BajaNomad

Chivato area fishing/sea life report

BajaHawk - 7-3-2006 at 05:27 PM

Just got back from Punta Chivato.

Tons of fish 8-10 miles of the beach. They bit noonish - leaving no need to get up at the crack of dawn.

Our group landed a marlin - found lots the next day in groups of two, three and even four- but they didn't go for the feathers.

Got into all the Dorado anyone could possibly want. We got so tired of catching them on irons that we slipped in the water, close to the boat, and watched them feed on the small fish hiding under the kelp paddy we were on. AMAZING!

We we even got into smaller yellowfin on Friday - again about 8-10 miles out from Chivato beach.

Loads of Turtles and other sealife.

This was my first time taking my son - 6 years old - he had a BLAST! GREAT STUFF!!

Doug/Vamonos - 7-5-2006 at 01:42 PM

Hi. Did you camp at the beach? If so, what condition is it in? I'm heading there on 8/15. Was the water on? Outhouses still there? Has the sand layed down enough to drive on? Thanks. I'm towing my 22' trailer there and have some concerns about the soft sand.

BajaHawk - 7-5-2006 at 08:54 PM

Doug-

Water is on but there is something going on with the "water war". The resteraunt that poped up by the mechanic is now closed, as is the small tienda by the hotel. A result of water rights disoute I am told. Very sad!

Toliets are as they always are - smelly yet available. New structures in fact. They forgot toliet seats however so be prepared to sit on plywood.

The sand has compacted a little but is still too soft to drive your trailer on south of the beach access. I got my trailer in and out of our camp area very easily with 2WD. We chose to camp near the area that has the inner reef protection; the sand is good there.

The hotel is closed for more renevations. More money being spent on it. I guess the millions of guests that they get has caused premature wear and tear.

You should find things in good order - good luck have a GREAT time!

capt. mike - 7-6-2006 at 07:06 AM

hey Hawk - sorry we missed each other. next time.

Doug/Vamonos - 7-6-2006 at 09:08 AM

Thanks for the report. Forgot to ask about the status of the showers? And I'll bring some toilet seats to donate to the cause. Were there many campers this year? And I'm assuming the launch ramp is still available? I never understood why Guerro and his wife kept the little tienda going. He made so much money leasing property to the gringos. I think it just gave them something to do with their time.

Doug/Vamonos - 7-6-2006 at 09:12 AM

Made a typo above. I'm actually heading down next week for three weeks (7/15). Sounds like the bite should be good.

BajaHawk - 7-6-2006 at 08:43 PM

Doug-
The showers are in fine working order. Look for Ed on the north end of the beach (he is with his dog and travels in an older Ford truck - fishing from a Gregor) and say hi from Charles, Sean and the Gang from San Diego.

If you bring toliet seats you will be a hero to all. Actually, teh wood seats aren't THAT bad.

Say hello the camp dog/puppy (Negrita/Taco) for me and my son!

Mike - Maybe next time.

Doug/Vamonos - 7-7-2006 at 11:28 AM

I think I remember Ed. Big black lab? He digs a hole under the truck for the dog to sit in the shade? Has a neat rig to stow his boat on top of the truck? I'll look for him. Can't wait to get there. We have 2 1/2 weeks to soak up the sun. Thanks for all the info.