BajaNomad

San Bruno in Oct.

bajabass - 10-4-2006 at 02:47 PM

I am going to San Bruno the end of Oct. What can I expect fishing in pangas off the island?

Hook - 10-4-2006 at 04:01 PM

Uh......which San Bruno?

capt. mike - 10-4-2006 at 04:57 PM

probably next to san lucas cove?? by the san bruno / palo verdes aeropuerto??

bajabass - 10-4-2006 at 05:22 PM

Just south of San Lucas Cove.Fished there in early May for a couple hours. Hoping for dorado now. I have a house in La Mision( near Enseneda), and fish outof La Salina almost every week, but have next to no experience in the Sea of Cortez. I am fully stocked in Rapalas,Yozuris,iron, plastics,feathers,ect. 15 to40lb. setups. I read after the storm that dorado are great out of Mulege,I have a place to stay in San Bruno, and next to free rides on my girlfriends great uncle"s pangas. No phone to contact him though.

Russ - 10-5-2006 at 05:56 AM

The local San Bruno fishermen are well in formed. Bring a marine radio and nonitor ch. 72. Late Oct. is my favorite time and anything is possible. Pick a fish you want to go for and just ask where and what to use and you'll get a s--- load of help.

bajabass - 10-5-2006 at 08:55 AM

Thanks Russ, he has been there forever! I just bought a VHF-GPS. I will give a yell, and mark a few good locations if I can figure this new-fangled electronic device out. Any hot feather colors I should stock up on?

Hook - 10-5-2006 at 11:27 AM

Russ will have more current info but the colors that I wont leave home without are blue-white, pink-white, green-orange, mex flag, grn-blk, purp-blk. Over all the years I've fished the area I swear the Mean Joe gets hit the most.

Can your panguero keep live bait? Nothing like having macs when you pull up to a paddy that is holding. Also good for yellers off of San Marcos.

bajabass - 10-5-2006 at 11:49 AM

I will pick up a couple more Mean Joes. Thanks! " Baja Catch" is my new bible. I just would like as much info as possible. I am in La Mision every weekend, but owning a business in O.C. makes it hard to get a full week to play with you kids down south!! Macs may live for a while in the "bait tank" under one of the seats. I have had good luck throwing and trolling BIG plastics for jurels and WSB off La Mision when the macs are scarce. Real bait is always better though. I am really looking forward to BBQ"ed dorado and some trigger fish ceviche!! I will take some 6 and 8 inch Big Hammers as well.I love the initial hits on swim baits!!

SSHH!

pargo - 10-5-2006 at 11:59 AM

If Dave hears all this fishin' talk he'll have a fit!

bajabass - 10-5-2006 at 12:12 PM

I will be fishing the 22nd thru 27th. Mi novias tio lives right next to the little "marina" in San Bruno. There will be room for one more. Be great to meet some other nomads! I may try one day out of Mulege. Are the pangas up and running after the storm? Has anybody ran into any jacks in the "surf" in the area. Love the small ones on my spinning tackle!

Russ - 10-5-2006 at 05:54 PM

All good advice! I like to pull jetheads and tuna clones. Sometimes the small ones work well. And Ceder Plugs can take dorado, bill fish and tuna. Good luck!
Don't forget to talk to the local fishermen, Gringos & Mexicanos they know a lot more than I do.

[Edited on 10-6-2006 by Russ]