BajaNomad

Worst fish to eat from the Sea of Cortez

Sharksbaja - 9-22-2006 at 10:14 AM

Uhhhhh, is there one?? Need more time to sample...

JG - 9-22-2006 at 10:24 AM

Try a Blue Shark or perhaps a nice Toro...UMMMMM...

FARASHA - 9-22-2006 at 10:27 AM

:O:O:O:O:O you eat SHARK!!!!!!!!

Bajamatic - 9-22-2006 at 10:33 AM

sunfish

Don Alley - 9-22-2006 at 10:47 AM

I filleted a black skipjack for someone. I would not want to eat that.

Anyone ever eat a lizardfish?

Puffers can kill you. That's pretty bad, I think. But a friend eats them and says they're really good. Then again, he also says toro and roosters are good too. So, local tastes are different.

Anyone evr eat the red rockfish that sometimes come up on a bait rig? Stoplights? But I bet they're good, just too small to be worth the trouble. Maybe on an LA partyboat they'd be fish tacos.

And, segueing from stoplights to taxicabs, has anyone ever eaten the orange-sided triggers, or taxicabs? No one wants to eat them, so I imagine they'd be pretty bad.

I knew a guy who ate seagull once. It did not taste like chicken.

Bajagypsy - 9-22-2006 at 11:28 AM

My husband and I ate what someone from California called a sheepshead, didn't really like that one, but maybe I didn't cook it right:P

AmoPescar - 9-22-2006 at 12:35 PM

maybe ROOSTERFISH??

Have caught many of them...but never ate any. The skippers in Los Barriles always said "NO BUENO" to eat. Sure are fun to catch though. A challenge to hookup and a great fight!

AMO PESCAR

[Edited on 9-22-2006 by AmoPescar]

comitan - 9-22-2006 at 12:38 PM

Skipjack is disliked by the majority of the people, but one time a Mexican cooked it for us and it was good. He first cut it in pieces and boiled it till it was white, then added a sauce of tomatoes, onions, garlic, spices.

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 01:08 PM

The worst fish from the Sea of Cortez? Hard to say, due to the fact that my experience is very limited. Shark, no offence intended, smells like pee, but tastes good if done up right. I'm not qualified to say one way or the other. Give me some time.

AmoPescar - 9-22-2006 at 04:05 PM

As a young kid fishing...

NOT a SOC story, but similar to Comitan's Skipjack story...

I always heard MACKERAL was no good to eat. But, then one day on a slow fishing trip, I started catching them EVERY cast using a little yellow feather, on a Freshwater type outfit with 4# test. That made the slow and boring trip more fun!

Anyway...the Galley Cook took some of my Macks and fried them up on his Galley grill. They were VERY TASTY!

AMO

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 04:09 PM

Fresh or salted mackeral is hard to beat. If frozen or not fresh, it's OK for bait.:spingrin:

Toro

Skipjack Joe - 9-22-2006 at 05:21 PM

The best gamefish is also the poorest tablefare. My wife once fried up a 15lb jack crevalle. It was like eating horseflesh. Tough, chewy muscles that snapped back to your face. It was a disaster.

I gotta admit those lizardfish look pretty unappetizing. But so do cochi. And scorpiofish, which are supposed to be great, don't look like something I'd like to see on my plate.

Ever have mullet? They're actually pretty decent.

Fried smelt, eaten whole. Delicious. Mom used to make them and it was one of my favorites.

Mackerel are usually reserved for the rose bush or the cat but I once had some that was pickled in something or other and it was excellent.

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 05:52 PM

Skipjack, Mullet! We called it "Biloxi Bacon". Great, fried or smoked. Caught 'em with a "Mullet Gun". a throw net. Sometimes one toss would supply enough for dinner.

well, that would of course be...

capt. mike - 9-22-2006 at 05:53 PM

the butt fish..

buttfish.jpg - 41kB

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 05:58 PM

Thar she blows Matey!!!!:O

backninedan - 9-22-2006 at 06:19 PM

Ill pass on the butt fish, to much cleaning envolved.

Oso - 9-22-2006 at 07:26 PM

Every now and then my employees cook up a mess of "mantaraya". This is not the giant manta ray, but actually stingray "wings". They skin the wings, but the meat will not hold together when cooked so they go ahead and chop it up and fry it in a "disco" (like a wok, but actually a farm implement disk over a charcoal fire or gas burner) mixed with chopped celery, onion, tomato, anaheim chile and sometimes cabbage, all stirred together. You can eat it with a spoon, but most people either scoop it up with pieces of tortilla or make tacos. If you can somehow seperate taste from sight and smell, it's not that bad. Unfortunately for me, it looks and smells like, well... catfood. I never refuse their invitation to join in, but I find that putting it in a taco with lots of lemon juice and hot sauce helps.

Manta Raya Cat Food

Loretana - 9-22-2006 at 10:31 PM

Yuck.....:rolleyes: But my cat Pilar would love it. Even with the hot sauce!

Shark is quite nasty, as well.

I'm not too fond of marlin, either. Too many parasites! :barf:

AmoPescar - 9-22-2006 at 10:47 PM

CAPTAIN MIKE...

That was very BRAVE of you to post a picture of YOURSELF!!...LOL :moon:

Tu Amigo, AMO :saint:

[Edited on 9-23-2006 by AmoPescar]

AmoPescar - 9-22-2006 at 10:56 PM

Hey there OSO...or anyone else

Isn't it the wing of the stingray that some claim is cut out with a circular Biscuit type cutter, and the meat is then be used as a substitute for Scallops?????

Does anybody know the answer to that???? :?:

Amo :O

Phoney Scallops

frizkie - 9-22-2006 at 11:43 PM

In Canada they use a circular cookie cutter kinda tube thing and they punch out scallop looking pieces of meat from skate wings. Then they sell them to people as scallops. They just don't quite have the same grain to them, however.:rolleyes:

frizkie - 9-22-2006 at 11:44 PM

I'd say the worst fish to eat would be puffer fish livers.:barf:

not fish either but...

Sharksbaja - 9-23-2006 at 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by frizkie
In Canada they use a circular cookie cutter kinda tube thing and they punch out scallop looking pieces of meat from skate wings. Then they sell them to people as scallops. They just don't quite have the same grain to them, however.:rolleyes:

They do the same thing in Mulege. They taste pretty good but like the green bugs there, you need to add a flavor.

Once at Rancho de Castro back in the late sixties I had a double flat tire scenario. We limped into the little casita and were greeted warmly. My split rims were no concern to them as they filled the tire with my inflator.

As they worked on the truck we were obliged to enjoy lunch.

Maybe one of the worst meals I've ever had. Get this: abalone ground up and fried like a hambuger patty. Not very cooked in the middle either and on very stale buns. Where they got those way out there is beyond me. That awful meal was served with equall if not worse, very warm Tres XXX beer. Can still taste it@!:barf::barf::barf:

Bob and Susan - 9-23-2006 at 03:34 AM

"I'd say the worst fish to eat would be puffer fish livers."

You ONLY eat that ONCE!!!:lol:

vgabndo - 9-23-2006 at 10:35 AM

There IS a good recipe for Black Skipjack. (Toro)

It is done "planked" and roasted by a Mesquite fire. Take a stout plank large enough to accomodate the whole fish, minus the head, and opened up so it is flat on its back. Plywood is no good for this because of the glue and stuff used to make it. Use little 3d or 4d COMMON nails around the perimeter of the skin to attach it to the plank. (skin side toward the board) Don't use galvies, 'cause zinc ain't good for you. You're going to bake the fish for longer than you would expect, but you'll keep it moist by frequently basting it with your sauce. The best sauce is based on soy and ginger, use plenty of salt and pepper, and what ever you like to give it some zing. Ground red chili flakes are a favorite. Be careful not to get it too salty, depending on how salty the Soy Sauce is. You're going to prop the planked fish near enough to the Mesquite fire to get a good temperature on the fish without causing the board to smoke! Drench the whole works with sauce everytime it seems to be getting dry. Prepare enough steamed white rice to provide a generous cup per serving. When the Toro has taken on a nice golden color, and appears to be flakey all the way down to the skin, remove the planked fish to your counter top, remove the nails, pitch the fish to the dogs and eat the plank.

FARASHA - 9-23-2006 at 10:59 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:this receipt made my day - You just can't do anything wrong, and provides you plenty of fibers inside a menu and the best tasting toothpick with the menu!!:lol::lol::lol:
Thanks A LOT !!

vgabndo - 9-23-2006 at 06:48 PM

Hadn't thought about the toothpick angle, but I DO know that the recipe works well with CARP too.:P

pargo - 9-24-2006 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
maybe ROOSTERFISH??

Have caught many of them...but never ate any. The skippers in Los Barriles always said "NO BUENO" to eat. Sure are fun to catch though. A challenge to hookup and a great fight!

AMO PESCAR

Hey "love to fish" Roosterfish are not good eating, so they say. I caught one in Rancho Leonero once just off the beach in La Ribera. Unfortunately it died during the fight. Our guide, who happened to live right there in La Ribera, pulled up to shore, we went to his house and there his wife made roosterfish machaca. That was quite tasty. It actually looked and tasted like beef. Who knoo!

Oso - 9-24-2006 at 10:37 AM

Have heard variations of the same "board" recipe for carp. But jokes aside, it's actually not bad if done right:

Clean and scale the carp. Cut into "finger food" sized chunks. Soak overnight in saltwater. Smoke it. Serve with crackers and cream cheese.

capn.sharky - 9-24-2006 at 11:26 AM

maybe ROOSTERFISH?? I was always told they were no good too---by skippers in the Buena Vista area. However, this is not true. When placed in hot boiling oil they turn white and are very good to eat. Actually (and I hesitate to say this) they taste a great deal like chicken. Mako and Thresher shark are very good to eat. Lizard fish---no thanks. Same goes for Bonita, mackeral, eels and blue shark. I love squid and octopussy.

No contest

baitcast - 9-24-2006 at 05:23 PM

LA Bay holds the worlds record,worst eating excuse for a fish.

It has a ugly big head,short ugly body,and can hardly move on its on.

We tryed to fry up a couple,and noticed the meat seemed to swell a little,paying no attention we thought we had finished cooking these guys up and and decided to try a piece,maybe it was just the way we fried them up but when you would put a piece in your mouth it would start to swell,it was like biting into a wet,warm hunk of styrofoam with no taste.

It goes by the name BMB
BAITCAST

Sharksbaja - 9-24-2006 at 06:26 PM

LA Bay holds the worlds record,worst eating excuse for a fish.

It has a ugly big head,short ugly body,and can hardly move on its on.

We tryed to fry up a couple,and noticed the meat seemed to swell a little........
--------

OH, those! Yep, we got em here too. Those big sunburned touristas are something.:lol:

Never tried to eat one however.:O

BMB....

Big Mouthed Babe?

[Edited on 9-25-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Diver - 9-24-2006 at 06:44 PM

BMB ?

You caught a Big Mouth Bass off BLA ?
Did you use a RD, MP or TCO ?
Were you in a SH, TH, or IF ?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like maybe you caught a feminine napkin !? :o:rolleyes:

PabloS - 10-1-2006 at 03:14 PM