BajaNomad

The Wine Thread

JESSE - 10-25-2006 at 04:41 PM

I love wine and sometimes its hard to find good bargains here in Baja. So i decided to open this thread in order to post the names of good wines that are available in our state. It doesn't matter where it is from, or how much its worth, the only requirement is that its good, and not just "personally i like it buts its really only good for cooking" good, but good enough that novices and wine lovers can appreciate it.

Heres two that i tried recently that i felt where excelent for their price and quality:

2003 Ventisquero Grey Cabernet Sauvignon

Gold Medal 2006 Concours Mondial Bruxelles
Gold Medal 2006 International Wine Challenge
Silver at Japan Wine Challenge
Gold 2006 Wines of Chile Awards

Price: 220 pesos

Here in La Paz you can find it at La Cava del Patron, and you can find it in Cabo at La Europea.

JESSE - 10-25-2006 at 04:46 PM

2004 Ventisquero Reserva Merlot

Gold Medal 2006 International Wine Challenge
Silver 2006 Japan Wine Challenge
Gold Medal 2006 Concours Mondial Bruxelles

Price: 110 pesos

Where: At cava patron or la europea

Bajamatic - 10-25-2006 at 04:49 PM

Also - can we keep this thread updated with good places to buy wines? I'd love to know where to grab a few of these bottles in ensenada for example....

JESSE - 10-25-2006 at 04:51 PM

Concha y Toro TRIO

This wine hasnt won any awards, but i guarantee you will like it. Its well balanced, great aromas, wonderful taste since its made from 3 grapes. Merlot, Carmenere, and Cabernet Franc.
Vey smooth and relaxing.

Price: 99 pesos

Where: At any Soriana, City Club, Calimax, or Gigante

JESSE - 10-25-2006 at 04:56 PM

In Ensenada theres a guy who distributes RIEDEL stemware right in front of Hussongs cantina. He has a nice little wine store there as well.

In Tijuana try www.gsalinasvinos.com, he has a lot of Baja wine and plenty of great imports.

In Tijuana its also worth checking out La Palma vinos y licores, located right behind Gigante zona rio.

Paula - 10-25-2006 at 05:12 PM

Jesse,

Do you like white wines too? I hear that Mexico doesn't do well with them. Is this true? There are good South American whites here, but I'd like to try some local ones.

spelling error edited

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by Paula]

JESSE - 10-25-2006 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Jesse,

Do you like white wines too? I hear that Mexico doesn't do well with them. Is this true? There are good South American whites here, but I'd like to try some local ones.

spelling error edited

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by Paula]

Theres some very good Mexican white wines that you should try. Check out Piedra del Sol by Casa de Piedra, and Viña Kristel by Monte Xanic. Cetto also makes a Chardonnay reserve thats decent. Theres a French wine that i have seen in several places in Baja, the name is Vignoble St Georges, its a chardonnay and its pleasant for everyday.

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by JESSE]

Paula - 10-25-2006 at 05:23 PM

Thanks, Jesse, guess I'd better go shopping!

capt. mike - 10-26-2006 at 04:50 AM

heck with a thread..............this forum needs a seperate section on WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thx Jesse, keep the "grape" spirit alive.

wine is life.

Mexitron - 10-26-2006 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info Jesse--around Xmas I think I'll swing down to the GV and do some tasting...too bad the bottle limit is so low coming back--seems like Mexican alchohol is about the same price as American now so what I assume to be a US liquor lobby protection act doesn't really make sense any more...

Wine Tasting in Rosarito

Gypsy Jan - 10-26-2006 at 03:25 PM

There are two recently opened winetasting establishments in Rosarito.

One is in mid-town, near and on the same (east) side of the street as the Waldo's $1 store.

The other is south of town, on the free road and across the street from Fox Studios (La Vid).

I haven't tried either one, but when I saw them, I thought, "Well, at least the Starbucks never opened."

Kidding! I love Baja wines, to inform those who don't know me, so it will be interesting to see if these places survive.

Iflyfish - 10-26-2006 at 11:21 PM

How much wine am I allowed to bring into Mexico with me? I plan to stay two to three months.

Iflyfish

JESSE - 10-27-2006 at 09:16 AM

I just learned Sto Tomas Barbera 2003 just got a silver medal at the 2006 Concours Mondial Bruxelles. And the 2003 Merlot from Sto Tomas also got a silver medal at the prestigious awards.

I really recommend you try the Barbera.

[Edited on 10-27-2006 by JESSE]

JESSE - 10-27-2006 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
How much wine am I allowed to bring into Mexico with me? I plan to stay two to three months.

Iflyfish

As much as the inspectors don't notice;D

Dave - 10-27-2006 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish

Iflyfish

3 liters per person (over 18) duty free. More, and you pay duties.

capt. mike - 10-27-2006 at 12:01 PM

Dave, do you know which border stations have the capabilities to process duty charges for cases of wine? tecate told me they weren't set up for it.

How Much?

Dave - 10-27-2006 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Dave, do you know which border stations have the capabilities to process duty charges for cases of wine? tecate told me they weren't set up for it.

If you have less than $1000 you should be able to use Tecate or SY. Supposed to go to Otay if more BUT:

Otay plays it by the book, (and more). If I were you, I would use SY and make your valuation something you were comfortable with.

With the proper receipts, of course. ;)

Just don't get too greedy or load up with tons of cases. Pull into declare and act like you know what you're doing. If you don't like what goes down then tell them you'll just go back to the States.

<You got an FM3, right? It makes the process a whole lot easier.>

[Edited on 10-28-2006 by Dave]

capt. mike - 10-28-2006 at 06:40 AM

no - thx Dave, but what i meant was "bringing it back from mexico".......sorry - a J.J. Cale music moment.....:coolup:.....anyway , yeah - so i stopped at tecate re entering USA after a great weekend in Guadalupe via auto. and i said/asked the customs guy if i had more than the 1 L. PP qty could i simply pay the duty as i didn't care ABOUT THE extra cost. that's when he said no, he wasn't set up there to process duties and collect fees.

so...............where/how do i do that??

and does that duty free shop next to the TJ entry have baja wines cheap??

Dave - 10-29-2006 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
what i meant was "bringing it back from mexico".......

Why you wanna do that? You can buy it as cheap in the States... Even after duties and taxes. Shop around. Find a wine broker that specializes in Baja wines. He'll make you a deal.

If you do buy in Mexico know that unless you don't live in a border state you're gonna have to pay a broker, anyways.

capt. mike - 10-30-2006 at 04:44 AM

got it, thx Dave.

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 08:52 PM

Heres another winner

Caliterra reserva Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Price: 95 pesos

Where: This one is widely available in most large supermarkets

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by JESSE]

bajaguy - 10-31-2006 at 08:55 PM

Will they have the Trio in the Ensenada area???

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 08:57 PM

Look for it at Calimax or Gigante, even Soriana might have it.

Gato Negro

bajaguy - 10-31-2006 at 09:00 PM

A great Chilean wine is Gato Negro, Cab-Merlot blend, however have only been able to find it at certain Trader Joe's stores

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
A great Chilean wine is Gato Negro, Cab-Merlot blend, however have only been able to find it at certain Trader Joe's stores

Here in La Paz they have it in CCC.

bajaguy - 10-31-2006 at 09:44 PM

Jesse....how would you compare the Gato Negro Cab-Merlot blend with the Treo????

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Jesse....how would you compare the Gato Negro Cab-Merlot blend with the Treo????

Gato Negro is a good everyday wine, but TRIO is special. I have yet to find a 99 peso wine that even comes close to TRIO. The flavors, the aromas, and the smooth tannins that you get with TRIO are more common in wine costing twice that much.

If you try it, remember theres two versions. The Merlot, Carmenere, and Cabernet Sauvignon blend (my favorite). And the Cabernet, Shiraz, Cabernet Franc.

"When Trio’s individual components are tasted, their distinct characteristics can be appreciated. But when they are blended, a new element is born, something appears that was not present in the three previous tastings. That is the magic of wine, it is not a mathematical formula. This new element is the result of wine’s magic qualities”

-Wine Spectator awarded 90 and 91 points -

bajaguy - 11-1-2006 at 07:35 AM

Thanks....I'm going for the Merlot blend:bounce::bounce::P

Mexitron - 11-1-2006 at 08:07 AM

Has there ever been a Nomads wine tasting/GV tour? I vaguely recall some talk of it awhile back.

2001 Merryvale Starmont Cabernet Sauvignon

JESSE - 2-22-2007 at 01:27 AM

I usually keep away from most american Cabernets because the good stuff is usually very expensive. Or at least, its expensive here in Baja. But this Cabernet is not too expensive and has become a personal favorite with steaks and lamb. This wine is medium bodied, fruity, with wonderful tanins that play in your mouth. You can find it in Cabo or La Paz and it will run you about 400 pesos, not expensive if you consider that the quality of this wine is similar to wines that cost up to 3 times its price.

2002 Monte Xanic Gran Ricardo

JESSE - 2-22-2007 at 01:34 AM

Monte Xanic is not one of my favorite Mexican wineries, i think quality has gone down in the past 5 years, and prices are too high for the quality of their wines. The recent release of their Malbec is a disaster in my opinion, but thats another story. Gran Ricardo is the only good wine thats coming out from Monte Xanic these days. This is a wine that has been around for many many years, but only in magnum size, so most of us rarely had a chance to taste it. Recently they decided to sale it .750ml size (a good idea) and now people are getting a chance to try it more often. Gran Ricardo is a French blend of Cabernet, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot. This is a fine wine, and opulent wine, with silky tannins, and a long finish that makes it very atractive. Its only drawback its the now too popular saltiness exibited in most Baja wines, but if your willing to overlook that, this is general is a good solid wine at 500 pesos a bottle.

2003 Passion Ojos Negros

JESSE - 2-22-2007 at 01:45 AM

This is another top Mexican wine, expensive, but very opulent and elegant with the traditional french style most good Mexican wines show these days. Passion is a Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot blend, the wine is medium bodied, with wonderful aromas of raspberries, oak, a little vanilla, and some green pepper ( my opinion). The price tag for this wine is a little expensive, $750.00 pesos a bottle, and its worth it, but i can see why most people stay away from top Mexican reds when theres other wines that are very good. Non the less, i have plenty of top Mexican reds lovers, and they all seem to love this one.

danaeb - 2-22-2007 at 07:28 PM

Jesse - check U2U.

DAILY WINE

rob - 3-24-2007 at 04:09 PM

Just found this thread. Two comments

- I once brought in a case of (US) wine through Tecate, and like a good resident, attempted to decalre it and pay excess duty. The customs guy pointed to a large sign on the wall which said (among other things) that if you bring guns, ammunition, second hand tires, second hand clothing or WINE in to Mexico, you will be executed or such lesser penalty. He told me it was flat out ILLEGAL to bring more than your allowance, and there was no legal way I could import it without an liquor import license (gotta get one of those). We looked at each other for a moment, and he told me to get out of there and not to put him in such a position again . .

- a good daily "plonk" (nothing special, just for supper) as we used to call it in Australia and South Africa is "Pampas" a dry white from Argentina at $5-$6 a bottle in Europea (Cabo) and Cava in La Paz.

Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc

JESSE - 4-20-2007 at 06:05 PM

Crisp, refreshing, and one of my favorite Sauvignon Blancs. It is pale with a bouquet of guava and tropical fruit, a fine example of New Zealand Sauvignon B.

15 bucks at Europea

Rosemount estate traminer-riesling

JESSE - 4-20-2007 at 06:11 PM

Delicious blend with tons of fruity melon

15 bucks at Cava Patron

JESSE - 4-20-2007 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
15 bucks at Europea

Europa... where's that?

--Larry

Its in Cabo, they have two locations, one at the marina, and the other on the road to San Jose.

Last evening's vino...Double Dog Dare

Pompano - 4-21-2007 at 12:40 PM

Well, when I saw these at Trader Joe's in Pacific Bch, I couldn't resist that label name. And you know something..?.. the wine is pretty darn good.

Of course, it might have been the excellent company also...and the view....and the chili rellenos made by a visiting master chef...or the before...in-between and after margaritas..

Anyhoo...it was a fine merlot. It even had a cork. Bottled by Double Dog Cellars, Ripon, Ca. Retails at $7, and you can get a discount on a case.

Seriously, this is a good merlot. You will like it. 6 of 6 of us did last night.

[Edited on 4-21-2007 by Pompano]

-0 (1) (Medium) (Large).jpg - 37kB

JESSE - 4-21-2007 at 04:01 PM

Can we buy it here in Baja Pompano?

Pompano - 4-21-2007 at 04:06 PM

Jesse, I don't know just where it might be available in Baja Sur, but like most things these days, it probably is. I will check some sources and post back here on the wine thread. It really was quite good.

oxxo - 4-21-2007 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Europa... where's that?

It is La Europea. They have two stores. One is just east of Costco on the carretera in San Lucas and the other is in San Jose near the Fonatur monument.

oxxo - 4-23-2007 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Europa... where's that?

--Larry

Just discovered they have a third store in Puerto Paraiso mall. Checked it out yesterday but couldn't remember what wines Jesse suggested to purchase. I've made a list now!

Hook - 5-23-2007 at 06:51 PM

Just came across another great Malbec from the Mendoza Valley. In fact, the BEST Malbec in this price range I've ever had.

Kaiken.........right around 10 gringo dollars up here. 10% Cab with the Malbec.

capt. mike - 5-24-2007 at 05:41 AM

thx hook! i am hunting some up today.
what outlet did you use?

Hook - 5-24-2007 at 08:15 AM

Wine Exchange in Orange. Actually their recommendation, not something I just stumbled onto. But sometimes they make special purchases so check around on the net.

this is the '05 version; you wouldnt guess it was that young. Apparently Aurelio Montes supervised the making of this wine.

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Hook]