BajaNomad

Ice crystals in my Pacifico

Lee - 10-29-2006 at 09:10 PM

Lately I've noticed ice crystals floating at the top of my chilled glass of Pacifico. I generally chill a beer glass in my freezer before squeezing a chunk of lime in it. I then pour the Pacifico slowly down the side to assure a property head on my glass. Well, maybe, I haven't noticed the crystals before in my rush to drink this brew. Now I'm wondering if my glass is too cold.

Question: has anyone else encountered this problem, if indeed, it is a problem, and should I leave the crystals alone or scoop them out? I have noticed that, in time, they dissolve and disappear without any noticeable change in taste of the Pacifico.

:cool:

bajaguy - 10-29-2006 at 09:21 PM

To me, those ice crystals mean everything is perfect!!!

chino - 10-29-2006 at 09:34 PM

Poor thing!

COLD

MrBillM - 10-29-2006 at 09:38 PM

I was told by a German friend years ago that Americans drink their beer too cold and it adversely affects the taste. After heeding his advice and drinking my beer at a cool, but not cold temperature, I became convinced he was correct.

vgabndo - 10-29-2006 at 09:46 PM

Lee...years ago in the Marines in the Philippines it was tough to get a beer a cold as we wanted it. Seems they could cool a beer or freeze it, but not CHILL it. We'd order a half warm one and a frozen one. While nursing the warm one, the other us upsidedown in a glass thawing. Every few minutes you could have a pull of brew with ice crystals in it.

Like Bajaguy said...sounds perfect to me.:bounce:

Lee - 10-29-2006 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I was told by a German friend years ago that Americans drink their beer too cold and it adversely affects the taste. After heeding his advice and drinking my beer at a cool, but not cold temperature, I became convinced he was correct.

There is at least one beer I've found that to be true with: Samuel Smith (Tadcaster, Yorkshire, England). Their Old Brewery Pale Ale starts out cold and by the middle of the bottle (1L) I've noticed the flavor has increased as the brew comes to room temp.

Paula - 10-29-2006 at 09:55 PM

I'm more of a wine drinkeer myself, but there are times when nothing beats a really cold beer. Ice crystals are definitely a plus!

BajaWarrior - 10-29-2006 at 10:58 PM

Pacificos with ice crystals may be hazardous to your health Lee, save yourself, send them to me.:spingrin:

Bruce R Leech - 10-30-2006 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Lately I've noticed ice crystals floating at the top of my chilled glass of Pacifico. I generally chill a beer glass in my freezer before squeezing a chunk of lime in it. I then pour the Pacifico slowly down the side to assure a property head on my glass. Well, maybe, I haven't noticed the crystals before in my rush to drink this brew. Now I'm wondering if my glass is too cold.

Question: has anyone else encountered this problem, if indeed, it is a problem, and should I leave the crystals alone or scoop them out? I have noticed that, in time, they dissolve and disappear without any noticeable change in taste of the Pacifico.

just Waite 5 minuets and they will go away. or don't leave the glass in the freezer so long.:light:

Life must be good if this is the big problem in your life:lol:

Mexitron - 10-30-2006 at 07:17 AM

The optimum temp kinda depends on what type of beer you're drinking too IMHO...a light beer like Rainier, Lone Star, Olympia, Tecate, or the Bud stuff is better chilled, especially on a hot day. Darker, yeastier, maltier types like many of the microbrews and Guinesses are better not being so cold like MrBillM says but room temp is taking it too far. Of course how you like it is how its best served.
And for those times in Baja when you run out of ice Superior is the best warm, Pacifico and Corona are not so good, but by all means stay away from warm Tecate!

RockhouseTom - 10-30-2006 at 07:20 AM

Extensive research is needed to solve this problem.

I’ll get back to you. :lol:

Lee - 10-30-2006 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
just Waite 5 minuets and they will go away. or don't leave the glass in the freezer so long.:light:

Nobody likes to hear how good life is but yeah my life is good. It's about time because most of it has sucked -- except when I'm down South -- which has not been enough. That's about to change. I'll have to duplicate the Pacifico scenario for you Bruce. And yeah, I forgot to mention the ice goes away. Don't want to ruin my Pacifico.

Bruce R Leech - 10-30-2006 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

Nobody likes to hear how good life is but yeah my life is good. It's about time because most of it has sucked -- except when I'm down South -- which has not been enough. That's about to change. I'll have to duplicate the Pacifico scenario for you Bruce. And yeah, I forgot to mention the ice goes away. Don't want to ruin my Pacifico.

since we are both from Colorado I think we should have a beer together some time when you get down here.

Go Broncos:lol:

Lee - 10-30-2006 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
since we are both from Colorado I think we should have a beer together some time when you get down here.

Go Broncos:lol:

Absolutely, Brother. Proud to have a cold one. Semper Fi.

How about them Broncs? Between them and the CU Buffs, it's a rabid state around sports.

Bruce R Leech - 10-30-2006 at 05:02 PM

go CU Buffs:yes:

PabloS - 10-30-2006 at 06:00 PM

If those crystals are yellow don't drink them :o:o:spingrin::spingrin::wow:

Alan - 10-30-2006 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Please don't throw me in that Briar Patch!

DanO - 10-30-2006 at 06:45 PM

The deadly yellow snow, from right there where the huskies go!

From "Nanook Rubs It."

R.I.P. Frank Zappa.

Bruce R Leech - 10-30-2006 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PabloS
If those crystals are yellow don't drink them :o:o:spingrin::spingrin::wow:

how could they be any other color in Beer?:?::?::lol:

Dave - 10-30-2006 at 10:52 PM

Quote:

Eating or drinking ice cold anything affects taste because cold numbs the taste buds and inhibits release of aroma.

Mexitron - 10-31-2006 at 06:11 AM

Quote:

Eating or drinking ice cold anything affects taste because cold numbs the taste buds and inhibits release of aroma.

Had some ice cream last night--didn't numb my taste buds...of course the alchohol in the beer might do that;D

Tomas Tierra - 10-31-2006 at 09:15 AM

"Ice" crystals are bringing down our society!

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 10:39 AM

Quote:

MrBillM... I did not post here until now, Because you said it all.
Now with Mexitron post, that I believe he was jesting, I am confirming what you said.
Ice Cream is a great example. When you start eating a ice cream the flavor is powerful. Soon you are just consuming it and taste little, wasting the ice cream and you only get the calories. Just stop once and let your mouth warm up and you can taste the greatness again. This works on all levels of temperatures. Someone started chilling white wines years ago.
I believe it started with wineries with foul tasting wines chilling them at tastings at wineries and convinced people this is the only way to drink white wine. Chilled white wine sucks.
The flavors are very mellow, why would you want to hide them:?: I drink little white wine, because of the mellowness.

IMHO 60-70 degrees is perfect for all beer and wine. If your beer/wine taste foul at this temp. You should consider a better quality drink. This enjoyment does not happen over night. If you want everything out of a beer/wine give it a chance. You will thank me later.

FARASHA - 10-31-2006 at 10:52 AM

I just think it is a matter of prefering QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
If i want to wash down a LOT then TASTE isn't an issue.
If I'm up for a good TASTE - then too cold is a contradiction.

Wine or Beer or Food has to have the RIGHT temperatur for the most ENJOYMENT. And it has to do with taking the TIME for it!!
CHEERS and BON APETIT :biggrin::dudette:

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 10:57 AM

Farasha..
""If i want to wash down a LOT then TASTE isn't an issue.""
Life is short why would you ever do that:?: Slow down:biggrin: The only washing I do is with water.:lol::lol:

Frozen beer. Good or bad?

Summanus - 10-31-2006 at 11:09 AM

Easy..any beer is good. HOT...Cold....warm...cool. The key word is AVAILABILITY.

For the true beer lover, here is what frozen Budweiser beer crystals look like. Okay, so Bud is my choice either, but this is the only photo I could find...I would imagine Pacifico looks Oh-so-much-better!

- frozen Budweiser under microscope -.jpg - 20kB

FARASHA - 10-31-2006 at 11:10 AM

THAT was meant with a TOUNGE in CHEEK Albert!!
AND wasn't pointed in your direction :biggrin: anyway.
I would never wash down a lot either - my tummy can't take much. I can either DRINK or EAT, never both at same time!

Hook - 10-31-2006 at 11:14 AM

There are more reasons that just taste for drinking beer.

I'd say the difference in temp preferences between Germany and Baja are about 30 degrees............the average difference in daytime highs between most places in Baja and most places in Germany on any given day.

You wont find me drinking only cool-to-lukewarm beer in the heat of Baja. Germany, maybe, but not Baja.

My main reason for drinking beer is for refreshment. I dont like most all sodas. And if I want a buzz, beer is just too filling to accomplish this.

With white wines, there are times when I keep them chilled for as long as the bottle is open. Other times, I want the wine to warm. It all depends on the wine itself. Generally, if a white has too much fruit and oak for my palette, it's best drunk real cold cause it will only get more prominent as it warms.

[Edited on 10-31-2006 by Hook]

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 11:16 AM

Sorry Farasha...That is what I get for having my tounge hanging out.:lol::lol::cool:

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
There are more reasons that just taste for drinking beer.

I'd say the difference in temp preferences between Germany and Baja are about 30 degrees............the average difference in daytime highs between most places in Baja and most places in Germany on any given day.

You wont find me drinking only cool-to-lukewarm beer in the heat of Baja. Germany, maybe, but not Baja.

My main reason for drinking beer is for refreshment. I don't like most all sodas. And if I want a buzz, beer is just too filling to accomplish this.

With white wines, there are times when I keep them chilled for as long as the bottle is open. Other times, I want the wine to warm. It all depends on the wine itself. Generally, if a white has too much fruit and oak for my palette, it's best drunk real cold cause it will only get more prominent as it warms.

[Edited on 10-31-2006 by Hook]

How right your are and I know I did not cover all situations.
When I do want a cold beer on a very hot day, I usually choose a weak beer like Corona and of course beer in bars are cold. White wines stale easily and should be refrigerated, but allow to warm be fore use. I do not drink much white so adjusting temp for taste sounds good.
I never drink for a buzz, but it happens. I usually hide as I am afraid of saying something I did not mean. At my age I get confused easily as it is.
Boy, am I getting thirsty:lol::lol: What time is it????:biggrin:

FARASHA - 10-31-2006 at 12:15 PM

AL G - ALWAYS THE RIGHT TIME FOR A well tempered beer.
AND there is a difference in drinking habits in Germany and Austria!! Austrians are more for the Quality in beverages and Food, germans are rather seeking Quantity.
Austrians too have for every kind of Beer and Wine a specific temperature. And we would never drink a beer lukewarm :P , but never use chilled/frozen glasses either.
A warm beer is refered to as tasting p**like or as VARNISH.
And we would rather die, then to drink a WARM beer or a warm white wine ( against etiquette !) White wine as well as Red wine have to have a specific given temperature, to BREATH, depending WHAT KIND of wine it is.
A good restaurant has his own Sommelier who looks after all this.
Back to Beer:
Vienna for example has 23 Districts - in some districts we have up to 3 breweries. each one creating at least 3 to 4 different kind of beers!!( Lager, Bock, Pils, etc..) Not all are sold in Bottles, some you can just get directly off the brewery's own Cantina!!
So each one needs a different temperature for developing the best taste!
SO - Cheers to all Beer Lover's - This is paradise here for you!
You can spend quite some time to get through our sortiment of beer alone in Vienna - now this goes through all Austria!! Imagine that!!!! :P:P:P
And you won't believe my FAVORIT beer is still a CORONA - it's light, doesn't make me drunk so easily, not to bitter, not too sweet. Makes me think of BAJA!!!!:yes:

Al

bajaguy - 10-31-2006 at 01:09 PM

the time is.......five o'clock.....somewhere

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 01:41 PM

OK You talked me into it. Now I must make a hard choice...I know, I will have one of each:biggrin:

FARASHA - 10-31-2006 at 01:45 PM

AlG - you better plan a loooooooooong time on the loooooo also :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 01:58 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lee - 10-31-2006 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
And you won't believe my FAVORIT beer is still a CORONA - it's light, doesn't make me drunk so easily, not to bitter, not too sweet. Makes me think of BAJA!!!!:yes:

GOD I'm thirsty!

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

GOD I'm thirsty!

Join Me I'm half way through my first and thingink about who is next.:biggrin:
Hope I make it to see all the trickster:lol::lol:

FARASHA - 10-31-2006 at 02:29 PM

Just got myself one out of the fridge, sliced a lemon, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM , OPPS - anyone heard that burp??:rolleyes:

You've just lost all my respect

Dave - 11-1-2006 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
And you won't believe my FAVORIT beer is still a CORONA -

You probably like Maccabee, too. ;)

Jeez...And coming from an Austrian :rolleyes:

FARASHA - 11-1-2006 at 12:48 PM

Maccabee was okay, still Corona is more my taste - although I'm Austrian - I'm a Cosmopolit too.

pargo - 11-2-2006 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

There is at least one beer I've found that to be true with: Samuel Smith (Tadcaster, Yorkshire, England). Their Old Brewery Pale Ale starts out cold and by the middle of the bottle (1L) I've noticed the flavor has increased as the brew comes to room temp.

Just so happens I had a Sam Smith for the first time two days ago. Excellent stuff for fans of pale ale. If you're in San Diego, look up Ballast point brewery and try their Yellowtail Pale Ale...top five of myfav. Pale's

I'm partial

Hook - 11-3-2006 at 03:51 PM

to most all the brews at my local Oggi's Pizza and Brewery. Great stuff.....also the absolute best buffalo-style wings anywhere.

Dont know if the brews and wings are the same at all of them. I frequent the Mission Viejo one.

All right, so this is getting a little off topic......

Al G - 11-3-2006 at 04:29 PM

Just had a pint of Drakes Autumn Fest. WoW double Wow.
Much lighter then I prefer, wow. It is a very well balanced, very hoppy, with orange connotations with no orange flavor.
The very hoppy kick mellows very quickly to a robust IPA.
Life experiences are so goooood.

Summanus - 11-3-2006 at 04:40 PM

Jeesus..Al G!! hoppy?...ORANGE connotations and robustness? :rolleyes:Look up!..there is a large aluminum beer can headed for your head.:D

Would someone slide me of a mug of tap beer and a JD chaser?

Al G - 11-3-2006 at 04:51 PM

Oh..No...the evil aluminum can...oh...oh..I swear I will never touch you inappropriately again....CRUNCH...CRUNCH...CRUNCH:P:P:P:lol:

Summanus - 11-3-2006 at 04:55 PM

Algae....you are in fine form tonignt. Hale to the ale.:)

Bajamatic - 11-3-2006 at 04:56 PM

3:45, and Al's already buzzed. must be friday.

Al G - 11-3-2006 at 05:17 PM

I really do not won't to spoil my reputation, but I am not a cheap date...1 pint will not give me a buzz. What I suggest is when we meet you should all pitch in and see if you can get me buzzed:light: I am a willing soul, but I do not drink cheap cr*p. "If you got the money honey, I got the time""
Uhhh...are you old enough to remember that song???
:biggrin:

Bajamatic - 11-3-2006 at 05:21 PM

we'll go honkey tonkin'? Is this a pass Al?;)

Al G - 11-3-2006 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
3:45, and Al's already buzzed. must be friday.

Friday only means, I must get up early to tend my garden.
I fertilize with beer you know.

FARASHA - 11-4-2006 at 06:21 AM

AlG -what do you grown in your garden??

Summanus - 11-4-2006 at 06:41 AM

Hops, I bet.

Diver - 11-4-2006 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G

Watering with recycled beer, I hope !?! :lol:

BajaNomad - 11-4-2006 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
this is the only photo I could find...I would imagine Pacifico looks Oh-so-much-better!

Pacifico under a microscope:

Others:
http://microscope.fsu.edu/beershots

Summanus - 11-4-2006 at 08:14 AM

BajaNomad...a thing of beauty. Salud!

Al G - 11-4-2006 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
AlG -what do you grown in your garden??

Farasha...I grow my two favorite fruits...Tomatoes and Strawberries...MMMMMgood. Also some purple onions and many herbs. In Baja I will grow barley,sorghum, and yes Summanus, Hops several kinds, I hope. I do not know the seasons, but it will be fun to learn.
viva Baja and the time to enjoy it.

Al G - 11-4-2006 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

Watering with recycled beer, I hope !?! :lol:

I recycle EVERTHING.....well almost:lol:

Al G - 11-4-2006 at 08:41 AM

Yes Yes BN, I agree with Summanus, a thing of beauty. This makes for a good argument for my doctor...Something that beautiful cannot be bad for you:biggrin:

FARASHA - 11-4-2006 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Farasha...I grow my two favorite fruits...Tomatoes and Strawberries...MMMMMgood. Also some purple onions and many herbs. In Baja I will grow barley,sorghum, and yes Summanus, Hops several kinds, I hope. I do not know the seasons, but it will be fun to learn.
viva Baja and the time to enjoy it.

If you fertilize it with recycled beer - it will also have the taste of the fertilizer - did you know that?? :P :lol::bounce:

Al G - 11-4-2006 at 10:46 AM

Farasha...I was joking.:biggrin:

FARASHA - 11-4-2006 at 11:13 AM

:biggrin::lol::bounce: ME TOO :P

kellychapman - 11-4-2006 at 06:28 PM

Ice crystals in your beer ......how incrediable.....nothing could be better....what you have is a beer slushie.......I want one now....

bajalou - 11-4-2006 at 06:30 PM

Add some lime and salt the rim and it's called a Michiolada (sp)

kellychapman - 11-4-2006 at 06:45 PM

dont forget the salsa de polvo on the rim too......which has plenty of salt in it also.