BajaNomad

Kind of a weird question about the border.

BNF - 11-16-2006 at 01:24 PM

My wife and I are heading down on Thanksgiving for a non traditional
lobster dinner in Baja and are planning to cross back over on Sunday. I assume because of the Holiday weekend that the border is going to be a mess. Last time we got sent to Otay Mesa to cross, and as I was sitting there for 3 hours I had this question. What do I do if I have to go to the bathroom?I didn't this time but.... Does anyone know about restroom facilities at the crossings? I didnt see anyone getting out of their cars. Thanks!

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by BNF]

QuePasaBaja - 11-16-2006 at 01:51 PM

Take a container. For the most part there is no place to go. And no way to get there. You could leave your wife to drive while you take the walk, and then let her go, but if you dont want to leave her alone, take a container. they guys at the booths are used to seeing it.

El Camote - 11-16-2006 at 02:44 PM

Some years ago this was discussed on this or the amigos board, don't remember which. As I recall, "M" had the most creative solution - hopefully she'll chime in.

If you use a container, make sure it's LARGER than you'd think you'd need, SEALS tightly and doesn't get mistaken for a WATER BOTTLE.

P.S. A plastic bike water bottle is not a good option!!:O:(

DanO - 11-16-2006 at 02:58 PM

Large Gatorade bottle.

DENNIS - 11-16-2006 at 02:59 PM

Santo Tomas vino tinto, gallon size. Be sure you pour out the pee that came with the bottle.

DanO - 11-16-2006 at 04:01 PM

Dennis strikes again! I find the wider mouth of the Gatorade bottle to be more, uh, accomodating.

DENNIS - 11-16-2006 at 04:06 PM

Im speechless........

bancoduo - 11-16-2006 at 04:26 PM

Drill a hole in the floorboard and install a tube and funnel.:light:

stevodadevo - 11-16-2006 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo

We have a winner!!!

Containers

MrBillM - 11-16-2006 at 05:43 PM

Back in my Bad, Old days when I was still working and had to endure the long Sunday Night lines at the Garita in Downtown Mexicali, I used to buy the "Tupperware" type Juice containers at the Market for around 99 cents and, when filled, I enjoyed tossing them over the International fence into the U.S. Somehow, it gave me great pleasure to pay the U.S. Customs back a little for the wait. Of Course, I guess it was the Muni workers in Calexico who had to deal with it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

toneart - 11-16-2006 at 06:14 PM

I had this problem waiting 2 1/2 hours at the San Ysidro crossing a couple of years ago. At the time I had a Mini-Winnie on a toyota truck chassis. Well, you get the picture....it sits lower than most vehicles offering a clear view to most adjacent or passing vehicles. The only container I had was a small bottle of water. Until now I had never particularly been concerned with the following cliche...but,uh, all I can say is that size does matter. No, no, no....I'm talking about the bottle. Ahem, lets move on, shall we?

Here I am, driving with one hand. The line does keep moving and you can't just sit there and not drive forward. With the other hand I am trying to unbutton. Trust me, this is not easy. Oh God....they are all looking at me. So I wrestle with my shirt. I had to take it off and then nonchalantly, but quickly, and I mean quickly...the urgency is unbearable at this point, I throw the shirt over my lap. I tell myself, "Don't make eye contact with anyone." (casting my eyes upward and whistling helps) By this time, I'm positive that all the onlookers must think I'm a pervert.

I'm going to end the story here because the rest was not pretty. The only thing I will say is that it is logistically impossible to pee into a small bottle, while driving without having to open the door afterward and empty out your shoes.:no:

Mexitron - 11-16-2006 at 06:32 PM

I've always thought it amazing they didn't have at least some outhouses for the border-crossers.

The funnel and tubing idea is perfect! We've used that setup before, eh, but not at the border.

woody with a view - 11-16-2006 at 06:43 PM

in the tj line at the last bridge at the pedestrian crossing area there is a pay toilet. +/- $.50 nice and clean. ask the vendors. too bad it's almost in the U. S.!!!

wiating in line on the way to the otay x-ing there is a baseball field where there are usually little league games on the weekends. ask the parking attendant or just walk towards the middle of the fields while your vehicle moves 150 feet in 20 minutes. by the concession stand there is a funky bathroom. bring your own "wipe 'em".:o

[Edited on 11-17-2006 by woody in ob]

DavidT - 11-16-2006 at 08:43 PM

A few years ago my boss and his buddies bought a big ceramic Tweety Bird from a vendor and knocked his head off. I don't remember if Tweety made it across the border.

FARASHA - 11-17-2006 at 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevodadevo
Quote:

We have a winner!!!

HM, not yet - this might work for you guys, WHAT about us females??

What I do if I KNOW it's gonna be LOOOOOOOONG before getting a chance for a private moment - I stop drinking 1 hour before, make sure I use last chance to go to a loo. Usuallly that worked out well, even when it was VERY hot, and we had to drink.
During the time out period- I was then just sipping little amounts of stuff that wouldn't enforce my kidneys filtersystem ( nothing toooo sweet, no Caffein, or alcoholic beverages). ie Gatorade/ Mineralwater is good. Keeps you hydrated without creating urgent needs soon.
my 2cents.

[Edited on 17-11-2006 by FARASHA]

DENNIS - 11-17-2006 at 08:01 AM

Well Farasha, I guess you could replace the drivers seat with a toilet, water-saver type, of course. Get the padded seat for long distance comfort.

Actually, this solution is 30+ years old

thebajarunner - 11-17-2006 at 08:30 AM

Quote:

The inimitable Mickey Thompson installed just such a pair of 'mechanisms' in his Chevy Baja race truck so that he and son Danny would not have to climb out during the races.
(Too bad Mickey always broke down before he got to try it out)

FARASHA - 11-17-2006 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Well Farasha, I guess you could replace the drivers seat with a toilet, water-saver type, of course. Get the padded seat for long distance comfort.

:lol::lol::lol: NOW THAT WOULD BE THE BEST SOLUTION!!:lol:

Paula - 11-17-2006 at 09:50 AM

I'll keep my car seat thank you:biggrin:

I'm hoping that M will post her solution mentioned above.

FARASHA - 11-17-2006 at 09:55 AM

:?: I've been waiting for it - it's good fun when she comes up with something :biggrin:

bajarich - 11-17-2006 at 09:56 AM

Farasha, How about a bedpan? I'll bet them make them out of plastic and one could be carried for "emergencies".

4 Females

MrBillM - 11-17-2006 at 10:19 AM

Sporty's Pilot Shop. www.sportys.com

LilJohn.jpg - 11kB

FARASHA - 11-17-2006 at 10:38 AM

alright - BNF will appreciate this tools as much :biggrin:

I'm stilllauging my socks off.
AND the Bedpan is still a cheap option for ME - can bring it home from WORK :lol: and return it after the trip.

kellychapman - 11-17-2006 at 05:51 PM

hold it............:no:..but I love the bedpan idea as a perfect idea.......once when my mom and I got stuck in a line heading toward Vegas and mom used the flour pot we were happen to have in the car.....I guess anything big enough to put you butt on.....so make sure all your weight limits will hold up for you should you need it....LMAO :bounce: as you can see the bouncing is not a good idea in this situation...

Hope the "flour" was not later used for baking

thebajarunner - 11-17-2006 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kellychapman
hold it............:no:..but I love the bedpan idea as a perfect idea.......once when my mom and I got stuck in a line heading toward Vegas and mom used the flour pot we were happen to have in the car.....I guess anything big enough to put you butt on.....so make sure all your weight limits will hold up for you should you need it....LMAO :bounce: as you can see the bouncing is not a good idea in this situation...

Al G - 11-17-2006 at 08:25 PM

Make friends with a motorhome owner (me) and cross with them:rolleyes:

Bruce R Leech - 11-17-2006 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
...or with a 5th Wheeler, like us. I even have magazines....

hang a sign on the door next time.

pee for a dollar:lol:

Diver - 11-17-2006 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Make friends with a motorhome owner (me) and cross with them:rolleyes:

Two years ago we pulled over off the side of the road with our camp trailer about 1/2 hour south of Catavinia so our then 3 year old could go in the back to do his stuff. As my wife dissapeared into the trailer with the little man, a car drove up and a man got in a hurry and asked "do you have a bathroom my wife can use ? I'll pay."
Apparently his wife was a bit shy and in real need of relief;
she could barely walk !
We obliged for no fee.

Good memory Camote

M - 11-19-2006 at 06:04 AM

I had a great Grunt Chevy van and my solution was to drill a hole in the floor near the drivers seat. I then put a transmission funnel in it when needed. It was about the same hight as my seat, so, when needed, I would just slide my butt off to the right and take care of business. I'm a woman by the way. It was so easy and un-obvious that I could still yak at the venders with them being non the wiser (unless the ground tilted their way, LOL). Be sure to wear a skirt or sarong on border days. I also have a small rectangle trash can bungied next to the drivers seat, in an emergency, you could just as easily slide over onto that. Now, as far as a #2 problem, the trash can would work, but it would REALLY have to be an emergency.
Not a very delicate subject matter, but, it's a fact of life and I was glad on a few occasions that I figured that problem out before it became a real problem. Good luck,
M

Bob and Susan - 11-19-2006 at 07:48 AM

i'm NEVER getting ot of my car at the border NOW!!!

YUK!!!

Don Alley - 11-19-2006 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
I had a great Grunt Chevy van and my solution was to drill a hole in the floor near the drivers seat. I then put a transmission funnel in it when needed. It was about the same hight as my seat, so, when needed, I would just slide my butt off to the right and take care of business. I'm a woman by the way. It was so easy and un-obvious that I could still yak at the venders with them being non the wiser (unless the ground tilted their way, LOL). Be sure to wear a skirt or sarong on border days. I also have a small rectangle trash can bungied next to the drivers seat, in an emergency, you could just as easily slide over onto that. Now, as far as a #2 problem, the trash can would work, but it would REALLY have to be an emergency.
Not a very delicate subject matter, but, it's a fact of life and I was glad on a few occasions that I figured that problem out before it became a real problem. Good luck,
M

And I thought it was a radiator leaking antifreeze.

toneart - 11-19-2006 at 11:51 AM

Summanus,

ref: When in Rome

At least he got his shoes out of the way. Wish I were that agile.

Oh oh....looks like trouble coming in from the left of the photo.:O

FARASHA - 11-19-2006 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by M
M

And I thought it was a radiator leaking antifreeze.

I always thought it's from the Aircon- Hm, tells me how easily one can be wrong!!:lol:

Now I wonder how that guy on the bench manages NOT to stain his clothes once the pressure gets less ??:?::light::bounce:

Paula - 11-19-2006 at 12:06 PM

Something tells me he doesn't worry about that too much Farasha!:lol:

Edit: This was an insensitive post on my part, and I am sorry. There really is nothing funny about this person's circumstances.

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by Paula]

From the looks of it Farasha,

M - 11-19-2006 at 12:07 PM

I don't think that poor ba**ard is worried about ANYTHING let alone staining his clothes. From the other puddle behind him, I'm guessing he was there for a while, eventually not even able to stand.

FARASHA - 11-19-2006 at 12:19 PM

Since M posted HER solution, I have been tossing this problem - could I or NOT. Coming to the end - I simply COULD NOT - I envy M that she can. I rather would have my bladder burst I guess.
Traveling a lot, I did have this problem couple times - and it gave me really some pain occasionally, BUT I just can't in public.:cool::coolup::no:
Lets see if BNF will be able to convince his wife to give it a try.:biggrin:

I understand Farasha...

M - 11-19-2006 at 01:51 PM

When I started dating my first husband, we used to fly every weekend in his Mooney airplane. That was a lot of fun, HOWEVER, the transit was a bit taxing at times. Imagine being closed up in an old VW beetle, windows up, with narrower seats. Now, imagine you have to pee REAL BAD.
Being a new relationship, I was nowhere near ready to perform the required contortions to drop drawers, let alone PEE in front of him yet....So, like you Farasha, I suffered...deeply.
Well, one weekend, on our way to Mammoth for ourfirstover-nighter together, I was faced with this exact problem. DAMN! I had drunk NOTHING, not even my morning coffee, had gone before we took off, took every precaution. Well, I had no choice but to get over it. Luckily, Doug kept a coffee can in the plane for just such emergencies. Works great if your a man, not so much if your a woman. Those are some pretty sharp edges around that can, and I won't explain the visions running in my head regarding the outcome of a little turbulance. Anyway, while doing the deed, I could see Doug in my peripheral vision trying to control himself. He was smart enough to figure out that if he laughed out loud, chances are good he wasn't going to get real lucky that weekend, but then, if he didn't bust loose with some guffaws, he was probably going to rupture something important anyway, so you can see his problem.
He wisely turned his head all the way to the left so I couldn't see his face and vice versa, but I saw his body shaking....
It's funny now, but believe it or not, I was still somewhat shy when I was 22.
M

DianaT - 11-19-2006 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Well, this might have been the perfect border crossing car, the famous Louis Mattar's Touring Car. They drove non-stop from Alaska to Mexico city in 1954---could even change a tire while moving, and yes it had a toliet.

The chemical toliet went in where the washing machine sits. Heck, while one waits, they could do the laundry and ironing instead of waiting until getting home.

Happy border wait
Diane

DENNIS - 11-19-2006 at 02:22 PM

Now see? That guy up there has been through the border before. He knows what to do.

FARASHA - 11-19-2006 at 02:31 PM

DIANE - cozy little potty :lol: I just imagine now a bumpy road - Yuk:P
But like the idea of getting the ironing done while doing business :tumble:

M:- well I have been there too - will tell you one day MY stories of embarrassments - but not here - am still shy in that respect. :yes::rolleyes:

capn.sharky - 11-19-2006 at 09:28 PM

DanO---you are lucky. I usually just hang it out the window and go. However, one time I ran over it with my back tire. (first liar doesn't have a chance) Bent the rim and ruined a shock.

And there it is...

M - 11-20-2006 at 05:20 AM

I was wondering when the 'specially endowed' crowd would show up. :lol:

How are you doing Capn?

BIG hugs to you,
M

fishnbaja1 - 11-20-2006 at 09:26 PM

"At the time I had a Mini-Winnie"

" The only thing I will say is that it is logistically impossible to pee into a small bottle, while driving without having to open the door afterward and empty out your shoes.:no:"

I think the problem is having a "Mini-Winnie."

Diver - 11-20-2006 at 09:31 PM

Need a WIDE mouth jar !! and deep too !! :biggrin:

toneart - 11-20-2006 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishnbaja1
"At the time I had a Mini-Winnie"

" The only thing I will say is that it is logistically impossible to pee into a small bottle, while driving without having to open the door afterward and empty out your shoes.:no:"

I think the problem is having a "Mini-Winnie."

Au contrere! Had that been the problem it would have been much easier and my shoes would have been dry. Oh....it's difficult being modest.;)

FARASHA - 11-20-2006 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
[ Oh....it's difficult being modest.;)

Thats not really requested here - :biggrin: Or the thread would have stopped way back!!!!!!:lol: