BajaNomad

The Vow

Packoderm - 12-16-2003 at 09:36 PM

I hereby vow, from this point in time, to the first of the coming new year, to completely abstain from any mention: verbal, written, or implied, of any conversation, correspondence, or any other means of online communication that contains any amount of politicized content. I will not mention concepts, persons, or opinions of policy at the Baja Nomad website for the above determined amount of time, and at Baja.net. - I will never discuss politics at Baja.net at all; ever.

If it does not have to do with Baja on a tangible basis, it does not have anything to do with me. For instance, if somebody who lives somewhere else other than Baja announces on Baja Nomad that they have just had a newborn child, I will not reply in any manner, for this does not have anything directly to do with Baja, and somebody else who has just had a child might have the impression that I have the opinion that one birth might be more important than the other; that is political. I will be completely non-partial on absolutely all issues. Forgive me for my stoic position, but it is going to be nothing but all Baja all the time for me for obvious reasons.

These conditions apply to my correspondence on Baja boards only.

I am also removing my signature, ?TMSAISTI? which means, ?That?s my story and I?m sticking to it,? due to its non-relevance to Baja subject matter.

I am quite sincere in my vow. I will not for any reason contravene this vow. Is anybody else on the Baja Nomad website prepared to make such a vow?

Dave - 12-16-2003 at 09:55 PM

ROTFLMAO!

Yes!

Mike Humfreville - 12-16-2003 at 10:03 PM

But only on the "General Discussion Center." Thank you Pack for your effort and I personally agree but I know others want a broader board so we can compromise. But I will place my name next to yours to stick exactly to Baja California and our experiences, past, present and future there. As I said in a previous post, we are under no obligation to open other bajanomad forums here. Live and let live. But I do agree strongly that we should be able to have the "General Discussion Center" just for Baja.

And as far as the TMSAISTI? It's in the attic!

[Edited on 12-17-2003 by Mike Humfreville]

Packoderm - 12-16-2003 at 10:11 PM

Mike H., how can I act like a jerk when there is a nice guy like you around?

Get a grip, Packoderm!!!

Stephanie Jackter - 12-16-2003 at 10:22 PM

Would you just give up the oaths and the vows and have a good time!! We talk about what we want to talk about and to whom we wish to talk about it with. You still don't get the true beauty of this board, friend! The thing that this board respects is that we all love Baja, but we still have other facets to our mental lives that sometimes intersect with our passion for Baja and sometimes don't. Those connections, to me are just as important as interest in Baja and I'm just delighted that Doug lets us indulge them. From discussing politics to sharing recipies to comiserating about environmental degredation, to translating Tomas el Tren to enquiring as to whether fantasies of cheap vacations to Baja can come true, I enjoy it all. There's no reason that either I or you should have to be limited at all in what interests us here. Helelujah.

If you want to talk non-politically and only about Baja, GO TO FRED'S BOARD! They'll love to have you - and, just a hunch - you'll be bored out of your gordito in about a week. But we'll all be glad to welcome you back with open arms (as we seem to do with everybody who threatens to leave!)......Or you could just go sit on a pillow and cross your legs, close your eyes and with hands apart (middle fingers connecting to thumb), quietly say Ohhhhm, Oooohhhhm for a few days if you can't handle the stress of too much political content in your life.....Good Luck on Your Mission either way!!! - Stephanie

p.s. good posts on the electoral college, by the way........

Anonymous - 12-16-2003 at 10:23 PM

SORRY... can not reply to your post...it is not about BAJA directly...and to answer would break the vow...I need help...:lol:

Pack, et al

Mike Humfreville - 12-16-2003 at 10:31 PM

Come and join us at Bahia de Los Angeles for New Years. We've had some great discourses and arguments on bajanomad but there is no place better to have the time to form relationships than a place where time stands still: Baja California.

Just post anonymously fer the next few weeks!!!! It'll help ya outa the pinch!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha

Stephanie Jackter - 12-16-2003 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
SORRY... can not reply to your post...it is not about BAJA directly...and to answer would break the vow...I need help...:lol:

El Camote - 12-16-2003 at 11:01 PM

But, what if I want to ask you about taking my newborn child to Baja for the first time and what happens if we run out of Huggies while down there and if it's better, as a substitute, to wrap his little tushie with corn or flour tortillas?

Do you really want to shut yourself out of such important topics?! :yes:

I recommend the flour. You get better coverage.

Stephanie Jackter - 12-16-2003 at 11:05 PM

Change frequently, though. They can get a little gluey. - Stephanie:biggrin:

Stephanie

Nikon - 12-17-2003 at 08:58 AM

Perhaps while we wait for more weighty issues to come along, you could reverse the positions of the "i" and "e" in your "wierd"
Enjoy all your posts.
El Nikono

[Edited on 12-17-2003 by Nikon]

Bob H - 12-17-2003 at 09:19 AM

Packoderm, you crack me up! :lol:
Bob H

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 09:26 AM

El Camote, just remember: when in Baja, do as the Bajaians do. Well, I?m not sure if this is how Baja Californios still do it, but you could take some old bed sheets, cut them into roughly 2.5X2.5 sections, sprinkle one cloth section liberally (not in the political sense) with corn or wheat flour, fold it into a triangle, and carefully attach, by using safety pins, to your newborn baby.

Packoderm - 12-17-2003 at 09:28 AM

El Camote, that was me.

Thank you all for your support durring these next two weeks.

Natalie Ann - 12-17-2003 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Packoderm, you crack me up! :lol:
Bob H

:lol:Me too!

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 09:32 AM

It's corn starch they use - not flour.

I just have one New Year's request: could you all please spell Border correctly. Not boarder.

Packoderm - 12-17-2003 at 09:44 AM

Mr. Anonymous, (I really wish you would use a registered name) I stand corrected. Corn starch ? I got to remember that; corn starch.

Nikon - 12-17-2003 at 09:48 AM

Sorry, Stephanie. I should have used U2U for that. Newbies are screwups.

jimmy smith - 12-17-2003 at 11:54 AM

Pampers?
Huggies?
Flour Tortillas?
Corn Tortillas?
Corn Starch?
Seems to me that the Cochimia, Pericue and Guaycura had the perfect solution--the ground'll hold it!

One of things I just hate about english!

Stephanie Jackter - 12-17-2003 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikon
Perhaps while we wait for more weighty issues to come along, you could reverse the positions of the "i" and "e" in your "wierd"
Enjoy all your posts.
El Nikono

I guess "I before E except after C" gets thrown out the window on this one. Like all the so called "rules" for english. Thanks for the corrections from you and Mr Anonymous. Don't get too carried away with being the spelling police, though, as I simply refuse to use spell check when I'm ranting to anyone other than the editor of the newspaper.

Funny story. My oldest daughter is mildly dyslexic. Although she's an intelligent person otherwise, it affects her ability to read efficiently and she is the worst speller of english in the universe. When we moved to Mexico for a year when she was in third grade, she, all of a sudden, became quite literate, but in spanish. I was stunned when she brought her spanish book home from school after a few days there and started reading and writing it like a pro even though she hadn't the foggiest idea what most of it meant.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could simplify written english so that it didn't turn into a burning tire around the neck of a fair percentage of our population and where the rules were uniform without exceptions around every corner?

It's easy to be a purist about our very sullied language system till you see a poor child struggling with it. We gotta simplify this crap before it drives us all crazy!

Does this count for being back to more serious conversation? UH OH! Hurry!! Close your eyes and wrap your fingers up in little strips of tortillas and Maizena, Packoderm!!! - Stephanie

ferdic1 - 12-17-2003 at 05:15 PM

Stephanie:

I suspect that one of the things that is most screwing this world up is all the parents who are trying to make things easier for their kids than they had it.

Life (and English) is supposed to be tough, because we become better through surmounting obstacles.

I don't know exactly what this has to do with Baja, except that to enjoy anything there you have to go to all the trouble of getting out of bed, getting all your stuff together, being prepared to handle whatever comes your way, and above all be self-reliant. I love it!

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 08:09 PM

Stephanie, I saw this slogan somewhere and thought it appropriate.

"Come on bad spellers, let's untie!"...El Mochilero"

Lets untie!

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 08:11 PM

Very funny!

Steph......

Debra - 12-17-2003 at 09:03 PM

You mentioned a few days ago that you were going for surgery.....You seem to be back really quick.....(good for you!) when my Auntie had that done, it took her months to MOVE!

Not yet.

Stephanie Jackter - 12-17-2003 at 09:35 PM

I'm getting it done in April. The backlog of people who are seeking bariatric surgery is so long that it takes between 6 to 10 months to get the surgery. There were around 20,000 stomach surgeries done in 1998. There are 125,000 a year now. Business is hoppin'.

Stephanie Jackter - 12-17-2003 at 10:20 PM

Ferdic1: I suspect that one of the things that is most screwing this world up is all the parents who are trying to make things easier for their kids than they had it.

Life (and English) is supposed to be tough, because we become better through surmounting obstacles.

Stephanie: You don't get it, Ferdic1. One in five people in this country never learns to read properly, many because of an anomoly we call dyslexia. The brain problem that dyslexia is symptomatic of can be diagnosed in countries like Italy, Greece, Mexico and other countries with phonic languages, but the incidence of diagnosis is very low because the children still become fluent readers and do not suffer social ostracization and economic hardship because they are still able to learn to read.

The whole idea of written language is to share common knowledge, history and culture and produce citizens who can participate fully in the economic life of the country. To be demanding enough to say that we make it hard and we know many will fail, but that's OK cause they need the challenge to develop their lifeskills muscles, seems to me elitist, and in the final analysis, cruel.

Resistance to change is a fundamental characteristic of human existence, and what could be harder to change than the way one has been taught to read and write. But I believe that it is high time to at least plant the seed of the idea that our language desperately needs to be standardized so as not to lock a huge segment of our population into poverty and shame because they cannot read no matter how hard they try.

The difference between my own child when she was three years old and would turn the pages of her Madeline book and recite, line by line, every word of the twenty page poem that I had read to her by memory with glee, and the little girl who regularly broke down in tears in the second grade, knowing that the written page was still an enigma and all the other children were passing her by still makes me hurt to think about. I was able to tutor my child for 2 solid years and bring her up to snuff enough to get her up to grade level, but she is still challenged. What about all those children like her whose parents don't have the resources that I did. Just screw 'em?

Ferdic1: I don't know exactly what this has to do with Baja, except that to enjoy anything there you have to go to all the trouble of getting out of bed, getting all your stuff together, being prepared to handle whatever comes your way, and above all be self-reliant. I love it!

Stephanie: It has nothing to do with Baja. But ask me if I care. I respond to threads as they come up. If I start a thread, I make absolutely sure it is put in the appropriate category, but can't be responsible for tailoring my discussion to the heading instead of what the posts are if someone else isn't as conscientious as I am or if the thread morphs.

As far as what it takes to be a Bajafile, it probably requires none of the attributes you cite, only a nice little padded bank account from wherever that might come. Gettin' out of bed aint that hard a task. - Stephanie

As someone that has fought the 'weight thing'

Debra - 12-17-2003 at 10:21 PM

for years (I should go check, dont' know which board I'm one......thanks Mike H.).....Whoops, I'll change to talk to Steph.......

Should this be the 'political board? I would like to get some advice on this. Thanks Debra

And by the way........

Debra - 12-17-2003 at 11:00 PM

I find the news of the new (Baja Babies) El Camote's (first) and Sally's new G-baby (born in Baja BTW) VERY much news I can use!.....so, I'm sorry if it upset's (why?).....

El Camote mentioned "Huggies" soooooooo? I wanted to tell him that "Luv's" would be much cheaper! and the advice with the cotten diaper (good advice) ......except, not in Baja.......You have to clean them......

Sorry to "offend" ( the Baja only) but, sorrier to, offend people that, don't understand that this is a forum that just want's to all. PAZ

ferdic1 - 12-18-2003 at 07:24 AM

Stephanie, I don't mean to be at all cruel, and I'm the opposite of elitist. I truly have compassion for your daughter's difficulties, and those experienced by all others who are dyslexic.

But to suggest that the most successul, widely used language the world has ever known, that is steadily heading toward being the universal language in educated (well, OK, "elitist" if you insist) circles, should be overhauled and standardized to help dyslexics seems to me a stretch. I'd like to know the evidence that it is the English language's irrationalities that cause dyslexics exclusive grief.

Even then, I don't know what we could do about it. But I am empathetic, and respect your views.

The studies have been done. Other countries don't have the same dyslexia problems.

Stephanie Jackter - 12-18-2003 at 11:17 AM

Because everybody who tries can read in those countries. Understand, I am only speaking about the spelling of the language in a more phonic form. It wouldn't have anything to do with changing the content of the spoken or written language.

Sorry if I implied that you were elitist. That would be off base. Although there will be a segment of society that would object on that basis. What is more likely is that it is such a new concept and there are so many people that are just ignorant of the lifelong barriers to full societal participation that all of our exceptions to the rules that aren't really rules at all pose, it will take many people a while to understand that we could have a much more functional society with less people on welfare and in jail because of the handicaps in earning power and self esteem that can snowball into some very serious issues due to barriers that our written word puts up.

Standardization of our writtin language will happen eventually. But right now we're in the inital stage of change where the concept of why it needs to occur is just being understood.

The people who we normally depend on to initiate change would be the experts in the field. But in this case, who are they? Well, generally, linguists, people who, because they are good at decoding and are generally anal retentive sticklers about language usage, tend to be somewhat elitist in their choice of that profession to begin with.

Then we have the idea of change by popular demand, but with the stigma thrown on people who have difficulty with the written language and others who would be embarrassed about being percieved as even being associated with that group (that being how great the stigma is!), change will certainly come slow.

But that makes it no less necessary to advocate standardization of the language, only more difficult. - Stephanie

ferdic1 - 12-18-2003 at 12:05 PM

Stephanie, So long as you're only advocating standardization of spelling, I'm with you. But standardization of "language" is a thornier issue, because there are so many diverse flexibilities in English, where the same word may sit within different contexts and have different meanings. It's why our poetry is so rich, for one thing.

One of the more basic problems is different spellings of the same-sounding word that has different meanings. Bear and bare, breach and breech, plane and plain, for example. Even non-dyslexic people have continuing trouble with these, all their lives.

The irrationalities in the language may be a significant element in its success, because of richness and diversity they offer. How to preserve this track record while solving the problem of those who are shut out by language/comprehension difficulties would be a very worthy project, in my view.

Simplifying spelling and nothing else would probably be relatively easy, if enough people got behind it. I remember past efforts that bloomed and died for lack of common appeal. I forget which one it was (Time, I think), but a major magazine a few decades ago decided to lead the way by spelling such words as photograph "fotograf" but it didn't catch on.

:rolleyes:

At Fred's

Packoderm - 12-18-2003 at 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Stephanie, ?If you want to talk non-politically and only about Baja, GO TO FRED'S BOARD! They'll love to have you - and, just a hunch - you'll be bored out of your gordito in about a week.?

Man Stephanie, you were more than right. Well, not about them being delighted to have me. Check out my post at Fred?s on the thread regarding bringing a pet rat into Baja ? Not the one with my silly reply about needing a leash, but the one about importing parrots. I got scolded for straying off topic when I couldn?t for the life of me see how I could possibly be considered off topic. Man, they run a tight ship over there; you really have got to walk the line over there. Thank god for this place ? and thank you Doug.

Direct quote from Freds...

Casa P. D. y C. - 12-18-2003 at 11:02 PM

"This is getting to be off topic baja, email me if you want more info, but our bird is a U.S. documented/banded bird, with a sagging right wing. Would be hard to duplicate. "

Gosh I hate this, but where were YOU personally trashed for getting off topic? I certainly never meant to do such a thing. I stated that "I" was going to get off topic talking about my bird and my bird problems. When will people stop looking for issues and get back to the important parts of Baja life? I hang around all these boards as well as you do, and have for years. To take your statements and run off to another board looking for support is kind of cheesy. My opinion. My bird problem was not something that I thought should take up space at Fred's board. I welcomed you to email me for spacifics. Never did I think that you would run off to Nomad's looking for sympathy.
Shame on me.

Paulina <*)))><

Packoderm - 12-19-2003 at 05:08 AM

Ok. You're right Casa P. I was just surprised at how fast it I thought I was being considered off-topic. I certainly didn't think it was you who didn't want your bird seeming off topic. But you did offer to talk by email which was cool. I wasn't looking for support by running here; I was just showing Stephanie that I acknowledge that I shouldn't try to make it look like I would like Nomad's to be so stringently against off topic discussion. It?s something that?s been going on here for a day or so.

I really knew I that I should have acknowledged that you offered to talk via email and to state so by editing my post here and there, but I was too tired and I fell asleep. I especially didn?t like using the word ?scold.? Sorry about that. Live and learn, I guess. Are we getting off topic right now by discussing our getting off topic? Just kidding. However, I am now getting very curious about your parrot. Could we discuss your bird?s nationality status right here on this thread? I think it is relevant to Baja due to how it pertains to everybody who wants to bring pets into Baja. I once saw a movie starring Cheech Marin where the same thing happened to him that seems to have happened to your bird. Everything turned out ok for him; in fact, things turned out better than ok because he gets the girl at the end. I hope everything turns out ok for you and your bird.

Again, thanks to Doug for taking the time, and for also putting up with what it takes, to have such a nice discussion board.

bajalera - 12-19-2003 at 12:30 PM

Well, Packoderm, just look what that ill-advised vow of yours has led us to--picky spellers, tortilla diapers, hospital surgery, child-rearing philosophy, parrots . . .

And you intend to dump the TMSetc. line just when we who wanted to know but were afraid to ask finally got your clue? For shame!

Your thoughtful posts are IMNVHO one of the brighter spots of this board. I hope you'll reconsider that perfectly inappropriate vow, and carry on in your usual classy style.

- Lera

Packoderm - 12-19-2003 at 12:53 PM

Bajalera, hello. I?m going to lay low on the political content until Jan first; then I?ll be back in the thick of it.

There is one thing that has been on my mind about the political content on this board, and I am planning on typing up a brief sketch on it as I find time, and then I will mildly break my vow and post it here.

I know it might seem to have painted myself into a corner, but I really need to think about other things during my winter break away from school, such as watching after my young son who I intend to take to Baja sometime after Xmas. He is in my lap right now as I am typing this reply. He points to all of the letters from the text on the screen and says what letters they are out loud. Too cute.

In the meantime, I will continue to be a non-political wrecking-ball. All of your guy?s posts are the bright spots, really.

Oso - 12-19-2003 at 01:36 PM

Heard the one about the dyslexic, agnostic insomniac?

He lay awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Packoderm - 12-19-2003 at 01:40 PM

Franz Kafka?

Packoderm - 12-19-2003 at 08:25 PM

Oh, if THERE was a dog. I thought you meant that he wondered if HE was a dog. Now I get the joke. Duh.

Anonymous - 12-22-2003 at 06:08 PM

Pack, I hope you are a student and not a teacher.

Dyslexic, dog=god. You are killing me man.

Packoderm - 12-22-2003 at 08:00 PM

I got the dog vs. god part sure enough; it was his pondering if there was one vs. if he was one that got me. I just read through it too quickly, and as usual, I opened my trap too hastily as well. You can?t win them all.

So glad you have a child!

Sallysouth - 12-29-2003 at 01:07 AM

Packoderm, when you attacked those of us that share about our grandchidren and such,I was a bit concerned that you had a problem . Great to hear you telling us about your child sitting on your lap helping you type your message to the Nomad board! Get it yet? It's all about shareing our lives and experiences with our "Nomigos"! My Grandaughter, born in La Paz was a HUGE event in mine and many others lives, including several people in Baja,La Paz, Loreto and more. I urge you to think about your vows(what should be serious and binding), before you make them. Peace be with you and go with the flow! Sally

Packoderm - 12-29-2003 at 02:53 AM

Sallysouth, I have sent you a U2U. Please read it; I hope it helps to show that I didn't intend to offend anybody. thank you, Packoderm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. There are only two or three more days that my vow is valid. I think I got in more trouble trying to stay out of trouble. Take care, Packoderm.

[Edited on 11/21/2003 by Packoderm]

Skeet/Loreto - 12-29-2003 at 10:06 AM

Pack: Some of us are destined for trouble no matter what you do are say' It is like a beautifull woamen who dresses down but when she walks into the room you know you have been had.!!!!
The same with someone setting in a bar?at a c-cktail Party who starts spouting off about this and that and then there is the person who has actually been there that knows the Talker is BSin!!

I have been a rebel all of my years until a couple of months ago when I decided I was not going to be controveral anymore!
so what happens a good bunch of guys and gals start BSin on the Board and here we go again!!!

However it is the manner in which you present the Bait which catches the most Fish.
Controversy gets the most hits ,just like the TV News Shows. It is Human nature so just keep being Human!!
It will be interesting to see how long this type of News stays popular, Rush has been at it for 10 years. O"Rielly for about 5 years and Larry King about 20 years. It seems that we Humans get tired and bored at the same old thing every 10 years or so , then along comes ARnold and here we go again in a somewhat different direction.
So as to your Vow,Consider your child First in all matters and I am sure you will teach Him to respect the rights of all people and to defend his life in all instances.Skeet?Loreto

The Oath

academicanarchist - 12-29-2003 at 06:17 PM

Sr. Elefante. My philosophy on taking oaths is similar to my favorite marxist saying: I would not belong to a club that would have me as a member. And for Steph. Too many ulcers, which is indicative of too much stress and bad diets. I say we can enjoy ourselves on these forums.

Anonymous - 12-29-2003 at 06:29 PM

That reminds of the time a dyslexic Jehovah's Witness came to our back door!

:biggrin:

I like the VOw. And, I join in it

Fly Baja - 12-29-2003 at 07:22 PM

I hereby vow, from this point in time, to the first of the coming new year, to completely abstain from any mention: verbal, written, or implied, of any conversation, correspondence, or any other means of online communication that contains any amount of politicized content. I will not mention concepts, persons, or opinions of policy at the Baja Nomad website for the above determined amount of time, and at Baja.net. - I will never discuss politics at Baja.net at all; ever.

If it does not have to do with Baja on a tangible basis, it does not have anything to do with me. For instance, if somebody who lives somewhere else other than Baja announces on Baja Nomad that they have just had a newborn child, I will not reply in any manner, for this does not have anything directly to do with Baja, and somebody else who has just had a child might have the impression that I have the opinion that one birth might be more important than the other; that is political. I will be completely non-partial on absolutely all issues. Forgive me for my stoic position, but it is going to be nothing but all Baja all the time for me for obvious reasons.

Packoderm

Sallysouth - 1-3-2004 at 01:14 PM

Ok, I get it now! The written word is not to be taken litterally! Seriously, I understand now that you were trying to keep yourself out of trouble. To me, people born or living in Baja are important and are definatly a part of those of us who love Baja! (BTW, she lives in Loreto,not the US!) I won't bring it up again and if you want my post deleted, you need to tell me how to do so. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Peace be with you, Msal

Apoligizes to all.....

Debra - 1-3-2004 at 02:16 PM

I still don't "get it" about the Non-Baja V Baja problem.....it seems to me not a problem....just like the remote control (change the dang channel if you are not interested) not hard? only a click? So, Msal, Steph., Camote, (would like to hear more about Charlie) Pac, Mike and MA H. David K.,.....you go on about your kids, I personally, love to hear about them.

As I mentioned several months back...the battery thread bored me to death (wish I knew enough to understand what was beening shared, maybe I could have learned something) but, it was over my head.....

"The Vow" I think shouldn't be to not stray.....perhaps it should be to refrain from ugly, accusing, mean comments. Heated debate is OK....isn't that how we learn sometimes? I do,

My "Vow" I promise to remember that the printed word is sometimes not meant as it seems, I "vow" to remember that most people are good and not meaning to hurt my "feelers" I "vow" to remind myself that my opinion is just that, my opinion. And opinions are like (well, you know) everyone has one. JMHO.....Debra

I couldn't have said it better, Debra. - Stephanie

Stephanie Jackter - 1-3-2004 at 03:49 PM