BajaNomad

Puerto Nuevo?

Hook - 10-2-2006 at 07:47 PM

We dont need no stinkin' Puerto Nuevo.

13 legals in 2 hours with 7 hoops at Cat, Saturday night.

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by Hook]

lobby 06 opener.jpg - 43kB

vgabndo - 10-2-2006 at 08:40 PM

Isn't there a special place on this forum for COMMON BRAGGING??? (wink)

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by vgabndo]

jerry - 10-2-2006 at 08:54 PM

yup right here wink nice catch hook

Frank - 10-2-2006 at 10:27 PM

Break out the Lard!!!!!!!

Cypress - 10-3-2006 at 10:56 AM

Get the water boiling!:biggrin:

DanO - 10-3-2006 at 11:16 AM

My recipe -- split bugs lengthwise while still alive, remove vein, sprinkle with garlic salt and white pepper, saute in olive oil over medium-high heat starting with meat side down, pile on platter, and fight over who gets the big one!

Hook - 10-3-2006 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
My recipe -- split bugs lengthwise while still alive, remove vein, sprinkle with garlic salt and white pepper, saute in olive oil over medium-high heat starting with meat side down, pile on platter, and fight over who gets the big one!

Gotta try that method.......but cant you simply de-tail them and then split down the middle? We never bother with the body meat.

Our recipe is pretty basic.......just steam until translucence is gone, then lemon, butter and a little Spike.

Thanks for the tip, DanO.

Hook - 10-3-2006 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
do you cook those bugs Hook? I guess it isn't bbq, haha!

I think those bugs live a lot closer to Baja than the ones they sell at Puerto Nuevo.

These bugs wouldn't have stood up to the dorado, IMO, Jorge! We ate the largest one last night and I preferred your bros dorado.

Ya know, when you see what constitutes legals up in the States, you realize what a crime it is serving the size they do at PN. I swear I've been served ones that were more than one inch short along the back.

Anyway, we are hooping 1-2 nights this weekend at Buccaneer Days so if we are successful, keep a night open next week and we'll have you over.

This assumes I dont get hung or keelhauled or run through or shot this weekend........

Diver - 10-3-2006 at 02:54 PM

Take a meat scissors and cut the shell down the top of the tail. Pull the tail meet out of the shell so it lays on top of the shell. Put this in the steamer until almost cooked (about 6-10 minutes depending on size). Do not overcook. Then take the steamed tails and splather with garlic-lemon butter and place in the broiler for a minute or two until the tops start to brown. I can taste them now ..........

Skipjack Joe - 10-3-2006 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
My recipe -- split bugs lengthwise while still alive...

I'm going to report this to PETA.

DanO - 10-3-2006 at 04:11 PM

PETA? Those guys should stick with lab rats and killer whales -- leave my food alone.

Let's be clear -- lobsters are food. Good food. And they just aren't as tasty when you prepare them after they've died. The splitting is perfectly humane -- you insert the tip of a heavy and very sharp chef's knife into the head directly behind the eyes and pierce downward until the point of the knife goes down and through to your cutting surface, then leverage the rest of the blade in a downward arc until you've sliced through the shell and the blade rests on edge on the cutting surface. Then simply draw the blade out across the end of the tail. Properly done, it takes a second or two.

Hook, the stuff in the shell adds a richer flavor to the oil you're sauteeing in (I don't remove the coral or the liver, for instance), which boosts the flavor of the meat. There's also good meat in the small legs that you can extract by holding the leg down with the blunt back edge of a knife and pulling the leg through so the meat extrudes out the end. The guys who taught me this method (the old version of which calls for the use of lard) got every last scrap out of theirs.

I also reserve the shells and after dinner throw them into a pot with some water, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, salt and black peppercorns, to make a lobster stock. The next day, if I have any leftover lobster meat (ha!), I simmer the stock with some saffron and a few chopped potatoes, and some cream or milk, then blend it, stir in the chopped leftover lobster meat, and bam! (as they say on TV), a killer lobster bisque. Mmmmmmm . . . .

Edit: If your lobsters die on you before you're ready to cook them, you definitely should remove the tails -- the internal organs will start decomposing internally and will contaminate the tail meat unless you freeze the whole bug immediately. Since the tails take up less freezer space, it's best to tail them off (and toss those bodies in the soup pot).

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by DanO]

dean miller - 10-3-2006 at 04:20 PM

Hook,

Please take some time for education of the uneducated masses...

Did you personally capture 13 legal "bugs"

What is the legal limit (quanity) of "bugs" per person ?

What is a "hoop?"

Is "Cat" Catalina Island off the coast of California?

Does "Saturday night" indicate that you were diving?

Please advise-- inquiring minds want to be educated!

DM

Skipjack Joe - 10-3-2006 at 04:43 PM

Just stirring the pot, DanO ... That's all.

Check this out. I'll never order sweet and sour pork again.

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by Skipjack Joe]

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by Skipjack Joe]

PETA.jpg - 37kB

Diver - 10-3-2006 at 04:52 PM

Since these are spiny lobsters like those I chased in south Florida for years, I can confirm that the limit in Florida waters is 12 per day per diver and 24 max. per boat. Unless, of course, you have a commercial license.
I can't remember the minimum carapice length but there is still a gage hanging from my low pressure hose.

Diver - 10-3-2006 at 04:57 PM

Who says lobsters can't talk ??
When they are alive and you twist the tail off the carapice, they almost always make a little scream. :rolleyes:
Now, if you boil them whole, no screams......:?::no:

Frank - 10-3-2006 at 05:14 PM

Im not Hook, he is probably still eating bugs, but heres some answers.

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Hook,

Please take some time for education of the uneducated masses...

Did you personally capture 13 legal "bugs"

Ca. limit is 7 per angler

What is the legal limit (quanity) of "bugs" per person ?

See above

What is a "hoop?"

Hoop net is baited and sent to the bottom, then when you cant stand it anymore, you pull it up as fast as you can.

Is "Cat" Catalina Island off the coast of California?

Yes

Does "Saturday night" indicate that you were diving?

Lobsters like to crawl out of the caves at night

Please advise-- inquiring minds want to be educated!

DM

BTW Hook, more bugs in L A then in San Diego. Dont get the Gout buddy :biggrin:

[Edited on 10-4-2006 by Frank]

dean miller - 10-4-2006 at 05:19 AM

"Hook,''

Per your stand in "Frank" of San Diego the California legal limit of Bugs is 7 (seven) per angler,

Does that indicate that you somehow managed to capture almost two times the legal limit with 13 (thirteen) "Bugs?" Only one of which you displayed for the tribe? Wheres the other 12 (twelve?)

It is recognized that lobsters are nocturnal and forage at night.

DM

elgatoloco - 10-4-2006 at 08:34 AM

Sashimi. Sushi. Lobster Dynamite. Lobster Soup.

During lobster season our favorite sushi chef takes a whole live lobster and seperates the tail from the body, cuts the tail meat into small bite size morsels, puts it back in the tail shell and then serves as a large sashimi plate including uni, hamachi,toro,sake or whatever your heart desires. While he is preparing the dish, takes him about five minutes, he has kept the rest of the lobster whole and has some wet paper towels over the eyes of the lobster to keep it calm (it does not know it's dead yet) and he then props the body and head on some daikon that he has mounded on the plate and removes the towels and places the whole delicious sampling of fresh sashimi in front of you and the 'bug' is moving his antenae around as you calmy and slowly dip (lightly) the tasty morsels of fresh, sweet tail meat into a small dish of shoyu with fresh grated real wasabi root.

The rest of the meal will include, among other items, servings of lobster sushi, then a serving of lobster dynamite ( he takes a section of the tail and meat and bakes it in the oven with a spicy garlic mayo) then you finish with a tasty miso lobster soup made with the carapice and legs.

DanO - 10-4-2006 at 10:49 AM

EGL, that sounds frickin' awesome. Name and location of the sushi bar?

I guess I should expect.......

Hook - 10-4-2006 at 11:15 AM

............that posting incomplete info on the method of take would result in limits questions. In fact, I purposely omitted the details to see if someone would.

It was 13 lobbies between two licensed anglers. We were using the legal hoops allowed in CA; a combination of the new conical ones and the conventional ones made by Promar. Inconclusive as to which were better although the conicals seem easier to raise and would seem to trap the bugs better. Both literally netted legals.

Very difficult and somewhat dangerous to attempt hooping solo. So, one pulls the hoops while another is at the helm until the hoop in on board. The chances of wrapping the floating line around the prop is very real; that's the main reason two persons are preferred. And since you are usually VERY close to shore, that's where the danger lies.

We were using the bait cages by Promar in conjunction with some of those plastic bait capsules. I drilled several 3/8" holes in those and we used two of them loaded with chunks of bonito and macks in one net. It did attract lobster, but not to the degree of the bait cages. Gonna separate those into other nets also containing bait cages and fill them with some cheap fish-based cat food. Hopefully, it will act as a nice dispersing attractant.

CA limit is 7 per 24 hour period per angler. A multi-day permit is available if you are out for two or more 24 hour periods.

We were somewhere at Catalina Island off the SoCal coast. At night, when the bugs crawl.

I guess the only real Baja aspect of the post was the reference to P.N. There was certainly a WEE bit of braggadosio that also motivated the post. It was my (or rather OUR) single best night ever.

More hooping this weekend............

Dean, I did not see any reason to show all thirteen. The only time they were all together was on the boat. I returned home with six, though I was the hoopman this night and technically "caught" all 13. I got the largest as compensation for the smaller amount. That was the one I was holding.

elgatoloco - 10-4-2006 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
EGL, that sounds frickin' awesome. Name and location of the sushi bar?

Sushi Ota
4529 Mission Bay Drive
San Diego, CA 92109-4920
858 270 5670

The key is to call a week or two ahead and make a reservation. Ota, the owner, only works the number one station on one or two nights, Friday for sure being one. You need to ask the hostess for a seating with Ota. Then tell Otasan you want the Omikasa (chef's choice) Lobster dinner. If there are things you do not like, tell him and then just sit back and see what comes over the counter. Tell him you want the whole bug and tell him Barb & Matt sent you. If you can't get a seat with Ota (he books up early) the other chefs are equally skilled and trained by the master himself. Let us know and we can all go together.

The other thing I will mention is that when you make your reservation they may tell you that you can get a seat at 5:30 but you have to be out at 7:00 or 7:30, as they have already booked for a later time.

Have fun!