet Dave when Jimmy Smith invited me over to Dave's home while Jimmy was up north visiting. Now, Dave and I touch base every so often... sometimes having lunch at my favorite north county restaurant.

I asked Dave if I could do a story on him about his Baja cartoons (about a year or more ago), then we got busy... you know how things go! Well, I called Dave yesterday to tell him how nice the story in Dirt Sports was and how much Elizabeth and I enjoyed the movie CARS (twice now)! I asked again about showing his art here on Baja Nomad and he said he actually made a CD of his collection for me... So, next time I am in his neighborhood I will pick it up and share his stuff with all of you! If you do a Nomad search, I think I put links to a couple of Dave's web sites a couple years ago.

In the meantime, pick up a copy of Dirt Sports magazine and read 'Big Deal is the Real Deal'...

(illustration from the Off Road Coloring Book which featured Dave's work)

[Edited on 7-14-2011 by David K]

books 016.jpg - 48kB

Desertbull - 7-15-2006 at 05:41 PM

Great story and only a slight mere recognition of Dave for his inspiration to the off-road world in Baja!

In my books, Dave is over the top!

thebajarunner - 7-15-2006 at 09:14 PM

DK shared that story with Baja Vida and me over coffee a couple weeks back.
I pointed at the pic of the awesome poster for the 1971 Mexican 1000.
"I had that poster" sez me.
" A collectors item" sez DK
" and my wife tossed it when we moved a couple years ago," I sighed.
que lastima...

(but, a great story, and a great poster, nonetheless)

Dave 'Big' Deal is gone... 1938-2008

David K - 1-29-2009 at 12:46 PM

I just read the sad news in the January/ February issue of Dirt Sports Magazine... I hadn't heard that Dave left us last October after a battle with cancer.

I was introduced to Dave about 8 years ago by Jimmy Smith... I had been a fan of Dave's off road cartoon work since the 1970's when he did the cover of Dick Cepek's catalog... and ads for Jackson Wheels, Downey Toyota, as well as illustrated the cover and some stories for CarTOON Magazine. Photo of the Dave Deal illustrated book by Jimmy Smith, below...

Dave lived near me and frequented my favorite diner, Sunrise Cafe, in Vista, CA.

Besides a love of art... and creator of many of the living car charaters in the Pixar movie 'CARS'... Dave had a love of history and the mysteries of the past, including the true location of Noah's Ark. Deal traveled to Turkey and wrote books and web pages identifying the ark's resting site.

In doing some web searches, I found some nice posts on Dave and the sad news...

See this link: http://www.cruisenight.com/weblog/2008/10/dave-big-deal-my-h... ... text copied below...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 20, 2008
Dave "Big" Deal: My Hero (1938-2008)

by Tim Gavern
I am deeply saddened by the passing of my friend, Dave "Big" Deal.

I really enjoyed being around Dave and relished the occasional drive down the coast to his home in Vista to hang out and have lunch with him. Our conversations were always wonderful as he was knowledgeable about so many subjects. Dave will always be my hero and I will miss him terribly.

My pal, Rob Kinnan, editor of Hot Rod Magazine, allowed me to write Dave's obituary for HRM (look for it in the February 2009 issue). Dave had written an autobiographical article for a blog I used to publish and I am happy to have used it for reference. Here's what I turned in:

Dave “Big” Deal, 1938-2008

Automotive cartoonist, car enthusiast and race driver, David Allan Deal, passed away in his Vista, California, home on October 14, 2008.

For over 40-years, “Big” Deal, a moniker given to him in the Marines, injected his own brand of cartoon humor upon the automotive world.

Beginning in the ’60s, “Big” Deal illustrated magazine ads and designed logos, including Armor All’s original little viking. He also illustrated articles for many magazines including Hot Rod and covers for the long gone CARtoons Magazine.

In the ’70s, “Big” Deal’s unusual cartoon style led to a successful relationship with Revell. Together, they produced a unique series of twenty plastic model kits called "Deal's Wheels". Today, they are highly prized by collectors.

“Big” Deal was a true car enthusiast. He owned many fascinating cars that ranged from chopped ’34 Ford 5-window coupes to Porsche Speedsters and Spyders to rare Ferraris. His well-known green ’41 Hupmobile resto-rod, with its Pontiac 6-cylinder overhead-cam engine, a Porsche RSK replica, a V-12 Jaguar and a Meyers Manxster were among his last cars.

Dave was also a serious racer. In 1973, he and co-driver, Don Ernst, set a trans-peninsular Baja speed record racing from Tijuana to La Paz in 19 hours and 58 minutes. Dave and Don raced together for several years in many of the Baja races and Dave and Jim Smith raced in the Mexican 1000 race in 1968.

More recently, Academy-Award®-winning director John Lasseter called upon “Big” Deal to design the majority of the primary characters for the Pixar feature film Cars. The cars look the way they do because of “Big” Deal’s design influence. John Lasseter, the late, great Joe Ranft, and Bob Pauley, had all tried to draw like “Big” Deal back in their high school days.

Only days before he died, “Big” Deal delivered a few new car characters to Pixar for the upcoming Cars sequel, “Cars 2”. Dave was very proud of his work for Pixar and once told me “It was a gas.” He even held a drawing class at Pixar. At that class, after “Big” Deal drew a pomegranate and quickly transformed it into a Porsche 911, he got a standing ovation from the overfilled room of Pixar animators.

As the oversized slicks on his Camaro rocket him away, we bid our friend and inspiration, “Good Bye”.

Copy of Jimmy-r.JPG - 40kB

BajaGringo - 1-29-2009 at 12:56 PM

Great story David, thanks for sharing it...

Nov. 30, 2007

David K - 1-29-2009 at 01:01 PM

At Sunrise Cafe, I introduced Dave Deal (center) to 'steekers' who is writing a book about the history of Rancho Santa Ynez and the off road racing years... Dave Deal was a big part of the old days of Baja racing.

David K - 1-29-2009 at 01:10 PM

Dave Deal's art samples web site: http://bigdealart.com/

2019 edit: The website is no longer online... A Google Search does provide several examples of Dave's work:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS606US606&q...

[Edited on 4-27-2019 by David K]

David K - 1-29-2009 at 01:22 PM

Great stuff... Thanks Dave Deal for all you have done! Have fun up there with Jimmy and you other amigos in heaven!

and the NOMAD Camero...

capt. mike - 1-29-2009 at 03:30 PM

sorry to hear this. i met Dave when Jimmy was in the vet hospital in La Jolla. he was a cool guy for sure. i will let the BBP contingent know since he did their logo for Arnold and Jack sells Jimmy's book on line.

i mispelled la jolla.

[Edited on 1-29-2009 by capt. mike]

David K - 1-29-2009 at 05:43 PM

I am surprised that nothing was mentioned here on Nomad with the viewership we have? Dave passed away on Oct. 14, over 3 months ago.

It sure explains why I didn't get a reply to the email I last sent him!

If you do a Google Search, there is a lot posted about it on various art and hot rod message boards.

Dave Deal Books

David K - 1-29-2009 at 05:51 PM

Dave was a history/ Biblical researcher and gave me two of his books regarding the mysteries of the past...

Dave's detailed examination of continental drift and other early earth mysteries... explained! 1999 edition pictured

Dave's proof that Hebrew speaking explorers were in North America 600 years before Columbus, detailed from Los Lunas, New Mexico petroglyphs is detailed in this book(c1984/ 1999 edition).

[Edited on 1-30-2009 by David K]

Noah's Ark Discovery

David K - 1-29-2009 at 06:07 PM

Dave's greatest passion seemed to me his quest for the truth about Noah's Ark. In his studio at home, he had a large satellite image of the ark remains with diagrams explaining every detail.

Dave's ark web page is very detailed and worth a look!
>>> http://www.noahsark-naxuan.com/

Here'a photo of Dave in Turkey, at one of the ark's anchor stones... (where it waited, overhead, for the water level to drop)

In the large photo: David Deal and Professor M. Salih Baraktutan stand, with a small local friend, next to the most prominent of the anchors.

This slide show is very informative showing Dave's thoughts and proof: http://www.noahsark-naxuan.com/Slide1.htm

David K - 1-30-2009 at 10:05 AM

Deal's map for Jimmy's book...

The Baja Map-r.JPG - 23kB

Eli - 1-30-2009 at 02:13 PM

I was saddened by the news and shocked to find out how out of touch I have become, honestly, I did not know about Dave's passing until I read your note David K.

It appears I sorta lost track of time, I hadn't been in contact with Dave since Dad passed on. He really was "The Big Deal" to me, the memories of hangin out with Him and the Ol Man when I was a kid are all I now have left of them, I guess I best cherish them.

David K - 1-30-2009 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I was saddened by the news and shocked to find out how out of touch I have become, honestly, I did not know about Dave's passing until I read your note David K.

It appears I sorta lost track of time, I hadn't been in contact with Dave since Dad passed on. He really was "The Big Deal" to me, the memories of hangin out with Him and the Ol Man when I was a kid are all I now have left of them, I guess I best cherish them.

I was shocked as well... that the word hadn't spread to the Baja Nomad forums! The hot rod and artist forums were aware right away in October.

Sara, if you ever feel like it, I would sure like to hear of those stories from years ago when you were hanging around your dad, Dave and other amigos!!!:light:

ckiefer - 1-30-2009 at 11:09 PM

So sorry to hear this. My sincere condolences. The mention of Turkey caught my eye as I spent a few years there in the 80's.
Here's another link about your friend.
http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/heroes/08davedeal/

David K - 1-31-2009 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ckiefer
So sorry to hear this. My sincere condolences. The mention of Turkey caught my eye as I spent a few years there in the 80's.
Here's another link about your friend.
http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/heroes/08davedeal/

That is a GREAT obituary... much detail and accurate! Although Dave told me he didn't create Lightning McQueen, just the others... and there were a LOT of 'others'!

Dave Deal was just as easy to talk with as the article says and when I told him about a new Nomad writing a book that would like to meet him, he dropped what he was doing and came down to Sunrise Cafe and spent all the time in the world with 'steekers' and I.

Thank you for the link ckiefer... a lot of Baja history in there, too!

David K - 2-2-2009 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
sorry to hear this. i met Dave when Jimmy was in the vet hospital in La Jolla. he was a cool guy for sure. i will let the BBP contingent know since he did their logo for Arnold and Jack sells Jimmy's book on line.

I was going through my files of old Baja stuff, and I found the membership application for Baja Bush Pilots (from 1972) $15.... included the $5 initiation fee.

Anyway, on the back side is the logo drawn by Dave Deal...

BajaGringo - 2-2-2009 at 10:29 AM

His drawings are images I grew up with and will always remember.

RIP friend...

So much great stuff! Here's a few more from Dave:

David K - 2-2-2009 at 10:57 AM

Anyone use ArmorAll???

Dave Deal's Studio

David K - 7-14-2011 at 01:34 PM

Last week, I repaied a broken sprinkler valve at 'Rancho No Tengo' and visited with Vicki Deal. She permitted me to take photos inside Dave's studio to share with you... It has been left as it was when Dave Deal last drew in it, before he passed away nearly 3 years ago...

The guys at Pixar made him this get well poster, when Dave was sick...

Vicki told me that he often would pick up a rock, and turn it into a car...

bufeo - 7-14-2011 at 01:41 PM

Neat, DavidK. Thanks so much.

Allen R

Ken Cooke - 7-14-2011 at 01:44 PM

This artwork is incredible! Thanks for sharing.:yes:

Eli - 7-14-2011 at 01:54 PM

Thanks for the visit to Dave's studio, it was good to return even if it was just via Cyber space, the place holds some special memories for me.

David K - 7-14-2011 at 02:03 PM

De nada amigos! Now that Cars II is in theatres, it seems sad that Dave had only just learned (before passing) of the sequal to the first hit that was totally inspired by his imagination... that Cars Are People Too!!!

BajaBlanca - 7-14-2011 at 02:13 PM

what talent !!! amazing artwork ...

AmoPescar - 7-15-2011 at 01:23 AM

HE WAS SUCH A TALENT!! Sad that such a talent has passed!

BUT....IT'S GREAT THAT HE HAS A LEGACY IN PRINT...WHICH CAN BE SHARED WITH ALL FOREVER!!!

MIGUELAMO :yes: :D :yes:

dizzyspots - 7-15-2011 at 06:25 AM

thanks Dave...i fondly recall the art and the plastic Revell models
Thanks for the update and sharing

Mike

[Edited on 7-15-2011 by dizzyspots]

David K - 7-15-2011 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
HE WAS SUCH A TALENT!! Sad that such a talent has passed!

BUT....IT'S GREAT THAT HE HAS A LEGACY IN PRINT...WHICH CAN BE SHARED WITH ALL FOREVER!!!

MIGUELAMO :yes: :D :yes:

Right you are... and didn't you and I go to his home to discuss a logo for Viva Baja Tours?

David K - 7-15-2011 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots
thanks Dave...i fondly recall the art and the plastic Revell models
Thanks for the update and sharing

Mike

[Edited on 7-15-2011 by dizzyspots]

Vicki mentioned something about Revell re-introducing Dave's creations...? I remember Dave showing me the Red Barron model, and telling me he used Jimmy Smith's face for the Barron.

capt. mike - 7-15-2011 at 10:08 AM

does anyone know what happened to Ed "Big Daddy" Roth?
i used to build those rat fink models in the 60s.

bufeo - 7-15-2011 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
does anyone know what happened to Ed "Big Daddy" Roth?...

He died. 2000 or 2001, I think.

Allen R

capt. mike - 7-15-2011 at 10:52 AM

thx Allen.

bet you're keeping cool up NW way?

bufeo - 7-15-2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
thx Allen.

bet you're keeping cool up NW way?

True enough, Mike. Our house AC has come on (set to 79ºF) only twice this summer. Plus, wading in the Big Wood and Silver Ck keep me cool too.

Did you know Roth or Deal?

Allen R.

[Edited on 7-15-2011 by bufeo]

capt. mike - 7-16-2011 at 07:48 AM

i met Dave once. When Jimmy was in La Jolla. I think... i met so many people visiting him when he was in the hospital. can't recall all who.

Ed Roth?? no - i was just a wacky 10-12 year old kid building rat fink models then and driving my mother nutz.:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 4-27-2019 at 10:14 AM

Remembering Dave Deal: illustrator, off-road theme cartoons, Dick Cepek catalog cover, Jackman Wheels adds, CAT-toon magazine, The Armor all Viking, The cars in the movie Cars...