BajaNomad

How do I avoid the Baja 1000?

Martyman - 10-5-2006 at 01:02 PM

We will be camped South of BOLA the week (Nov6-10) before the race. Will there be hundreds of pre-race runners? I am not a gearhead! Is there a side road that might get us further away from the race crowd?
Will there be any dorado at that late date?

surfer jim - 10-5-2006 at 01:33 PM

Wouldn't worry about pre-runners....you may see a few...maybe a dozen...and you will enjoy watching them go by....and start thinking about how much fun it would be to drive one.....;)

capt. mike - 10-5-2006 at 01:56 PM

the dorados hate the noise too, they leave during the race.:biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce R Leech - 10-5-2006 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
We will be camped South of BOLA the week (Nov6-10) before the race. Will there be hundreds of pre-race runners? I am not a gearhead! Is there a side road that might get us further away from the race crowd?

just get some ear plugs and a dust mask and set back and enjoy.

Don Alley - 10-5-2006 at 03:55 PM

I think you'll be late for dorado that far north, maybe a stray here and there. Loreto's too far north too, that time of year. Maybe the yellowtail will be on the bite. Or....

Try hooking one of the cars as they speed by, pretend they're wahoo. But don't use real heavy line and a harness.

TMW - 10-5-2006 at 05:52 PM

It's hard to say how many will be prerunning. The weekends, Friday thru Monday, usually have the most. The prerunners won't usually be like one after another day and night. Most will be in groups in case someone breaks. They normally won't be running at race speed either because the road is open to everyone. But sometimes there is one nut in the sack.

Martyman - 10-6-2006 at 08:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. We're hoping to catch the Jurel migration but maybe hooking a 4 X 4 might be fun too!!.
When I was a kid I had a paper route and we used to hook the rubber bands together and stretch them across the street...maybe modify that into something...

Bajajorge - 10-6-2006 at 09:01 AM

Avoiding the race is easy. Just stay home.:?:

Martyman - 10-6-2006 at 12:17 PM

Jorge and panchos3
Where is the love Gearhead?

pargo - 10-8-2006 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
I think you'll be late for dorado that far north, maybe a stray here and there. Loreto's too far north too, that time of year. Maybe the yellowtail will be on the bite. Or....

Try hooking one of the cars as they speed by, pretend they're wahoo. But don't use real heavy line and a harness.

Use circle hooks and please don't tell Dave what you're doing.;D

Martyman - 10-10-2006 at 03:21 PM

Who's Dave? Dave's not here, man?

Best advice you will get

thebajarunner - 10-10-2006 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

If indeed you are going to be there when the racers go by just remember three things:

1. Camp on the up-wind side of the road

2. Stay off the road

3. STAY OFF THE ROAD!!!

and enjoy

violate 2 or 3 and people die....