BajaNomad

Back roads

jimgrms - 8-2-2006 at 09:03 AM

On hwy 3 out of ensanada just past ej san maties thier is a road on the right that goes to sta clara also passes laguna drabo i was down there a few years ago but i lost 2nd gear in my truck so turned back has any one taken that road all the way in to san felipe ?

bajalou - 8-2-2006 at 09:26 AM

Does indeed go to San Felipe - some sandy spots but it does go thru

Corky1 - 8-2-2006 at 10:19 AM

Doug,

That's the race course road across Diablo he is talking about???? Isn't it?????

Corky :?: :?:

bajalou - 8-2-2006 at 11:46 AM

It has been raced but I think the last couple years the race was on a road more to the east at lease acorss the dry lake area.

David K - 8-2-2006 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
On hwy 3 out of ensanada just past ej san maties thier is a road on the right that goes to sta clara also passes laguna drabo i was down there a few years ago but i lost 2nd gear in my truck so turned back has any one taken that road all the way in to san felipe ?

Oh yes, many time over many years... Before the grading and then paving of the San Matias to Hwy. 5 route, the main road from Ensenada to San Felipe went right down the drylake bed then headed right into San Felipe at the big curve in Hwy. 5 entering town.

The off road races are no longer permitted to run the dry lake so they use a parallel road on the east shore... In the old days Walker Evans in his Class 8 pickup on the dry lake would outrun the helicopter filming him!

Here's the road to the dry lake from Hwy. 1...

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by David K]