BajaNomad

San Lucas Cove FISH

Pescador - 11-25-2006 at 12:41 PM

Fishing has been so good one day that you want to cry and so bad the next day that you do cry. Two days ago, we could not keep the big yellowtail off of our lines and managed a big fish almost every drop. Yesterday it was pretty slow and we only had one yellowtail and two leopard grouper in the boat, but it was such a nice day that we decided to soak baits for awhile and enjoy the day. My wife, Marika, decided to lay back and I think she started to drift off so I was watching her rod. It started to twitch and I figured a small cabrilla or something as it was not the slam of a yellowtail. I gave the fish a chance to really get ahold of the bait before setting the hook, and when I did set the hook all hell broke loose, and this fish started towing me around the ocean. I had a heck of a time getting it into the boat and when I got to shore we weighed it on the squidder's scale (which is notoriously short in weight) at 68.5 kilos which would put it at 149.6 pounds. So we know it weighed at least that much.

Russ - 11-25-2006 at 01:19 PM

Pictures Jim Pictures!

comitan - 11-25-2006 at 01:25 PM

What kind of fish??????????

Pictures of THE BEEG FEESH!! SHEESH!

losfrailes - 11-25-2006 at 01:30 PM

Jim asked me to post this of he and THE FISH!!

jimresized.jpg - 43kB

Jim & grooper

dean miller - 11-25-2006 at 06:44 PM

GOOD LOOKING FISH!

(No comments on the man!)

dm

Bob and Susan - 11-25-2006 at 06:49 PM

that's an ULGY fish:lol:

BIG!!!

the man no comment also:lol::lol:

Sallysouth - 11-25-2006 at 09:26 PM

But wasn't that supposed to by Your Wifes' fish??? :?: Good story but I bet theres more to it!! Whopper of a Blackie!:bounce:

Diver - 11-25-2006 at 09:34 PM

Must be republican.
A democrat would have released that "jewfish" :biggrin:
Maybe sent him home with a few new jet fighters.

Nice catch !!
We used to spear them in the gulf, out from Naples, Florida.
Some guys pulled in up to 250 pounders !

Russ - 11-26-2006 at 06:53 AM

By Marika's fish did you mean you used her for bait. If so, let her out of that Big fish.

Tomas Tierra - 11-26-2006 at 10:45 AM

its not really looking like a Black Sea Bass to me.. do we have a possitive ID on that wopper??? Some sort of Grouper??

That almost big enough for "cheek burgers"....yuuuuuum!!

Don Alley - 11-26-2006 at 12:43 PM

Looks like a Gulf Grouper. Description and photo here:
http://www.mexfish.com/fish/ggroup/ggroup.htm

There is a higher resolution photo on Bloodydecks.com. Shows the white on the tips of the fins.

Pescador - 11-26-2006 at 02:58 PM

You are absolutely right, it is a gulf grouper. The marks are pretty distinctive. Actually, I made a custom rod for Marika with a short handle section and a really fast action tip, so the rod did not fit me at all. It is bad enough to go after one of these big boys with all the right equipment, but to use rod that was built for someone else is kinda like going elephant hunting with a 30-06.
I would have released this fish (for all those so inclined) but when you bring one from the depths like this, their air bladder blows up and looks like a football hanging out their mouth. I did feel good that this one just happened to be a male, which is unusual on a big fish.
Everyone in camp had a chunk of grouper and my friends in the little town of San Lucas were very happy. There was some kinda contest to see who would get the head and carcass for soup but Mrs. Camacho was the clear winner.:lol::lol::lol: