BajaNomad

Best methods to get fish from the shore in the Sea of Cortez?

Taco de Baja - 9-20-2006 at 10:52 AM

My sister is heading to the SoC and wants to borrow my fishing tackle. I don't want to give her my entire tackle box. I am more of a Pacific side fisherman and don't know what works well on the Gulf. No use sending her with things that will not work from the shore on the Gulf. She will be in the Bay of LA area.

Can anyone recommend some methods? You can U2U me if you don’t want to let the entire internet know your secrets ;)

Should she go with lures, or stick with bait (clams?, mussels?, anchovies?, squid?).
I have scampis, plastic squids, krocodiles, and several other flashy lures and plastics; plus a variety of hooks and sinkers.

She will probably want to go for good eating species like halibut and corviva.

Thanks.

jerry - 9-20-2006 at 11:21 AM

id send the whole box with her she might get invited out on a boat??
but then i seem to allways take way too much
the mexican just use a hand line hook and bait

pargo - 9-20-2006 at 11:23 AM

Taco, sounds to me like you've got all she needs. If you're working a sandy beach I like to go with the Krocs, or other surface jigs such as the Rangers with a fast retrieve especially at dawn and dusk. When working rocky outcroppings, which is one of my favorite things to do, I use plastic crank bait minnows of the suspending type. Frenzy, mirrorlure yozuris are all favorites. Rapala X-raps and cultiva are just a couple of the newer lines of products on the market today which are just amazing. Keep in mind that in the Cortez sometimes just about anything works. Be prepared 'cuase you're never know whats on the end of your line in Baja inshore and shore fishing. Around BOLA shores I've caught many juvenile spotted bass and they pounce on just about anything. Tight lines to you and your sis!