BajaNomad

Baja Almanac

Bajamatic - 11-6-2006 at 12:40 PM

Anyone have any updates and the new release?

Baja Almanac

MrBillM - 11-6-2006 at 12:55 PM

I would suppose that their own website: www.baja-almanac.com would be the most authoritative source. It says they're sold out and uncertain when they'll publish again. It doesn't sound too encouraging.

It makes me glad that I bought quite a few years ago when they were popular. At the time, they had some sort of volume deal that made them pretty cheap. One Christmas, I gave out Six sets, leaving me with four.

theduece - 11-6-2006 at 04:15 PM

mrbillm would you like to sell one of yours??

David K - 11-6-2006 at 04:45 PM

The word is 'delayed indefinately', but probably a few months... Landon wants to survey the entire peninsula to fix any errors he knows the Mexican mapmakers have made...

I saw some for sale recently at ... sorry, don't recall! ;D

Diver - 11-6-2006 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I saw some for sale recently at ... sorry, don't recall! ;D

That was MrBill on ebay but his price is up to $50 ! :lol:

WHAT?!

bigzaggin - 11-6-2006 at 04:50 PM

he wants to "survey the entire peninsula" before he puts out a new one? Seems like that could take a spell. Maybe I should have my old Almanac laminated and reassembled.

David K - 11-6-2006 at 05:07 PM

Always buy two or more!

One for marking on... one for investment!

I have an untouched Baja Atlas (the BIG one) I found at a used book store for $8...!!! My original from '86 is quite worn!

bigzaggin - 11-6-2006 at 05:10 PM

Solid advice. Now please travel back in time and give it to me five years ago.

Pappy Jon - 11-6-2006 at 06:56 PM

Wow, thanks for the reminder. I haven't seen the one I paid for in April. Last time I heard from them was August. Sure wish they would poop or get off the pot.

Bruce R Leech - 11-6-2006 at 07:02 PM

what is one worth now
?

Al G - 11-6-2006 at 07:09 PM

They were 25.00 in Los Barriles Last year

theduece - 11-6-2006 at 09:53 PM

anybody have one????
remember where they saw one??????
pleeeaaaasssssssseeeeeeeeeee

ALMANAC

rob - 11-12-2006 at 11:00 AM

I saw a Baja Almanac in Libros Libros Libros off the cathederal square in La Paz about 2 weeks ago. If they ever OFFICIALLY go out of print, I am sure there are lots of Nomads who have carefully-scanned pristine copies for use in their computers.

I have been superimposing my GPS maps onto Google Earth satellite shots using FUGAWI software - awesome! (and a lot more accurate than BA . . .)

No - not being snotty - I owe a great deal to Baja Almanac for helping me survive early expeditions, and hope to see another edition.

Not for Sale

MrBillM - 11-12-2006 at 11:04 AM

It wasn't me on Ebay (I know you were joking). I don't bother with Nickel and Dime stuff like that. I'll keep my two spares until the day I decide to Give them away to a friend. I'd much rather do that than make some loose change.

bajajudy - 11-12-2006 at 01:57 PM

We are hearing that no one knows when.

As of last week, there were two at Finisterre Hotel in San Lucas and one in Trader Dicks in San Jose. The one at TD's was $40.

I think that Chuck in Los Barriles has some, if anyone knows how to get in touch with him.

We get requests almost daily for them. Sure wish we had the new ones!

David K - 11-12-2006 at 05:57 PM

Kim's Trading Post in El Rosario has been a distributor of Landon's Almanac and folding maps...

Baja Explorer Atlas

Hook - 11-13-2006 at 09:37 AM

I still have a rather ratty copy of the larger, earlier almanac. How do these compared with the newer, smaller version? Is the old one less accurate?

It's certainly not a convenient driving size.............

David K - 11-13-2006 at 09:43 AM

The older big 'Baja Atlas' was more acurate, more detail... Just wasn't convenient for travel... Thus, the smaller Almanac.

Need 2 copies of Almanac

TommyAfrika - 11-26-2006 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
It wasn't me on Ebay (I know you were joking). I don't bother with Nickel and Dime stuff like that. I'll keep my two spares until the day I decide to Give them away to a friend. I'd much rather do that than make some loose change.

(1) I had bought 2 copies and lent them to family when they traveled to CSL 2x. Each time they were misplaced. :mad: Anyway, I have none now and been following the website for 10+ months and still no new release date set. I even signed up for e-mail notification. DOES ANYONE WISH TO SELL A COPY? E-Bay search resulted in zero hits.

(2) I'm an avid Google Earth user and created several image overlays using scanned copies from the almanac (giving proper credit to the publisher and encouraging people to buy their own copies of the almanac). Now I cannot continue my Baja KMZ topo overlay project on the GE BBS ... http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/351... ... http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/510...

(3) For those of you interested in baja history, I have created a very thorough KMX file entitled "El Camino Real de las Misioneros de las Californias" for your 3-D viewing & enjoyment ... http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/320...

CYA in 2007.

-Tommy

[Edited on 11-26-2006 by TommyAfrika]

bajalou - 11-26-2006 at 04:02 PM

Thanks Tommy - great work

David K - 11-26-2006 at 04:19 PM

Yes Tommy... Also nice of you to give credit for my Baja Missions web site. I need to study your work more, looks first class!

TommyAfrika - 11-28-2006 at 02:24 PM

Thanks, Lou. It was a labor of love. I'm borrowing your signatures for my own e-mails. Very true ...

TommyAfrika - 11-28-2006 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes Tommy... Also nice of you to give credit for my Baja Missions web site. I need to study your work more, looks first class!

You're welcome. While I take credit for the creation of the KMZ file, I always try and give proper credit for the original materials. I've spent many hours on your website. And others doing research to weed out fact from fiction. ;D

Taco Dog

TommyAfrika - 11-28-2006 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

Mr. Bill, where ever did you find that avatar? You're dog? Ironic hat this is the first thread I'm participating in and it contains Taco in the title ... Taco is the name of my frisbee dog (not a surfer just yet) and he looks just like your avatar ... http://www.egaps.net/htm/office_clt.htm :lol::lol::lol:

BAJA ALMANAC

rob - 11-30-2006 at 03:44 PM

Hi TommyAfrika!

REALLY enjoyed your Google .kmz stuff - if only I could do that . . . you must have put a LOT of work into it.

Well, what goes around comes around, and I have on the desk in front of me 2 almost new Baja Almanacs ("almost" in that they are new, but the older North and South versions, never used).

Be happy to put them into capable hands. Let me know how - we live on the Pacific coast of Baja Sur on a remote ranch.

Scanned Almanac

motoged - 12-2-2006 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
II am sure there are lots of Nomads who have carefully-scanned pristine copies for use in their computers.
;)

Now that is a good idea....so good i went and replaced my scanner with one that works with XP.....and have scanned most of the Almanac....a few pages yet to go.

And I have printed out two copies for my upcoming ride in mondo-enduro in Dec-Jan.

This way I can have copies as needed....carry it on a disc and make more down there if needed....

Ged

Ged----You gotta do something about that avatar

Barry A. - 12-2-2006 at 02:55 PM

wornout - 12-2-2006 at 06:39 PM

Thanks Tommy, this is some great work....wornout

How's that Barry ??

motoged - 12-2-2006 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry,
Thanks for the advice.....I was getting a kink in my lower back with that republican posture:lol:

Ged

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, Ged, much better------

Barry A. - 12-2-2006 at 11:00 PM

even with the political nonsense. :lol: