BajaNomad

Surf Fishing Baja with RV

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 02:51 AM

We have a 24' motor home, 30amp, fsc. We will be down the Baja Dec - Feb. We can boondock but would prefer electricity and water and proximity to the beach where we can put up a lawn chair, cast bait to the surf, put the rods in a sandspike, sip a cold drink with an umbrella and catch a fish for dinner. WiFi would be a bonus.:light:

We are interested in both surf fishing from shore and guided in boat. We are looking for RV parks close to fishing and guiding.

We would also like to occasionally hire guides to take us out for some serious fishing.

My wife and I both love to fish. We either eat or release what we cath, unless there are others to share the catch with.

We will no doubt bring a couple of 10' medium weight surf rods with spinning reels/sand spikes and a couple of lighter rods for casting Krockadiles and other spoons from shore. I would imagine 15 lb line on the surf rods and 6 - 10 on the lighter rods.

It has been thirty years since I was last down the Baja. It was the spring of the first year that the new road was paved and the runoff in the vados had cleared away pavement and we ended up fording many a stream to get to our destination. We carried a 12' boat to Bahia Conception.

We had a blast fishing that wonderful bay, catching many species of fish and buying fresh gigante shrimp off the trawlers at anchor off the bay. I recall raking in handfulls of clams in the sand between the bay and lagoon. The night skies filled from horizon to horizon with stars close enough to touch them. The red tide created phosporescent sand that we threw in the air like sparklers and the small fish darted away from our green foot steps like small rockets away from the beach. The shrimp sauteed with roasted almond slices and sherry, heaven! Pacificos by the case and cheaper than soda pop. La Vida! :bounce:

I am older now and with a gimp leg am more sedentary. I have some mobility issues, walk slowly and with a cane. I am good for about a block and then need to sit. :no:

I would imagine we will be in Ensenada Mid Dec through Jan 3 and then cross the Peninsula.

I would appreciate any info, tips and feedback you might be able to provide for us. We are flexible and have a couple of months to wander the Baja. I hope we can catch the wales at Scanlons Lagoon.

Thanks for your help and info. :yes:

Iflyfish

Bruce R Leech - 10-18-2006 at 05:40 AM

Welcome Iflyfish I think that if you boon dock it in Baja you will have more fun or maybe do a combination of campgrounds and boon docks.

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 10:19 AM

Thanks Bruce,

This is a great site!

We had planned on doing both boondocking and staying in campgrounds. We have just returned from BC where we spent a month flyfishing for Kamloops trout on a fly. We boondocked and stayed at Resorts.

We can comfortably stay a few days boondocking and then it is nice to hook up to power, shower and recharge batteries etc.

I wonder if you or anyone else on this list might have some specific recommendations as to places to boondock where we can do some surf fishing and also some RV Parks close to the beach/surf fishing/guides for paid fishing trips?

Thanks again Bruce.

Iflyfish

Lee - 10-18-2006 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
We have a 24' motor home, 30amp, fsc. We will be down the Baja Dec - Feb. We can boondock but would prefer electricity and water and proximity to the beach where we can put up a lawn chair, cast bait to the surf, put the rods in a sandspike, sip a cold drink with an umbrella and catch a fish for dinner. WiFi would be a bonus.:light:

We are interested in both surf fishing from shore and guided in boat. We are looking for RV parks close to fishing and guiding.

Try Old Mill RV Park - Location: Follow signs at 2.5 miles south of the military camp south of San Quintin on a dirt road going west 3.5 miles to the bay. Haven't fished there but you should be able to rent a boat. Hook up, etc.

What you're describing exists but you have to research for RV parks that have proximity to fishing.

Also, there is West coast and East coast camping. And how far off the road you want to get. I think proximity to fishing will mean boondocking.

Free advice on traveling down that highway: go slow, take your time, don't be in a hurry. Semi's WILL come up fast behind you. When it looks like traffic is clear for them to pass, put on your left turn signal, slow down, and let them pass. Cars too. You probably know this.

Relax, have fun. Welcome back.

:cool:

Al G - 10-18-2006 at 10:41 AM

I am not an expert on Ensenada, but it would not be My first stop. If it was I would not devote more then 1-2 days.
San Quinitin, would be a great stop. If you are mostly about fishing and beach, Mulege area would be the second. After that there are many, many great places. Maybe I will see you as I am traveling by the same mode and desires.

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 11:09 AM

Thanks Lee for the info, advice and the welcome back.

Two years ago we rented a car in the Yucatan and drove for a couple of weeks, felt great to be back on the road in Mexico. It all came back, the left turn signal etc. I like driving in Mexico, call me crazy, but I like being part of the action in this way.

How are the roads down the Baja? I know a couple of bad hurricanes hit there.

I am now in the slow lane and like it.

Both you and Al G came up with San Quinitin and that is encouraging. We will certainly add that to our itinary.

We are staying in Ensenada for Christmas so we can meet with our daughter who is in the Peace Corps in the Grenadines. She is in need of R and R and Ensenada will provide her with clean room, bath, shower, good food and EASE. After the holidays we will begin our fishing trip in earnest.

Thanks again.

Anyone else who has some ideas and would be willing to share would be appreciated.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 11:16 AM

Thanks Al G.

The stop in Ensenada is for family purposes described in my reply to Lee.

When the holidays are over, we will head to the beach, lawn chair, pina colada, tiny umprella in the drink, surf fishing and noodling around.

I hope we do run into you. It is always a pleasure to meet new people on the road. That is part of the adventure.

I recall hiring a panga in Santa Rosalia on our first trip there when held captive in the fenced area at the ferry terminal. It took three days to get the ferry and a blond with a bottle of Chivas beat us out on the second day. It was then I spotted the two guys with an oar on their shoulder carrying a grouper, tail dragging, accross the parkiing lot. I hired them to take us out fishing for yellow tail, which we caught in abundance. They were amused with our fishing rods and did much better handlining.

What do you think of the gear I described? We are short of space and I want to both surf fish with bait and casts lures to the surf.

Thanks again Al.

Iflyfish

Hook - 10-18-2006 at 11:20 AM

Unfortunately, your time period is not really the best for Baja surf fishing, except maybe the corridor from SJdelC to Todos Santos.

But for a chance at some surf perch fishing and maybe some halibut, I'd hit Gyspy's Beach Camp south of San Quintin, El Pabellon also so. of SQ, maybe La Bocana at El Rosario IF YOU DRIVE CAREFULLY AND AVOID THE SOFT SAND. Doubt there will be any sand crabs in the surf at that time but bring some Berkeley Gulp! baits down (I like the sandworms and the crab imos in the copper penny color). You can cut both of them up and just use pieces.

Let's see if you get some experts on the central pacific side as I am not familiar with that area as much, especially the accessibility by RV.

Oh yeah, on your equipment, you should be fine but I never really use anything over 12 lb and mostly 6 lb main line if fishing for perch, corbs, etc. I also bring down fluorocarbon leader in 4-8 lbs. I NEVER use a sand spike....I prefer walking and fishing with artificials and/or sand crabs. Many times you gotta locate the fish rather than hope they come to you. Your mobility may not allow this.

I should add that the first two places have no hookup but they do have water, dump and shower complex. The last is true boondocking.
[Edited on 10-18-2006 by Hook]

Bajamatic - 10-18-2006 at 11:27 AM

Mag Bay is reported to have really great fly fishing. Not sure where you would hook-up, and I think you'd need to be on the water, but I've heard is really fun "on the fly".

Von - 10-18-2006 at 11:44 AM

I would suggest going to Bahia De los Angeles 370 miles south of the

border, Camp Daggetts has all the hook ups the local magic.....

Ruben Daggett, how his Great grandfather jumped ship from Europe and found the

flores gold mine....Ruben knows all the spots for fishing, the islands of the

coast of BOLA is what makes this place ooooooozzz

and aaaaazzzz lots of positive orah..

ps. tell him Armando says hi:D:D:D

Diver - 10-18-2006 at 11:58 AM

Daggett's has hook-ups on the beach ? I must have missed them !

A good lay-over is Manfred's in Cuidad Constitution. We always stop there for good water, sewer hook-ups and power, if needed. Also great hot clean showers and baths and good security. The pool may even be working !We have solar so don;t really need the power. You can also go north to Puerto Lopez Mateo for whale watching and camp by the water just south of the launch.

When in Mulege, you MUST try the beaches at conception. And you MUST go to Mulege, it's a great town. The fishing isn't that good unless you have a boat or go north of town but you can pull into places in town for services and then boondock on some of the most beautiful and friendly beaches in the world.

San Quinton is a good choice although hook-ups are hard to find. If you have others joining you, the Old Mill may be a good choice. They have fair RV parking with hook-ups, adjacent hotel rooms and fishing charters. Try eating at Le Jardin down the street.

Some hook-ups on the water available in La Ventana and the town is great.
45 minutes south of La Paz and very gringo safe with good fishing.

There are so many other places.........I'll let other's tell you their favorites.

shari - 10-18-2006 at 04:38 PM

Boondocking is our specialty, you can come to Asuncion and park your rig here with us and you can fish, and I'm famous for my unique blender drinks! You can plug in and have water here too and relax, baja style but without the tourist trappings...check out my trailer trash post...

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 06:43 PM

Thanks Hook, great info!

I appreciate the specifics including the bait. I raise on to you. Thanks, your efforts are appreciated.

We are getting really excited as we learn more about what is happening down there and some options of where to stay and where to fish.

The season is not the best, but the best day fishing is better than the best day not fishing or something like that ad infinitum. I was once asked if I used the Solunar tables, I said that I fished when I could and appreciated it when the Solunar tables concurred.

My daughter got a Chiwawa, you know little Mexican dog, she asked me how I liked Chiwawas and I said "with Chipotle Sauce". I am like that.

I just feel pleased to be where I can put a line in the water and if nature provides a suitable finned companion in the pursuit, I am pleased.

Thanks again,

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 06:47 PM

Thanks Bajamatic

Flyfishing any place is always fun if one can get the things to land and then stick to the line!

I am not certain I will bring the fly rods along. Space is limited and I think I will stick to bait and spoons. If I can get that sorted out then I might bring a fly rod next time. There is nothing finer than catching a feisty fish on a fly.

Thanks for the info. I am still considering this. My fly fishing buddies are incredulous that I would go without a fly rod. Shame may finally triumph, but I dout it.

I would need to learn to tie some new patterns for this sort of fiishing, buy new materials, hmmmmm, this is sounding better and better.

Thanks again,

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 06:55 PM

Hola Von,

I have never been to Bahia de Los Angeles though once my twin brother and I went to Gonzaga bay and met these wonderful people living on the beach with their sand spikes for wash water and the truck arriving once a week with fifty gallon jugs of potable water. They called us the Volvo Brothers.

They were all off the grid on 12 volt. Nice scene there. Some folks helped us tow our volvo wagon out of a swollen vado and filled the engine with wd40. Saved our young asses. I was reading off the grid magazines at the time and sent them a copy once. They replied that I had ruined their lives. I was shocked and then read that they had talked themselves into buying a twelve volt blender to mix drinks on their boat to exchange with the local fishermen for fresh fish! Pina Colada's anyone for a good Yellowtail?

Nasty Baja 500 washboard, tooth loosening road. Really BAD. Great people and wonderful memories.

If I get there I will certainly remember you to him.

Thanks again,

Ilfyfish

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 07:03 PM

Thanks Diver. I really appreciate the specifics. These sound like great options. I always feel more comfortable with some idea of options that are available. These are great ideas. I appreciate your experience.

I recall the prison at Mulege and recall purchasing a hand woven horse hair hat band made by one of the prisoners there. It felt like an oasis at the time. I look forward to seeing it again. Thanks also for the suggestions for places to eat. Restaurants are always in flux so it is good to hear suggestions for good local fare.

I recall eating at some restaurants that were simply plywood sheets that housed some of the best lobster cooks I have ever ran into. I used to have a machaca made with Lobster for breakfast and it cost next to nothing. Some of these places are by now no doubt regular brick and mortor establishments. It will be fun to explore the quisine of Baja. I loved it as a young man.

Thanks again.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 10-18-2006 at 07:13 PM

Shari, did you live and go to Mexico??!!

We will be there. What a wonderful place you have. We would not miss your place for anything.

With water and electricity we are in heaven.

Count us in!

I will contact you before we come and see if there are things you might want us to bring down there from el norte.

This sounds perfect for us.

Thanks,

Iflyfish