BajaNomad

FORGET THE SHARKS...WACHOUT FOR STINGRAYS!!!

aha baja - 10-19-2006 at 07:30 AM

We all know about the tragic loss of Steve Irwin 6 weeks ago.Today an 81 year old man was in his boat in Florida when a 3' sting ray leaped into his boat and stabbed him in the chest! News people said that part of the ONE FOOT LONG barb may have damaged his heart and lungs (no s-it!) In water, out of water ....jeez louise man! these things have got some bad ass weapons and know how to use them.:wow:

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]

Taco de Baja - 10-19-2006 at 07:50 AM

A little biggger than 3 feet... Must have been very scary with that thing flapping around the boat. Maybe he jumped on it trying to protect the others in the boat?
Quote:
LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Fla. — A Lighthouse Point man is in critical condition this morning, a day after authorities say a stingray jumped onto his boat and stabbed him in the chest, leaving a foot-long barb stuck in him.

Eighty-one-year-old James Bertakis was boating with his grown granddaughter and her friend yesterday afternoon when the rare attack occurred.

Surgeons were able to remove some of the barb, but weren't able to locate the rest and fear it may have migrated.

Firefighters say the roughly five-foot wide, 30 pound stingray :o died on the boat.

Fox News

Osprey - 10-19-2006 at 08:12 AM

Perhaps some of you have fed the big 70 pound rays in the Caymans. I took that little side trip once while on a cruise. it was great fun. The creatures were so docile that the excursion operators allowed handling by disadvantaged/challenged youngsters. I did notice that the Cayman natives were careful how they handled the rays so as not to accidentally come in contact with the big boney stingers. Our local doctors give tetanus shots to every sting victim here -- the stinger leaves a sheath, a thin covering in the wound that does the damage to tissue and organs.

Cypress - 10-19-2006 at 09:22 AM

Jumped on the boat?:?:Stingrays jump?

Hook - 10-19-2006 at 11:34 AM

I couldn't believe that Fox News Channel strung this out as "BREAKING NEWS" for AT LEAST 10 minutes this morning. Reporter on the scene, the whole nine yards.......

I kept tuning back to see how long they would milk this "important" story...........guess it was a light pro-Administration news morning.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-19-2006 at 11:59 AM

On a Dark Morning, so many years ago, heading North out of Loreto for a Days Fishing with Allello Murillo{Brother to Alvaro Murillo} it was the time of the year when the small Mantas were on Top of the Water.
Allello was staning in his usual Position, guiding the Panga with his left Knee, peering ahead to see as much as he could see in the Dark, when all of a Sudden a Manta, judged later to be about 30 Lbs. Crashed into his Shoulder Knocking him Clear out of the Panga into the Dark Water!!
We brought the Panga around and thru the St.Emos Fire we were able to Find Allello and return him Wet and dripping into the Panga to contuine to the fishing Grounds.

Skeet/Loreto

BajaWarrior - 10-19-2006 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

I've seen Manta Rays jump, you can hear them from shore flopping around.

Cypress - 10-19-2006 at 02:01 PM

Saw a picture of the "stingray" on TV, the ray was dark with light spots. Did not look like any stingray I ever saw. :O It was some sort of ray.

pargo - 10-20-2006 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

I've seen Manta Rays jump, you can hear them from shore flopping around.

Oh yeah, stingrays jump! as warrior points out, you can hear them belly flop a mile away...quite spectacular

daveB - 10-20-2006 at 11:09 AM

With all the focus on "death by Sting Ray" by media, where does one find out what species are involved? These are not the animals to be seen on the sandy shorelines, often covered by sand, that can whack you on the foot.

As Cypress noted, the latest was dark with white spots. Perhaps a type of spotted eagle ray, although they are much lighter, and brown when in the water.

Where is our local Nomad expert. senor Bondy?

Need to know this, we'll be swimming and watching eagle rays next month!

aha baja - 10-20-2006 at 11:14 AM

I believe I heard that it was an Eagle ray on the news.

daveB - 10-20-2006 at 01:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, Aha. They're beautiful to watch while snorkling. Won't be diving after them.