BajaNomad

fishing tackle

jimgrms - 7-23-2006 at 06:45 AM

While getting every thing ready for my sept trip to baja,, I started in on my fishing tackle ,greasing reels ect, ,and started wondering does a person really need 10 rods and reels plus 50 lbs of tackle, it is getting to where i don,t have room to haul it all ,now i realize fishing is very important , i am sure i won't use 1/3 of what i take , is every one the same do you take enough to have spares for your spares plus enough extra to open a shop ?? plus they have opened a bass pro shop in denver i am doomed

[Edited on 7-23-2006 by jimgrms]

Bob and Susan - 7-23-2006 at 06:49 AM

"boys and their toys"....

Don Alley - 7-23-2006 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
While getting every thing ready for my sept trip to baja,, I started in on my fishing tackle ,greasing reels ect, ,and started wondering does a person really need 10 rods and reels plus 50 lbs of tackle, it is getting to where i don,t have room to haul it all ,now i realize fishing is very important , i am sure i won't use 1/3 of what i take , is every one the same do you take enough to have spares for your spares plus enough extra to open a shop ?? plus they have opened a bass pro shop in denver i am doomed

[Edited on 7-23-2006 by jimgrms]

You only NEED a couple of rods.

But you might want more. How many rods and reels do I have? I don't know. But I build them as a hobby so they sort of pile up.

Ideally you could have different setup for different species...you wouldn't use the same outfit for yellowtail and dorado, or ladyfish or pargo...and differnet rigs for trolling, live bait or tossing iron. And backups and loaners for friends and pangeros.

It's more fun to have the right combination.

Still, sure, on any given trip if you have a lot of stuff some won't get used. But leave something behind, and it seems so very often-surprise!-that's what you should have brought. So bring as much as you can, lol.

As far as having enough to open a shop, haha, I've been there, done that. I'm over that now. I don't have a store. Just a small shop building on my lot.:biggrin:

Have you tried the Avet 2-speed reels?:lol:

Frank - 7-23-2006 at 09:05 AM

Dont forget the flourocarbon leader. :lol: I usually just empty the garage...into the truck. You know the one thing you leave behind at home is the exact thing you will need.

turtleandtoad - 7-23-2006 at 09:26 AM

No problem here, my home IS my RV. So I bring everything I own, including the kitchen sink! :lol::lol::lol:

Skipjack Joe - 7-23-2006 at 09:34 AM

I don't bring backup rods. If something were to happen I would substitute one type of rod for another. I can't remember the last time a non-flyrod broke. I bring 3 rods: (1) for deep yellowtail, (2) for surface dorado, (3) light inshore and beach fishing. Three for me and three for my son. I use the light rod the most.

The rods never break but the top guide sometimes comes undone. I always bring ferrule cement to fix that problem as there is none in parts of baja that I travel.

Lures are the biggest problem for me. Every trip is different. One year we had great sierra fishing and we soon ran out of blue/silver rebels. Another year we got into the dorado in a big way and ran out of the green/yellow zuckers. Then we discovered Asuncion and used up all of the best plastics. One type of fish will dominate a trip and exhaust a lure, leaving a full tackle box with lures that aren't useful for that trip. So, having a box with lots of lures of the kind that work is usually what I fret about before leaving.

jimgrms - 7-23-2006 at 01:47 PM

I use a lot of castmasters si i started making my own out of tea and table spoons just use the handle part drill 2 oles i in each end and a ring and hook in one end and a swivel in the other .haven,t tried it in baja but works on colorado trout i

Skeet/Loreto - 7-23-2006 at 04:53 PM

Any of you Fisherman interested in some very old Lures used back in the 60's?
i have some Straggler Jigs{For Rooster fish} some Bone Lures{Plastic/Bone with a Double Hook for Trolling} and a few of the Salas Jigs.
They were sucessful in the late 60's and 70's. If you are interested u2u me .
Skeet/Loreto

Santiago - 7-23-2006 at 04:55 PM

This is one of life's constant struggles. Every trip I start by culling but give in to fear and just bring it all. I do agree with Skipjack and have settled on the same three rods as he, although I bring backup reels as they take little space.

wakemall - 7-24-2006 at 08:38 PM

Hey,

You need a rod with a strong backbone for getting YT off the rocks and catching grouper and Pargo. I like my 50# glass Feinwich. Spend what you want on the reel. I use a Penn Senator 6/0 with 80#. Hammer the drag. In ten years I have only had one YT break me off in the rocks. That was fisherman's error in not getting him off the bottom quick enough. Or it was stupid on my part for not using heavier tackle. It might have been a 70 or 80 pound fish I messed up on?

I use a 20 to 30 pound rod for Dorado. Depending upon the size of the fish, I switch between a TLD 15 with 30# and a Calcutta with 25#. I prefer the Calstar or Lamiglass rod with the Calcutta with 25#. Super fun with 25# test line and the sails are no big deal. Although a 40# plus Bull Dorado is going to give you a serious challenge. Actually you will be hard to stop or slow a 40# plus Dorado on 25 pound test. Been there. They will usually run non stop to the next patty or open ocean. Get ready for a chase. The Calcutta only holds 270 yards of 25# test and can be a handfull. FUN FUN FUN.

Hey a Trinadad with 40# or a TLD- 20 or 25 with 40 will make a difference.

The light rod with the Calcutta will work great for Sierra's. You can cast a mile.

Hope that helps?

Bret

Generally only need four rods.

Hook - 7-25-2006 at 10:31 AM

A 20-50, a 15-40, a 12-30 and a whippy 8-15 graphite for shorecasting or inshore small stuff off the boat. I dont really fish billfish or grouper deep much, so a stiff 5.5 foot rod is not that necessary.

But I do bring more reels than poles. It's for quick changes in case a specific line weight is not working.

Cypress - 7-25-2006 at 11:01 AM

Tackle, Listen to wakemall.

Don Alley - 7-25-2006 at 03:02 PM

Wakemail is right on with the yellowtail. 4/0 size star drags will sometimes result in fish taking you to the rocks; the 6/0 size drags or a good lever drag are the ticket.

I also like his selection on dorado/sailfish rigs. If capacity is an issue, try spectra backing.

Spares: not so much for when a rod breaks (rare) but for situations like broken or tangled lines in a hot bite. Grab a fresh rod now, or re-rig while the fish swim off.

I never find it fun to use mismatched tackle if the tackle is way too heavy. Catching a good fish on too heavy tackle is a missed opportunity to me. But I often will fish with undermatched tackle, especially inshore, when the worse that can happen is the fish breaks you off. Barred pargo are fun on a 15# Seeker 706.:biggrin:

I would suggest, however, to use care and discretion when fishing offshore with very light tackle for billfish, or dorado you wish to release...to much finesse can wear such fish to exhaustion and death. jmo

tuna on a fly

Skipjack Joe - 7-25-2006 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

I would suggest, however, to use care and discretion when fishing offshore with very light tackle ...to much finesse can wear such fish to exhaustion and death. jmo

Amen to that.

After catching a number of tuna with flyrods I am no longer sure I consider that to be much of a sport, at least not for catch and release. There's just no flyrod that can bring these fish in without totally exhausting them. I notice a thread promoting that sort of thing on the board. Too bad.

Bruce R Leech - 7-26-2006 at 08:04 AM

you can never have too much fishing tackle and what you leave at home is what you will need. it is Murphy's fishing law.

Whistler

Skipjack Joe - 7-26-2006 at 09:56 AM

Yes, that was unfortunate. I got the news about the break- in on my last stop, Santa Rosalia. I stopped to get enough cash for the stay at Abreojos.

The greatest loss, I've discovered, are the flies. The best flies, in my opinion, are the ones you buy from the flyshops on the river or lake you're fishing. I had flies from all over the states. I had the best caddis imitation for those rainbows on the Missouri below Holter dam. I had some trico patterns that were killers on the Bighorn river. I had some no-hackle PMD patterns that I bought on the Henry's Fork that worked when everything else failed. I had some CDC blue winged olive emergers that caught fish on Silver Creek when nobody was getting anything. It's gonna take a while to resupply my new box. But, at least now I know a good pattern from a bad one.

The fishing in the La Paz wasn't very good a month ago. But wouldn't you know it, the dorado fishing is on fire right now. Timing is everything. It was great in early June. Then it was off for a month. Now they're back in record numbers. I don't know if I could have handled the heat they're having right now, though.

4baja - 8-2-2006 at 06:26 PM

i bring it all because i hate changing lures and live bait rigs all the time. i like to grab a rod for the conditions.

wilderone - 8-4-2006 at 08:43 AM

Skipjack Joe: there are many, many flies on sale now at sierratradingpost.com. I've bought a lot of things from that site. Anyway, you might find something you like at a good price.