BajaNomad

fishing line--shelf life

rockyinkc - 10-17-2006 at 12:02 PM

I have quite a bit of different fishing line that has been stored for up to 10yrs, in tuper-ware type containers-stored in a cool, dry area!
My question is--do you think it is still good--(looks good to me)--does it have a shelf life, if it has been out of the sun/weather??
What do ya all think??--thanks, Rocky

Pescador - 10-17-2006 at 12:29 PM

As long as the line was kept col, there should be no problem with degredation, but the best way to check is to tie on to something and check knot and breaking strength. I have had some old mono lines that looked good but as I checked strength, it was about 50% of normal.

BajaWarrior - 10-17-2006 at 12:40 PM

If they are large enough spools, I usually "lose" the first 20 or 30 feet, getting into the more "fresh" portion of the spool when it has been sitting around before loading it onto my reels.

Summanus - 10-17-2006 at 12:40 PM

Monofilament fishing line storage life is severly reduced by exposure to direct sunlight, so being yours was stored cool and in darkness, it is probably still good. It is certainly worth testing like Pescador says. I have used some stored line that was at least 10 years old...but then I am an expert fisherman who never loses a fish...sure.

If you are using the new super lines, like Spider Wire, New Zealand braided, etc. then you have no worries. These all very long-lasting.

Personally, I wish manufacturers would make a separate choice of fishing lines,plastic bags, etc. that would all disenegrate within 1-year maximum. Would save a bunch of manatees, seabirds, turtles, etc from harm.

I have used the Spider-wire from piers to catch most everything. You can 'feel' the slightest nibbles....

[Edited on 10-17-2006 by Summanus]

jimgrms - 10-17-2006 at 12:52 PM

I always flush my reels and line off after salt water fishing ,really don,t know if it does any good but i have reels that are 30 years old that work and the metal on the rods and reels are not rusted ,and it don't cost any thing , viva geezerhood ;););)

thebajarunner - 10-17-2006 at 01:23 PM

I always believe in giving the fish a fair chance, I say go for it with the old stuff.

Oh, and hunters are wimps unless they hunt animals that are equally well armed... I mean, what is fair about sneaking up on a poor animal, you got the gun and he gots nuthin'

I say, "arm all wild animals- level the playing field!"

Hook - 10-17-2006 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
I always believe in giving the fish a fair chance, I say go for it with the old stuff.

Oh, and hunters are wimps unless they hunt animals that are equally well armed... I mean, what is fair about sneaking up on a poor animal, you got the gun and he gots nuthin'

I can see it now.......fish baiting up hooks with Pacificos and Tecates. Overweight middle-aged men boiling on 'em.

Paulina - 10-17-2006 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

I can see it now.......fish baiting up hooks with Pacificos and Tecates. Overweight middle-aged men boiling on 'em.

I can see it now....:lol::lol::lol:

Cypress - 10-17-2006 at 01:45 PM

Old line? :rolleyes: Why take the chance? Good line isn't cheap. You're gonna go on a major fishing trip and worry if your line is rotten?:?::O Get some new line.;)

pargo - 10-17-2006 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Old line? :rolleyes: Why take the chance? Good line isn't cheap. You're gonna go on a major fishing trip and worry if your line is rotten?:?::O Get some new line.;)

Ditto on that Cyps' and you can still give fish a fightin' chance by practicing a little "CPR":D

many thanks

rockyinkc - 10-17-2006 at 02:28 PM

many thanks on the feedback--R

Hook!!! You got it!!!

thebajarunner - 10-17-2006 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

You have captured my sentiments quite precisely (and I enjoy a little Bahia de LA fishing, on occasion)

As to hunting, well, the Wall Street Journal once referred to moose hunting as "the sporting equivalent of shooting a Budweiser truck"
:lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech - 10-17-2006 at 04:26 PM

If you are serious fisherman buy new line every year.:light:

give the old line to some one that is not a good Friend:lol:

[Edited on 10-17-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Osprey - 10-18-2006 at 06:13 AM

I use old, weak line to catch old, weak fish. I practice selective harvesting -- culling to conserve the balance of nature.

Bruce R Leech - 10-18-2006 at 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I use old, weak line to catch old, weak fish. I practice selective harvesting -- culling to conserve the balance of nature.

now that is a good idea. geezer fish:lol: this should be on the other thread.

Don Alley - 10-18-2006 at 09:08 AM

I buy line in large spools, and often use short "topshots" of monofilament at the end of spectra braid. So I may have many years' supply of mono in some sizes.

I change the topshots frequently; the nicks and stretching from hooking the bottom rocks is hard on line. As long as the line is stored out of the sunlight it should be good for years, and I've had little problem with breaking line.

Then again, if I hooked more fish I maight have more problems.:lol:

Al G - 10-18-2006 at 09:17 AM

I am with Don..I can't catch fish bigger then my fry pan so old is good. Maybe If I had a Top Shot, I could attract something.

Al G - 10-18-2006 at 09:19 AM

OK it did not make any sence to me either..:lol::cool:

vgabndo - 10-19-2006 at 02:35 PM

Mr. Alley:

About Spectra Braid. I recently bought a Shimano rod and reel combo. (Tekota 700) The dealer loaded the reel with 50 pound line that I never saw the spool, and may if I remember correctly have been Spectra. The line diameter is about the same as 20 lb. mono, but everybody warned me not to EVER wrap it around my finger, or around my hand. I understand why, but I'm not a big time fisherman so I wonder how many kinds of this line are out there or if there is a way to tell if it is Spectra. Also it is supposed to be "invisible" how important is a mono top shot?

Cypress - 10-19-2006 at 02:44 PM

It's hard to tie a knot with that "invisible" line.:tumble:

Don Alley - 10-19-2006 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Mr. Alley:

About Spectra Braid. I recently bought a Shimano rod and reel combo. (Tekota 700) The dealer loaded the reel with 50 pound line that I never saw the spool, and may if I remember correctly have been Spectra. The line diameter is about the same as 20 lb. mono, but everybody warned me not to EVER wrap it around my finger, or around my hand. I understand why, but I'm not a big time fisherman so I wonder how many kinds of this line are out there or if there is a way to tell if it is Spectra. Also it is supposed to be "invisible" how important is a mono top shot?

I often use spectra braid; it is packaged under many brand names. If you have 50lb line the size of 20lb you have some brand of spectra.

IMO, it's not the best stuff to use unless you're an experienced fisherman. It can cut you up; keep your hands off it. Also be careful thumbing the spool. It can blister or take off skin quickly.

Most of the time it is used as backing to increase line capacity. Monofilament line is attached, usually enough so that unless you hook a really big one you never see or handle the spectra backing. That is the best way to use it unless you're fairly experienced.

On some of my heavier bottom fishing rigs I use a short length of mono, maybe 15-20 feet long, fastened to the spectra. These "topshots" are easy to replace with a loop to loop connection, and as spectra has little stretch, such a rig does not allow much stretch and is very good at setting hooks and feeling what a bait is doing.

Some people fish with just spectra. I'm experimenting at times with that.

The latest rage is Japanese or "butterfly" jigging using spectra, a short topshot of "invisible" flourocarbon line and imported jigs, sometimes on conventional rods but often on spinning rods with $800 spinning reels.

Flourocarbon, the so-called "invisible" line, is a line with refraction properties close to those of water. So it's hard to see. It's expensive, so it's used only for leaders or sometimes short topshots. There have been many discussions on the fishing boards about how effective it is; some swear by it, others say it's not worth the expense or the extra knot (and any extra knot is an extra risk as line usually breaks at a knot).

I use flourocarbon frequently for two things: Fishing for yellowtail near bottom structure, and as a leader for light tackle dorado and billfish fishing. Flourocarbon is more abrasion resistant than plain mono, better for surviving brushes with rocks and sailfish bills.

vgabndo - 10-19-2006 at 04:35 PM

Excellent information, thanks. I am not entirely a tyro, having been fishing the past dozen years on the SOC out of San Nicolas. I'm certainly not as "addicted" as some, and I know I have a lot to learn. I've had notoriously bad luck "feeling" the yellows in deep water off Ildifonso, and my hope was that the Spectra would get me pumping before I was already cut off!

I was also hoping that this new rig would let me cast a Tady closer to a boil when the Jureles were on the surface.

We're on the road Nov. 15th.:yes:

Al G - 10-19-2006 at 05:12 PM

This reminds me of the last time rock fishing. I ended up with a real loaded with 50# Stren super braid. not sure, but maybe 10# diameter. Wanted to use that reel so took off the 80# red fluorocarbon top shot and tied a hook on. When I cast the sardine out, the sucker would come screaming back up and jump about 4' out of the water and just swim back to the boat...Had to put weight on to drag his tail down to the fish.
I know you think I'm kidding, but I am not. It is real lite line.

Don Alley - 10-19-2006 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Excellent information, thanks. I am not entirely a tyro, having been fishing the past dozen years on the SOC out of San Nicolas. I'm certainly not as "addicted" as some, and I know I have a lot to learn. I've had notoriously bad luck "feeling" the yellows in deep water off Ildifonso, and my hope was that the Spectra would get me pumping before I was already cut off!

I was also hoping that this new rig would let me cast a Tady closer to a boil when the Jureles were on the surface.

We're on the road Nov. 15th.:yes:

Yeah, I've fished for them off Ildefonso, embarking from here in Loreto. They do like to get in the rocks. I think the spectra helps, but I'm always trying stuff. But I still prefer monofilament for casting surface lures.

Izorline markets a bandage that helps protect the fingers from line burns from the spectra; I always carry some.

We just got back here, and as usual took I-5 down. Mt. Shasta, what a place.