BajaNomad

PITHAYA TRIP SUCCESSFUL

shari - 9-18-2006 at 12:44 PM

Yesterday we went to San Andres, close to San Roque near Asuncion and we were happy to get a whole bucket of lovely, juicy, sweet pithayas...yummy...I'm famous for my Pithaya Margueritas! And we didn't even see a rattlesnake which are very common in pithaya areas. wish you were here to share some of these wonderful baja fruit.

Martyman - 9-20-2006 at 07:41 AM

What is the recipe?

aha baja - 9-20-2006 at 07:56 AM

The women of bahia de Los Angeles mix a little sugar with them and make fruit roll-ups for their kids Fairly healthy minus the sugar but what the hey. Also can be scooped out with a spoon and mixed w/ your drink of choise into a margarita or daqueri.

elgatoloco - 9-20-2006 at 08:14 AM

Sounds yummy. Hope to try it sometime!

Cypress - 9-20-2006 at 08:19 AM

How do you get rid of the thorns? Burn 'em off?:)

aha baja - 9-20-2006 at 08:24 AM

needle nose pliers or burn em off:fire::coolup:

Bajalero - 9-20-2006 at 08:31 AM

Just livin the good life huh Shari! Last time I had some pitayas was in a fruit salad - it was great. The marg sounds good too but everytime the subject of pitaya comes up it makes me want to make a batch of pitaya wine which I haven't tried to do yet . Bet it would at least be as good as Mad Dog 20/20:spingrin:

btw , pitaya , mango cubed , cucumber and a vinegarette for the salad

Now does anyone have a formula for pitaya wine?

lero

Baja's Famous Cactus Fruit

David K - 9-20-2006 at 08:40 AM

Here is my web page on them: http://www.vivabaja.com/1104/page6.html

Antonio ('BajaCactus') and I were heading north from El Rosario and saw the vendors selling the fruit (harvested near La Paz) in San Quintin...

The thorns knocked right off with the brushing of a knife blade.

Antonio shows me how to peel the fruit.

... and I munched away!

How long will they be available?

zforbes - 9-20-2006 at 10:35 AM

Do you think there will be any left at the end of October? The pictures make my mouth water!

Cypress - 9-20-2006 at 11:07 AM

What do they resemble in flavor?:)

Paulina - 9-20-2006 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
What do they resemble in flavor?:)

To me they taste like a combination of watermelon and stawberry. I've never tried it in a margarita like Sheri suggested....sounds like a plan.

Cypress - 9-20-2006 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info Paulina and thanks for the pictures David K.:D:D

David K - 9-20-2006 at 05:41 PM

To me it's texture and taste was like a cherry popcycle... but watermellon/strawberry is maybe a better description. The seeds are tiny like a strawberry, so you just swallow them... (please, let's not talk about 'The Second Harvest' in this thread)!

The fruit is truely exceptional... I understand why the natives celebrated harvest time with wild orgies!:biggrin: