BajaNomad

Fish limits/seasons

Cypress - 10-24-2006 at 08:46 AM

The Feds. intend to lower the catch limit of red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico to 2/day.:o:wow:Evidently the snapper are being caught before they reach mature breeding size. :no:In many area's it's at least a 20 mile one-way run to snapper producing fishing grounds.:no: Expect a lot of used 4/0 Penns will be on the market. Question? When's the last time the catch limits were changed in The Sea Of Cortez?:?

Osprey - 10-24-2006 at 09:59 AM

I think 1974. The market in Baja Sur in restaurants is for Entero, the whole fish so all our fishermen are after very small snapper. Our local pangeros on a good day can make $300 dollars each if they get into really small fish. Somebody posted that it may not hurt the fishery but my thinking is it sure can't help it.

Cypress - 10-24-2006 at 10:20 AM

Osprey, Thanks. :bounce:So, the commercial guys are going for the small snapper and the tourists, as usual, are going for the big ones. :light: The big one's are the breeders.:no::o

Hook - 10-24-2006 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Osprey, Thanks. :bounce:So, the commercial guys are going for the small snapper and the tourists, as usual, are going for the big ones. :light: The big one's are the breeders.:no::o

yeah, but the small ones never get to be the big ones and breed even once. At least the larger units have probably had a chance to propagate once.

Up here in SoCal, some of us who still keep and eat calico bass (aka kelp bass) use a self imposed slot limit. The minimum size is 12 inches. I personally dont keep anything over 16 inches with the idea that the big breeders should also be returned, along with the smaller units.

Keeping and eating calicos is a little bit controversial up here. I still practice it but many have chosen not to. Next to halibut, I think they are the best eating fish in our inshore waters. I like em better than WSB.

Cypress - 10-24-2006 at 10:51 AM

Hook, Slot limits work.:bounce:

yellowtail limits

Skipjack Joe - 10-24-2006 at 05:16 PM

Do you remember the yellowtail bite in BOLA this spring?

When I showed up at what seemed like the end of the bite I met a guy at Daggetts who had just come in with 27 yellowtail caught off Isla Smith. He said he was done by 10AM. I wondered how he knew when he was done. He had been there a week and had caught about 30 every day. He would have one on before the jig hit bottom.

I asked him if he knew there was a limit here. He replied that nobody cared here in BOLA. Nothing is going to waste, he told me. We'll have a big barbeque back home and all the neighbors will join in.

Cypress - 10-24-2006 at 05:42 PM

Skipjack, It's people like the BBQ guy that give sports/recreational fisherman a bad name.:no::mad: I'd rather see a commercial guy wrap a school up with a net than some greedy "sports?" fisherman take 'em and give 'em away. It shows disrespect for the law, the fish and other fishermen as well.:no:

chino - 10-24-2006 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Skipjack, It's people like the BBQ guy that give sports/recreational fisherman a bad name.:no::mad: I'd rather see a commercial guy wrap a school up with a net than some greedy "sports?" fisherman take 'em and give 'em away. It shows disrespect for the law, the fish and other fishermen as well.:no:

Quite often folks want to bring something back to show friends and family, I think no matter how you prep and store, nothing beats fresh fish, my thoughts only.