BajaNomad

Loreto Restaurant Recommendations?

CP - 11-6-2006 at 09:25 AM

Any recommendations for a restaurant in Loreto (other than El Taste y El Nido) that has a full bar, serves lobster, and is open on Sundays?
Thanks,
CP

CJ - 11-6-2006 at 11:52 AM

Try the Giggling Dolphin. Good food and the owner is a great guy. The chile rellenos are some of the best in town. bien provecho....CJ

jerry - 11-6-2006 at 01:06 PM

where is the Giggling dolphin located must be pretty new??

Don Alley - 11-6-2006 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
where is the Giggling dolphin located must be pretty new??

The Giggling Dolphin is on Juarez, near the Malecon, next to the Dolphin Dive Center and the new small motel and bar Luna.

backninedan - 11-6-2006 at 02:22 PM

Mita Gourmet is another good one, they have a fairly extensive menu and the prices are decent. Its located on the east side of the town square.

Paula - 11-6-2006 at 03:46 PM

One of the most pleasant places to eat is Pachamama on Zapata, a few doors north of Salvatierra. Open Sunday, full bar, excellent service, lovely atmosphere, but alas, no seafood.

Excellent steaks, salad, pasta, and pizzas, plus some different choices-- a unique restaurant.

LTO eateries

djh - 11-6-2006 at 03:56 PM

I believe that Juan Carlos (Mita) is still closed Sundays, no? - Juan Carlos, his family, and the employees are all tops by Shing and me :-). I eat seafood and occasionally chicken, and all of those Mita dishes are a gastronomical treat. Shing also loves his steaks... (and Shing knows good food !!)

I believe that Islas (on the Malecon where the walk way from the square ends... we call it "Ficus Way"...) is open sundays. Very good sea food dishes also. Good chef and crew. Tom and Michell (owners) are nice folks and neighbors also.

Holy smokes.... it is 40 degrees, raining buckets, and approaching 30 knots of wind here in N. Idaho today.... I need to BE in Loreto sitting down for a nice meal !!!

If you go to Mitas or Islas, tell our friends David and Shing say hi and see you soon.

djh

Don Alley - 11-6-2006 at 04:14 PM

Islas is one of Paula and my favorites. They are especially good with fish and shrimp. But we miss Ernesto, the waiter, who along with Pablo from La Terraza has been recruited (dare I say "poached") to work at the really expensive place that I forget the name of.:lol:

There is a new restaurant opening soon just off the hiway on the San Javier road.

Summanus - 11-6-2006 at 04:16 PM

Cafe Ole..Mama Lulu's, still in Loreto?.... but that was some years ago. The new places seem a little un-Baja to us, but I am sure the food is top shelf.

Phil C - 11-6-2006 at 05:10 PM

Don, is that the realy expensive place that serves the "hosed down pasta"? We tried it once, didn't realy care for it........ I agree, Islas, Francisco is one of the best cooks in Loreto. Pachamama for upscale. Can't go wrong at Mita's

[Edited on 11-7-2006 by Phil C]

jerry - 11-6-2006 at 10:06 PM

loretos really moving on each time i get there theres a new bunch of places to check out but then its allway been that way from my first time i ate at little home type eaterys no menue and the food was great the next time it was a different place i still go to the little front yard places serving home cooking a culinary adventure (sweet) experence

FARASHA - 11-7-2006 at 06:01 AM

GIGGLING DOLPHIN - great food, and delicious dessert too.
The Athmosphere is great, very clean, Owner and Staff are nice and flexible- for special wishes!

And this from someone who is VERY picky!!

CP - 11-7-2006 at 07:23 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions!!! Will check out Islas (Malecon), Giggling Dolphin (Juarez), Mita's (East of square) and Pachamama (Location?).
CP

Paula - 11-7-2006 at 08:28 AM

CP,

To find Pachamama, go to the Pemex on Juarez. Cross Juarez, walk south on Zapata for a block and a half. It's on the right hand isde of the street.

Enjoy your trip!

Question for Phil C.

CP - 11-7-2006 at 09:33 AM

Gotta ask - what does "hosed down pasta" mean ?

Paula - 11-7-2006 at 09:41 AM

I think I could answer that pasta question, but I'll defer to Phil.:yes: And I think he knows where they serve that dish;D

Summanus - 11-7-2006 at 09:42 AM

Me too, Phil C.....Help me get rid of a very un-appetizing mental picture of that "hosed down pasta" being prepared in the kitchen ..:rolleyes:

FARASHA - 11-7-2006 at 10:26 AM

Could someone call Phil C?? Can't go to sleep otherwise now, with this unsolved "hosed down Pasta" mystery. Me too have a picture in mind the last couple hours :P
(Had to help myself with a poppyseed cake with chocolate icing) :biggrin:

Summanus - 11-7-2006 at 11:19 AM

Thinking of this pasta question (which is nicht zu gut)...I am reminded of this:

If you eat a pasta, and then an antipasta....does that mean you would still be hungry?

[Edited on 11-7-2006 by Summanus]

Paula - 11-7-2006 at 11:51 AM

Please pass me the poppyseed cake, Farasha!

FARASHA - 11-7-2006 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
If you eat a pasta, and then an antipasta....does that mean you would still be hungry?

[Edited on 11-7-2006 by Summanus]

No, because you would then have started with the DOLCE, and that will take care of it.:cool:

Dolce...

Summanus - 11-7-2006 at 12:06 PM

FARASHA...you have Dolce on the mind. You need therapy.

Here it is: (my wife dubbed this "our just desserts")

NOTE: This will the last 'treat' in your rehabilitation/withdrawal from the dreaded dolce syndrome. Cold Turkey is now mandatory.

- our just desserts -.jpg - 40kB

FARASHA - 11-7-2006 at 12:15 PM

SUMMANUS: THANKS A LOT for getting my glands working, now I got to go and get some food - have to regain lots of weight, which I've lost in BAJA. So NO to withdrawal and diet :biggrin:

SO, all still waiting for PhilC's Pasta receipt!!:?:

Phil C - 11-7-2006 at 03:32 PM

Well.....looks like I stirred up the noodles.....seems the water sort of got away from the cook once, and uh, there was sort of a flooding incident....and uh, uh,well you know,uh, one thing led to another, know what I mean? And then there you go.. hosed down pasta. Seems like a perfectly good esplination to me.......... (whew!). Guess you had to have been there. I'm sure the problem has been cleared up. Try the pineapple salad, it's yummy ;D

[Edited on 11-7-2006 by Phil C]

backninedan - 11-7-2006 at 04:42 PM

I have also tried the "House of hosed down pasta". Wont be going back

Paula - 11-7-2006 at 06:26 PM

Wow, Phil, I didn't know about the flood and all... I just thought the sauce was lacking a few things-- like tomatoes, garlic, basil and salt.

Phil C - 11-7-2006 at 06:38 PM

Must be the barbed wire that keeps them out..

Paula - 11-7-2006 at 10:05 PM

Oh, THAT place;)

Loreto Restaurants

Loretana - 11-7-2006 at 11:43 PM

Not exactly posh, or a sitdown with lobster and linen tablecloths, but a MUST when in Loreto is the new seafood coctel joint just east of El Nido on the road into town.

I spent a rollicking hour there in June watching Mexico play Argentina in the World Cup Soccer match. I savored the delicious "pescado al vapor" (cabrilla steamed with vegetables in foil, and absolutely succulent)........

A group of taxistas and bus drivers having lunch gathered around a small in-house television and wrenched and groaned and cussed and stomped their feet over the soccer match............... GOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know,THAT GUY

It was truly a memorable Baja experience!

They also have excellent tostadas de ceviche de camarron, fresh fresh fresh around 11 AM. This is a daytime cocteleria, I don't think they're open at night. But the mariscos are "to die for". :dudette:

Skeet/Loreto - 11-8-2006 at 03:25 AM

"Giggling Dolphin" is Excellent!
And just wait until you see the Little Lady with the Great Boobs and Cute Little Rear End that Serves you that Good Food!!!!

The "Boat Bar" was made from the Boat that Bill Benziger used when he first opened the "Hotel Oasis".

Skeet

CP - 11-8-2006 at 07:51 AM

Thank you Skeet. In addition to full bar and good food, Great Boobs will certainly be appreciated by the guests I am taking to dinner!

Hey Loretana,
We always make that coctelaria our first stop when we hit Loreto. Get the truck washed next door, drink beer and have excellent fresh mariscos, run across the street for pet supplies. GOTTA QUESTION for you on the Al Vapor they serve there. What is the ingredient that gives it a unique flavor from the others I have had? Is it epazote??? Is it the stuff they add to Mexican butter?? I can't figure it out. I always forget to ask. Well, no, actually my Spanish isn't good enough to ask something that specific... any ideas? If not, I'll definitely ask the question when I am there next time (having one specific communication goal really really helps me put in the study time).
CP

Summanus - 11-8-2006 at 08:47 AM

ah..please send coordinates of Great Boobs and Cute Rear End....cafe also.

FARASHA - 11-8-2006 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

The Giggling Dolphin is on Juarez, near the Malecon, next to the Dolphin Dive Center and the new small motel and bar Luna.

Enjoy Summanus!!

bajajudy - 11-8-2006 at 01:20 PM

Anyone have any word on how Picazon made it through the storms?
Hi to Emelda and Alejandro if anyone goes out that way.

Don Alley - 11-8-2006 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Anyone have any word on how Picazon made it through the storms?
Hi to Emelda and Alejandro if anyone goes out that way.

We didn't stop there last time we went to El Bajo; they were not open then. But they opened a week ago.

In general, I could say soo much more about Loreto Restaurants, especially the "hosed down pasta:lol: " but it's a small town. This category needs an anonymous posting capability.:biggrin: