BajaNomad

Guide Coop?

Cypress - 10-25-2006 at 11:14 AM

Any prospect for guides being organized into a coop?:?: Sort of a central booking agency.:light: Would be better than the short-term commercial, free-lance guys that "get it while they can", here today and gone tomorrow.:no:

Don Alley - 10-25-2006 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Any prospect for guides being organized into a coop?:?: Sort of a central booking agency.:light: Would be better than the short-term commercial, free-lance guys that "get it while they can", here today and gone tomorrow.:no:

Where?

Loreto seems to be doing pretty well with a coop, at least I think it's a coop. They have a small office with a window on the marina, and they've been keeping good hours. They were open when I was down there just after 6 am a few days ago. They have a list of captains they book for fishing and Coronado Island trips, and supply daily Marine Park permits. They are also selling lots of drinks and snacks (priced slightly above normal) so they are probably making enough with that to keep the office going, so they don't have to raise trip prices to pay for the office and office help.

There have been coops at Zihuatenejo too, but I don't know how well they've thrived.

It's hard to beat the professional outfitter/guide services. They may charge more to cover expenses and make it worth their while, but they can do a better job of marketing to keep the captains working. Loreto may have enough business for both.

Bajamatic - 10-25-2006 at 12:14 PM

Local 24N - Baja Fishing Guide's Brotherhood:?:

Cypress - 10-25-2006 at 12:38 PM

Just a thought?:yes: