BajaNomad

Satellite radio

zippo - 8-28-2006 at 06:24 PM

My wife and I are about to embark on a 6 month adventure in Mexico, Does anybody know if there is satellite radio reception there?

comitan - 8-28-2006 at 06:26 PM

Mostly all over.

bajabound2005 - 8-28-2006 at 07:07 PM

And the best is XM!

comitan - 8-28-2006 at 07:10 PM

:no::no::no::no:

If you like Baseball---XM

If You like football---Sirius

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by comitan]

Cardon - 8-28-2006 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
And the best is XM!

I have both XM and Sirius and I too think XM is better. They both work fine down in Baja.

Bajaboy - 8-28-2006 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
And the best is XM!

I suppose what ever you're happy with is the best! I have had no problems with Sirius throughout Baja. I have also heard nothing but positive things about XM.

Having sat radio is the best!

Zac

All satellite radio

Hook - 8-29-2006 at 10:48 AM

changes. They add this channel, they dump that format.

I am actually not too pleased with some of the changes at XM in the last year or so. I miss the World Zone channel; the "Frog" channel they replaced it with is mostly French hip-hop and French crooner music.

I call it Frog Hop. :lol:

JZ - 8-29-2006 at 11:33 AM

XM is the best (except it is missing the NFL!). Sirrus, at least on some units, cuts off under nearly every underpass driving down the freeway.

DanO - 8-29-2006 at 11:41 AM

Sirius works great and the NFL games are a must. I don't spend a lot of time under freeway overpasses, so that's not really an issue.

toneart - 8-29-2006 at 01:53 PM

Yes!

My Serius Satellite Radio works all the way to Cabo. When home in Mulege, I have a Serius boom box inside and run the antenna out the window. On the road, in Baja I have never hit a dead spot. Up in the No. California mountains and foothills it cuts out often because of the heavy tree forestation.

The choice between XM and Serius really depends on the programming you prefer. They are both similar in catagories, i.e. classical, jazz, hip hop, latino from Cumbia to Salsa,and on and on... There is also a wide variety of talk radio: political right and left, audio of CNN, FOX, NPR, ABC, C-SPAN, sports, and Sirius has Howard Stern.

XM has NASCAR!

thebajarunner - 8-29-2006 at 04:12 PM

And remember what Hemingway said, "There are only three sports....bullfighting, mountain climbing and motor racing" All others are just games!

Oh yeah, and XM has border crossing wait times (which we found accurate but others have questioned... oh well, it still has NASCAR)

DanO - 8-29-2006 at 04:24 PM

NASCAR on the radio? I know it can be fun to watch, but how do you listen to a bunch of guys turning left for a couple of hours?

Hook - 8-29-2006 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
NASCAR on the radio? I know it can be fun to watch, but how do you listen to a bunch of guys turning left for a couple of hours?

Yeah, and ya cant see the pit babes........:coolup:

About the same way you "listen" to NFL/MLB

thebajarunner - 8-29-2006 at 05:56 PM

Quote:

Why is there something tangible about foosball or besbol on the radio, but not NASCAR?
The distinction escapes me, sorry.
Frankly, a stock car race is a lot more fun to watch in person, or on my 12 foot HiDef theatre screen.
But, then so is a 49er game or a Giants game.
I don't get the difference1?

And yes, I will be sitting way up in Turn 4 on Saturday night and Sunday night at the California Speedway.
Sec. 70, Row 40, come on up and say hello, we own most of the row...

Al G - 8-29-2006 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:

Why is there something tangible about foosball or besbol on the radio, but not NASCAR?
The distinction escapes me, sorry.
Frankly, a stock car race is a lot more fun to watch in person, or on my .
But, then so is a 49er game or a Giants game.
I don't get the difference1?

And yes, I will be sitting way up in Turn 4 on Saturday night and Sunday night at the California Speedway.
Sec. 70, Row 40, come on up and say hello, we own most of the row...

Yikes!! NASCAR,12 foot HiDef theatre screen!
Runner, can I visit you for the next 13 weeks???.

thebajarunner - 8-29-2006 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:

Yikes!! NASCAR,12 foot HiDef theatre screen!
Runner, can I visit you for the next 13 weeks???.

Come on over.... you are only an hour away,
and we TiVo it, so all the good little boys and girls can go to church, and then we skip the ads.
Plus, the little Mrs. (born and raised in Jalisco) makes a killer brunch for all the attendees.
Usually 3 or 4 or 5 attending,
just don't come this week, cause I will be at the race.
Come on over the following Sat. for Richmond (sorting out the Chase)
U2U for reservations...:D:D:D
and no rooting for Jr.!!!
(we even supply the Pacificos and the Negras)

vandy - 8-30-2006 at 10:57 AM

I like Sirius better (Yes, it works all the way down to Cabo; I`m not sure about the mainland) just because NPR has "Car Talk" and I like my weekly news from the weekly news quiz "Wait, Wait, Don`t Tell Me".
It`s nice listening to music all week on the radio without hearing the words "Iraq" (unless also included is "& roll) or "Bush" (unless referring to wilderness).
BTW, where are you going for six months?

Hook - 8-30-2006 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandy
I like Sirius better (Yes, it works all the way down to Cabo; I`m not sure about the mainland) just because NPR has "Car Talk" and I like my weekly news from the weekly news quiz "Wait, Wait, Don`t Tell Me".
It`s nice listening to music all week on the radio without hearing the words "Iraq" (unless also included is "& roll) or "Bush" (unless referring to wilderness).
BTW, where are you going for six months?

I had asked the same question in a U2U to him. Hopefully, he will reply.

Hey Zippo, can you share some info about your trip, especially the itinerary?

Cincodemayo - 8-30-2006 at 04:27 PM

All I know is I have sirius stock and it sucks....down close to 4 bucks..was suppose to go up to 9 bucks a share but with Howie getting $$$$$$ I SERIUSLY:spingrin: doubt it!!

Hook - 8-30-2006 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
All I know is I have sirius stock and it sucks....down close to 4 bucks..was suppose to go up to 9 bucks a share but with Howie getting $$$$$$ I SERIUSLY:spingrin: doubt it!!

Better to hold it, rather than sell it at these prices.

Mucho speculation that XM and Sirius will merge. That could give it a bump.

Stickers - 8-30-2006 at 08:36 PM

Quote:

That might also cause a 'bump' in monthly fees due to no competition. Sirius gets my vote although Howie is too obnoxious to listen to on satellite.

Hook - 8-31-2006 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers

That might also cause a 'bump' in monthly fees due to no competition. Sirius gets my vote although Howie is too obnoxious to listen to on satellite.

Possible, but I doubt it. If the two arent attracting enough customers to remain solvent, raising rates wont help.

They've probably got me for life. I could give up premium cable/STV but I could never go back to terrestrial radio.

Cincodemayo - 8-31-2006 at 11:09 AM

Hook....after getting a new Silverado truck for Xmas I had 3 free months of XM radio. We went skiing in January to Whistler and half the time you'd just hear a hissing as you'd lose the signal. In town it would just fade out in wide open spaces. I wasn't impresed in the least. just pulling next to a building it would fade out also.

comitan - 8-31-2006 at 12:03 PM

Cinco

They probably didn't install the antenna in a good location. Or maybe it was never installed the auto workers don't get paid enough to do a good job, but I guess their benifits are not tooooo bad.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 8-31-2006 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Cinco

They probably didn't install the antenna in a good location. Or maybe it was never installed the auto workers don't get paid enough to do a good job, but I guess their benifits are not tooooo bad.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hafta agree. Sounds llike an install problem. Although, there's no doubt that if the antennae has poor southern exposure (obstacles, etc.) you can have problems. But I have never had problems in wide open spaces.

I am using one of the small magnet mount antennae that comes with the portable units. I have mine on the hood of my p/u just under the wind deflector above the grill. The best location is on the cab but I am running a cabover camper.

Try and find your antennae and see if you can relocate it.

Skeet/Loreto - 8-31-2006 at 03:58 PM

Hey Runner:
Is Greg Lewellen still racing Stocks out of Oakdale?
Went to the Stocks and Sprints here in Amarillo last Friday; Wow! It was good to get back to the Mud, Blood and Beer.
First Race since I lost my Friend Loyd Beard at Calistoga so many years ago.Worked on his Pit Crew when he was doing Super Modified at Madera, San Jose.

Nothing like watching / hearing those 350 Chevys !!

Skeet/Loreto

Where is the best place to have xm installed?

Keri - 8-31-2006 at 06:17 PM

We have the car and home model but haven't installed either yet. Need help.,k:?:

David K - 8-31-2006 at 06:27 PM

Where's the NASCAR race in Baja guys?

Last I heard, it's SCORE!

Hook - 8-31-2006 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
We have the car and home model but haven't installed either yet. Need help.,k:?:

Give us your model number. Or, better yet, post a link to the product you have.

It is only a matter of time David

thebajarunner - 8-31-2006 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Where's the NASCAR race in Baja guys?

Last I heard, it's SCORE!

Last year we moved on Mexico City,
next year Montreal...
Can Baja be far behind???
VIVA NASCAR!!!!!
(I will wave at you Sunday night on NBC- We sit high above the entry to pit road at California Speedway)

VIVA NASCAR!!!
oops, think I already said that!!