BajaNomad

Fishing from shore in San Felipe

BajaJim - 10-4-2006 at 06:12 PM

Ok, I have never fished in the ocean and I don't do well on boats. Any suggestions for fishing from the shore in San Felipe north of town?

chino - 10-4-2006 at 07:39 PM

It's good casting practice!

Oso - 10-4-2006 at 09:30 PM

Generally, anywhere you have a long, flat, shallow, sandy bottom with no rocks, piers or other structure and no discernible surf, about all you're going to catch are stingrays. Try heading south past Puertecitos until you find some rocks and/or relatively deep drop-offs. Try a long, medium action surf rod with maybe 20# line, circle hooks on a two drop rig, baited with squid and a Bull Durham sack half-full of sand for a sinker. Pick a spot where a rogue wave won't knock you off the rocks. Suerte!

[Edited on 10-6-2006 by Oso]

Corvina

pangamadness - 10-4-2006 at 10:45 PM

There are corvina off the beach at K 11, Punta diggs, and shell Isl. White feathers and spoons work.

David K - 10-5-2006 at 12:42 AM

Yes, corvina is caught as pangamadness describes and croaker, corbina, and other tastey fish are caught using bait (squid, clams, mussel, cut fish). Just cast out from the beach on an incoming tide. Casting into inlets like Percebu's lagoon and Bahia Santa Maria, when the tide was filling them, once was the hot ticket!

baja829 - 10-5-2006 at 11:22 AM

I don't fish, but it seems the world comes down and fishes in various places from the shore in the South Campos. I have a feeling if I tell you where, I might get shot, or have to look at a sea of people from my palapa. I just know it's done, alot, with great success -- don't know how and think it better if I don't tell you where. Isn't finding "the" place have the fun of fishing???

jimgrms - 10-6-2006 at 01:02 PM

Get on the rocks around the lighthouse (north side and use a ultra lite spinning out fit w a small silver or silver red cast master lure get the walmart knockoff lures lots of small cabrilla and are good toeat