BajaNomad

Punta Chivato

Capt. George - 9-30-2006 at 08:20 AM

Need some info/advice: can a 19 ft boat be launched somewhere at Punta Chivato without too much a hassle??:?:

thanks Amigos George

capt. mike - 9-30-2006 at 01:10 PM

Jorge.....there is a ramp there.

Joelt - 9-30-2006 at 01:26 PM

The ramp is near the hotel. Turn right just before the hotel and take the road that accesses the houses along the beach next to the air strip. It's a few hundred yards down on the left. You will have to back up from the road since they have fenced off some of the property there. No problem. I hear the dorado are thick as flys this year! Good luck.

Capt. George - 9-30-2006 at 04:18 PM

Muchas Gracias Amigos

Mike, when ya gonna visit?? Hope to haul the boat and camper to Chivato .
this coming week.

Joelt, thanks for the tip. Love Dorado, will bring along my "killers". Looks like I'll haul the Dusky...

gracias George

Skeet/Loreto - 10-1-2006 at 03:23 AM

Joelt: Has the road to Chivato been Paved or is it still a Washboard??
George, if it is unpaved,be sure you Tiedown everything in the Dusky!!

George I will be in Loreto the First Week in November, will you be in the Area?Would like to see you "Eyeball to Eyeball".

Skeet/Loreto

Capt. George - 10-1-2006 at 05:38 AM

Skeet

not sure if I'll be here or in FL or on my way. If I am still here will make every effort to get to Loreto. Would like to see you also.

How are Virginia, Todd etc.? did you know I sold the Keys house? now on Lake Pierce central FL

Thnaks for the advice/info Amigos! George

Russ - 10-1-2006 at 06:02 PM

Skeet The storm hit the Chivato road pretty hard so there are some detours. But my neighbor just brought in a 30' trailer so a boat would be a breeze. The camp beach has/is being cleaned up. You can probably launch a 16' boat from the beach. I launch my ponga infront of the house. The fence limiting launch access at the ramp has been removed. Bobby and Jeffery Lujan have gone a long way in mending fences in our community. They deserve a lot of credit.

Phil S - 10-1-2006 at 07:35 PM

Skeet. For some reason I can't get the U2U to work. Here is my phone number in Nopolo. Yu know the first two numbers. Last five is 30800 I noticed you didn't answer my last question a few days ago. Give me a call when you get there. Phil S & Wendy L

Skeet/Loreto - 10-2-2006 at 04:38 AM

Phils; John Coyle and I are coming in on Alaska Air and will be staying at the Juneiperio Hotel. Will call you for sure.
emails is skeeter48@attwb.net

Skeet

Hook - 10-2-2006 at 11:20 AM

George, it's been about two years since I launched at the "hotel" ramp but it can be a little iffy at really low tides, especially if you arent 4WD. There was a dropoff on one side of the ramp that could cause problems retrieving at low tide without an extremely long winch strap. To back in and retrieve did require the rear two tires to get pretty wet and if that's your traction, it can be problematic.

4WD, no worries. Or, avoid the extreme low tides and you're fine.

http://oceanografia.cicese.mx/predmar/mensual/str/str0610.pd...

Capt. George - 10-3-2006 at 06:30 AM

hOOK

Thanks! I have 4X4 and diesel. Will start this trip with my 12 ft Klamath..If I laike what I see I will return to Abreojos and pick up the Dusky...not a long trip and roads are ok.

what can I expect in the way of fish this time of year at Chivato? Right now Ojos pretty much all jorel...yellowfin soon to show as are the garoppa (BIG).

thanks for any info George

Russ - 10-3-2006 at 09:31 AM

Dorado were hot only two miles off the islands early in the week. It's slowed down a bit now.
Billfish are showing and if we get a repeat of last year the tuna and marlin may come in soon. Already some reports of tuna boiling. Bring the big boat. The wind can come up fast. And the fishing will move out towards Torguga soon. The launch ramp is in good shape. There are enough people here now to give you all sorts of advise and the San Lucas fisherman are on the radio with even more info. Ch. 72. Hope you have a great trip.

Russ is right-on!

Hook - 10-3-2006 at 10:27 AM

Bring the Dusky to have any shot at the dorado or the jureles off the north end of San Marcos. Otherwise its pargo and grouper around the close islas in the Klamath. Maybe some bottom grabbers at the Rancho reef.

Cypress - 10-3-2006 at 10:40 AM

Launching and hauling out at low-water ramps. Grease the skids.:tumble: Back down and hit the breaks, she'll slide right off.:spingrin: Pulling out?Get a running start and jump on it, you'll slide right up to the hitching post.:smug: Takes a little practice. Four wheel drive is mandatory.:tumble:

Russ - 10-4-2006 at 05:50 AM

Grease the skids? NOT ... Try a nonpoluting spray. It won't collect sand and rocks and doesn't make everything it touches dirty. I put 1/2" plastic over the bunks and it works great. Make sure the screws are counter sunk and not up! ---Been there done that.---

Russ - 10-4-2006 at 06:17 AM

Neighbor just informed me the Dusky is shaft driven. That could be a little touchy at lower tides. There are no docks to load up from.

Cypress - 10-4-2006 at 06:25 AM

Russ, Nonpolluting spray would be mo betta! Thanks.;)

Capt. George - 10-4-2006 at 09:48 AM

Dusky has a 140 Suzuki Outboard with a Bracket...no problem

PAM works great as a slider..also have teflon slides on trailer, built trailer specifically for Baja.

Gonna bring the tin boat, look around, and if I want return to Ojos for Dusky...no biggie...time not an issue any longer.

Thanks for all the input....wadda site! Any infi is good info..George

Diver - 10-4-2006 at 10:03 AM

George,

Bring the Dusky !
You will be able to launch and the 12 footer won't allow much comfort for a trip out to the fish or if the wind comes up.
That's the choice I'd make having fished and dove from many Duskys in south Florida. They are nice boats.

Russ - 10-4-2006 at 05:50 PM

Capt. George,
Looks as though you've got it covered. Just went to town and the road is bumpy and a bit slow but enjoy something cold and look around a bit. I spent 4 days at Campo Rene last spring and would like to hear from someone that knows the area. Give "bonehead" a call on 72 if you have time.

Capt. George - 10-4-2006 at 08:54 PM

Diver

Glad to hear from someone that knows a Dusky, one great boat! Will come at first with the tin boat..have an appt in Mulege on Tues, if I get the urge, I'll go back to Ojos and get the Dusky...time will tell, I got plenty of that. Had a house on Ramrod Key, had a guide service there for about 8 years, bonefish, tarpon etc. loved it but got tooooo crowded. Now have a house on Lake Pierce in Central FL, fish for largemouth, gives me time to come down....look like calicos...Stop by at the beach, a 2003 black F350 noise machine (diesel) & a Palomino pop top... Thanks for the help George

Russ thanks for the heads up on VHF, I will have my hand held in tin boat, will be camping somewhere on the beach, come on by to say hello. Been living in Ojos a few years, know a lot about the area from Renee on up through San Ruque...a beautiful and fish laden coast...

stop by, got some good stories!