BajaNomad

Santa Rosalia Tournament

Pescador - 11-19-2006 at 10:00 AM

Saturday was the Governor's Cup Fishing Tournament at Santa Rosalia. Divisions included shore fishing for infants through adults, A Squid tournament held Friday Night, and a Yellowtail and Dorado tournament held Saturday. Prizes were around $10,000 pesos for first place and the winner of the squid tourney won a new panga and motor.
It was really heartwarming to see a 6 year old win $5,000 pesos for a 2-3 pound pargo caught on a hand line. And you can just imagine the look on the face of the fisherman who won a new 22 ft. panga and 4-stroke Suzuki motor.
Dorado fishing is pretty slow here now and it was difficult to find enough fish to win the 3 places.
Yellowtail fishing was another story and the Moosea Boat from San Lucas Cove won 1st and 2nd place. David Hughes had the big fish with a 34.6 pound yellowtail and Mario Salazar from San Bruno took second place with a real nice 33.6 lb fish.
Everyone really had a great time and although we did not do very well with squid, we had so much fun going out and trying that we will remember our experience for a long time, and that is what it is all about anyway

Hook - 11-20-2006 at 11:06 PM

Good job putting em on the fish, Jim! Congrats on the win.

Did the fall Mulege tournament happen this year? I didnt see any mention of it.

Bob and Susan - 11-21-2006 at 06:36 AM

the mulege tourny is in December...

here's the link
http://www.mulegeclassictournaments.com/

Hook - 11-21-2006 at 09:53 AM

Well, then they must have moved it back this year cause I fished in it last year and it was early November.

Thanks B&S.

BTW, which one of you posts the most under this name; B or S? I never know who I'm typing at.

Pescador - 11-21-2006 at 03:36 PM

They try to keep the tournament dates secret from the San Lucas Boys

:bounce::lol:;D

Skipjack Joe - 11-22-2006 at 03:09 PM

Congratulations Jim!!!

The first time I read your post I wasn't aware that the "Moosea" was your boat.

Moosea - is that for "Moose at sea"?

Pescador - 11-24-2006 at 06:31 PM

No Gene Kira asked me about this too and it was posted on Mexfish.
Marika is a long time Alaska afficionado and collects "moose stuff" for our log house in Colorado. When we got our first baja boat, she said let's call it the Moosie Boat since her car is called the Moosie Mobile with personalized plates that read "Moosie". So we figured (read that as too much time on our hands) that we would name the boat the the Moosea which has the same pronunciation as moosie but is spelled to reflect the SEA. So it stuck, even with the new boat:yes::rolleyes:/
Today we managed to bring on board a 149.6 pound Gulf Grouper.

Cypress - 11-25-2006 at 06:28 AM

Nice grouper Pescador!:bounce: What was the depth and bait?:)

Bob and Susan - 11-25-2006 at 06:33 AM

where is a picture???

thats a lot of fish

dean miller - 11-25-2006 at 06:55 AM

J&M,

Betty sends her congratuations all the way from Toronto Candada and I from CenCal.

Great fish!

See you at Christmas!

SDM

THE FISH

losfrailes - 11-25-2006 at 01:42 PM

Jim asked me to post this picture of he and THE BEEG FEESH!

jimresized.jpg - 43kB

Cypress - 11-25-2006 at 02:24 PM

A fish of a lifetime!!!:bounce:

losfrailes - 11-25-2006 at 02:59 PM

For sure bigger than anything in Lake Coeur D'Alene, huh?