BajaNomad

Las Tres Virgenes

villadelfin - 11-26-2006 at 12:52 AM

Jesse and Aldosalato's new restaurant proves to be a groundbreaking experience for the La Paz restaurant scene. I chose mesquite grilled baby octopus for my appetizer. The octopi had been marinated lightly then flame grilled over not mesquite charcoal but mesquite logs. It was accompanied by a chipotle cucumber cream and cabo 100 tomatoes. Kate (Morgaine 7) had shrimp and scallop gratin and the others had the baby shrimp with mushrooms. Diane had the Cabrillo over garlic mint mashed potatoes with sunflower seed crust, Phyllis had Chilean Salmon with Todos Santos Honey Glaze, Bill had the roasted pork tenderloin and I had three Angus medallions over white corn polenta. The wine list was indeed special and thoughtfully priced. We all had the flan as dessert. We can't wait to go back

Bruce R Leech - 11-26-2006 at 07:37 AM

congratulations to Jesse and Aldosalato's for opening there new restaurant.

jerry - 11-26-2006 at 08:11 AM

hmmm looks like great food with a flare congrats Jesse and good luck

FARASHA - 11-26-2006 at 08:15 AM

YUMMY - looks tempting!!
One more reason to opt for La Paz! Just for the record - any dessert with lots of Chocolate ? (I'm an addict and will need my daily fix!). GOOD LUCK!! May your Business flourish!

[Edited on 26-11-2006 by FARASHA]

Ken Bondy - 11-26-2006 at 08:36 AM

JESSE

Muy buena suerte amigo!! Felicidades, ++Ken++

DENNIS - 11-26-2006 at 09:03 AM

Man .... That is some good looking food but, why do they serve it in ashtrays?

dean miller - 11-26-2006 at 09:51 AM

FANTASIC!

Baja and Mexican food has departed the 19 century and rocketed in to the 21 century!

Bravo!

DM

vandenberg - 11-26-2006 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Man .... That is some good looking food but, why do they serve it in ashtrays?

You the comedian in your family or haven't you eaten in a decent restaurant in a decade or so ??

DENNIS - 11-26-2006 at 01:31 PM

I just cant get used to square plates....... or square hamburgers.

Iflyfish - 11-28-2006 at 11:29 AM

Oh, man...........drooool.

You could serve that on a turtles back for all I car, heck I'd even eat that with my fingers.

Iflyfish when not lusting after Las Tres Virgenes food!

JESSE - 11-28-2006 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I just cant get used to square plates....... or square hamburgers.

I have round plates as well for you DENNIS, hope you show up one of these days.

DENNIS - 11-28-2006 at 12:02 PM

Thanks Jesse ........... I'll look forward to it especially if the food tastes half as good as it looks.

Las Tres Virgenes

MJS2 - 12-4-2006 at 02:19 PM

Las Tres Virgenes served the finest dinner we've had in La Paz in 23 years! CHicken breast in a mildy spicy sauce, crusted cabrilla, crab enchiladas, salmon dinner all worthy of 4 stars. I sort of hate to rave about the gorgeous place, it'll probably hard to get in too soon. MJS2

Whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeee

bajajudy - 12-4-2006 at 04:30 PM

I cannot wait to try your new place, Jesse. Everything looks delicious.
See you soon....I hope

Buen provecho!

oxxo - 12-4-2006 at 04:52 PM

Jesse, please save a table for 4 in the non-smoking section. We'll be in during Christmas week. Will there be any holiday tamales on the menu? :bounce:

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by oxxo]

Jack Swords - 12-14-2006 at 07:53 AM

Spent last night at Reasaurant Las Tres Virgenes. Met Jesse and thoroughly enjoyed the food and service. What a great addition to La Paz. This is one restaurant you cannot miss!! Top notch presentation and food. Service unexcelled. If in La Paz, be certain to have dinner at this restaurant.

Cypress - 12-14-2006 at 09:00 AM

Yummy! Good to see that grits/polenta are enjoyed south of the border.;)

JESSE - 12-14-2006 at 12:38 PM

Thank you everybody. We opened our restaurant a little over two weeks ago with no advertising at all, just the idea of focusing on making quality Mexi-Baja food and having fun in the process. So far the results have exceded our expectations. And locals, expats, and tourists, seem to like the Baja atmosphere we have created. Wich tells me that Baja has its own style, appart from what you find in mainland Mexico.

This is a great time for us that work in the culinary field here in Baja. We are a part of a new wave of restaurants with young chefs and owners that spread from Tijuana to La Paz, who are focusing on creating a professional identity for our Baja cuisine. And foreigners have and continue to make huge contributions to our new cuisine. Baja is to Mexico cuisine as California was to US cuisine back in the 1970s.

What is Mexican Baja food?

Its similar to Baja. Its Mexican, but not completely, its more simple, laid back, fresh, and special. It has hints of the Mediterranean because of our many Italian and French immigrants, it has a touch of mainland Mexico, a sprinkle of asia from our many Chinese communities, and a solid base of great local ingredients, herbs, spices, and seafood. And the can do attitude and style of anything is possible from our proximity to California and the many expats that have lived here for decades.

las tres virgenes

bajajazz - 12-18-2006 at 01:25 PM

My wife and I enjoyed the best restaurant meal we've ever had anywhere on the Baja Peninsula at Las Tres Virgenes, located at the corner of Madero and Constitucion in La Paz.
I had the honey-glazed salmon over a nicely seasoned bed of polenta and my lady enjoyed delicious grilled chicken in a jalapeno sauce. Very original cuisine, excellent presentation, wait staff unusually professional. I was perhaps most impressed by how smoothly this brand new operation was run, none of the usual awkward screwups that accompany the opening of most new restaurants. My only complaint was the music system, a little too loud and it interfered with our dinnertime conversation. Jesus was very obliging in turning it down a notch so we could converse more easily. It's obvious Las Tres Virgenes is a winner and sets a new standard for restaurants in La Paz.

Iflyfish - 2-11-2007 at 04:56 PM

Tres Virgenes Restaurant in La Paz Mexico

We visited the Tres Virgenes on two occasions during our stay in La Paz.

“We tried to capture the feel of Baja Mexico.” “Baja Mexico is different; to be a Baja Restaurant is not to have multi colored chairs and oil cloth table coverings.” Jessie, one of the owners of this new La Paz restaurant says. He is young, and contemporary, as is his staff and his English is excellent. He grew up and spent most of his life in Tijuana. He is getting used to the more laid-back style of La Paz. “No murder in the news, a stolen bicycle, and that is about it!” he says with some wonder still on his face. He is proud of his choice to settle here.

Jessie is young and so are most of his staff and they are eager to please.

You walk into the restaurant and your attention is immediately focused on a glowing red mesquite grill that occasionally spits out enough embers to let you know that this is a real working grill. The grill provides an olfactory grace note to the modern Mexican mood music that plays in the background. One is aware of color; orange, brown, burnt amber, umbra, the earth tones that reflect the land of the Baja. The architecture captures the air, space, and openness of Baja. A tasteful open beamed canopy covers half of the seating area and the other half of the room is open to the stars. One finds a large open window framing lovely desert foliage. There is almost a Zen quality to the austere, yet elegant taste of the décor. The ubiquitous exposed antique brick wall forms the boundary of the open-air eating area; Desert Chic.

I will comment on the bathrooms. I have eaten in too many Mexican restaurants where I had to fight c-ckroaches for my turn at the porcelain princess. The bathrooms are spotlessly clean, well lighted, and well appointed. Square white sinks with faucets that actually work allow one to wash their hands with dispenser soap and paper towels in abundance. A small jar, holding what looks like joss sticks sits decoratively beside the sink. The air is fresh and clean. At my age and stage, one appreciates these things in a quality restaurant. The care of the restroom also says to me something about a restaurants concern for cleanliness and sanitation. I like to see lots of soap, water, and paper towels in a restaurant were I know the staff washes their hands. They are all here and in abundance, and elegantly presented.

Jessie is obviously proud of what he has accomplished over the year that it has taken for this place to be up and running. The tables are all full the Tuesday evening we go there for dinner. The place opens at five and closes at eleven. He comes to our table and introduces himself. He is articulate, his English impeccable and his taste is sophisticated.

The menu is extensive offering fish, poultry, regional cuisine, lamb, pork, and beef. On both visits, we had an exquisite scallop/shrimp/mushroom appetizer made with a tequila sauce and then covered with Japanese breading. The servings were then broiled. This offering was cooked on scallop shells that kept the food hot until the end. The scallops were tender, unusual for us on the Baja and the shrimp plump and sweet. The sauce did not over power the flavors of the scallops and shrimp. I found myself wiping the empty seashell with the garlic bread that accompanied this dish. I kept trying to identify the many flavors, including chipotle, which emerged in the long finish of this dish. The presentation was lovely.

The one criticism of the décor that I would muster is that the lighting in this dinner restaurant is low in the open-air section. It is difficult to see and appreciate the lovely presentation of the dishes, the squiggly lines of the sauces, the colors of the garnishes, the lovely colors of the regional dishes. When I informed Jessie of this observation, he concurred and said he intends to add lighting to that section of the house when he finds the appropriate fixtures, which are limited in this region of the country.

I had the best lobster that I have so far eaten on the Baja, fifteen or so at last count, and was disappointed that I could not see it well enough to take the meat out of the shell on my own. The waiter was most obliging with that task. The lobster was first roasted over the mesquite flame and then finished on the grill. The meat was slightly charred and the center moist and sweet. A butter dip accompanied the large size lobster that was presented in halves on a large platter accompanied by rice and beans. The second time we visited, one of our friends ordered the lobster and his account of it was the same as mine.

Both evenings our dishes were delivered to the table hot and at the same time. One can see the enthusiastic and busy pace of the kitchen staff in the open kitchen that takes up one wall of the restaurant.

On our initial visit, four of us ordered the Caesar Salad and three different entrées. The Caesar salad was the disappointment of the evening. It was palatable, though the dressing was of a homogenized quality that did not allow one to taste the individual ingredients. The lettuce was whole leaf and somewhat wilted. I like a Caesar that is made at the table. A good coddled egg is cracked into a bowl that has been rubbed with anchovy. A good quality olive oil is then poured in and fresh squeezed lemon juice is then added to the dish. Some lemon zest left in the mixture can add a surprise to some bites. Large flakes of fresh cracked pepper are then sprinkled into the bowl. Then comes the fresh, crisp hearts of Romaine lettuce that are torn and tossed into the bowl. The entire salad is then tossed and at the end liberal portions of a good Parmesan cheese is grated onto this delicacy. They have the skill in this house to do this the original way and I hope that they will one day do so. At $10 US there is ample budget in this dish to allow for table side preparation.

The fish enchiladas were superb. Generous pieces of fresh, succulent fish were delicious in their corn tortilla blankets. The mild Cilantro sauce that covered them was creamy and mild. Each piece of fish maintained its unique flavor and was not overpowered by the sauce. The sauce was of a pale green color with flakes of fresh cilantro as garnish, however again the lighting detracted from the appreciation of the colors in this dish. The second visit to Tres Virgenes found us there earlier in the evening and we were able to appreciate more fully the lovely colors of these dishes.

I did not try the chicken dishes, which our guests thoroughly enjoyed. The portions were large and the poultry was reported to be of excellent quality. They emphasized the moistness, freshness, and mesquite flavor that permeated the chicken. They both said that they would return to the restaurant for this dish. They had previously visited to taste the Civiche, the best these long-term Baja residents had ever eaten.

The second selection for me at Tres Virgenes was the Shank of Lamb. The lamb shank is served bone up and takes up nearly the entire plate. It is a spectacular presentation. The lamb is of good quality, though in typical Mexican style a bit overdone for my taste, which runs to rare. The flavor however was excellent. The shank sat atop an ample portion of mashed potatoes smothered by exquisite brown gravy, laced generously with pan seared, caramelized onion. The potatoes alone made the dish worthwhile and their moistness helped this pallet compensate for the well-done nature of the shank. I was not able to complete the entire shank and enough came home with me to produce a couple of very good lamb tacos with a garlic mayonnaise sauce.

We sampled four deserts, Flan, Haggen Das Ice cream, a Red Wine Poached Pear and a Banana/Grande Marne flambé. The flan and Haggen Das were good; the Banana /Grand Marne flambé was superb. All four of us vied for the last morsel of this wonderful desert. The poached pear, though tasty, was touch and not pealed. By not pealing the pear and allowing enough time for it to soften, it came out tough and had to be cut with a knife. I like poached pears that are pealed and then poached in their sauce until soft and imbued throughout with the poaching sauce. The sauce in this case was delicious; however, it did not permeate the pear.

Our first dinner was topped off with a delightful Italian Lemon Liquor, Lemoncello, which cleaned the pallet and provided us a lovely after dinner glow. We considered a Chilean Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, but it was not chilled at the time. It is indicative of the depth of selection available at Tres Virgenes.

We purchased two rounds of c-cktails and the total bill came to near $150 US. I consider this a reasonable price for a fine dining experience for four. The second dinner for four was without drinks and the total was in the range of $100 US.

We talked extensively with Jessie about his wine cellar. He has an extraordinary selection of wines that are priced between $15 – $150 US and there is a good one for anyone’s budget. California, Chile, and Mexico are well represented in his collection. Jessie knows his wines and exposes his staff to them. “I am opening a bottle per week to share with my staff so they know what they are serving.”

We will return and La Paz is blessed to have such a wonderful new restaurant to add to its culinary scene.

Iflyfish

A recipe for disaster

Dave - 2-11-2007 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
I like a Caesar that is made at the table. A good coddled egg is cracked into a bowl that has been rubbed with anchovy.

While in Mexico, I would urge all Nomads to never eat eggs except well cooked. Here, raw eggs aren't refrigerated and rarely dated.

Besides, eggs are not necessary for a proper Caesar salad. Whisking the oil and lemon juice is all that is needed to hold the dressing together.

[Edited on 2-12-2007 by Dave]

Iflyfish - 2-11-2007 at 09:45 PM

Thanks Dave, you make a good point regarding the danger eating eggs that are not well cooked. There have been serious somenella outbreaks in the US also after eating raw or undercooked eggs.

I like my Caesar as they were originaly made and they are hard to find now.

Iflyfish

Mike Supino - 2-11-2007 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
I like a Caesar that is made at the table. A good coddled egg is cracked into a bowl that has been rubbed with anchovy.

While in Mexico, I would urge all Nomads to never eat eggs except well cooked. Here, raw eggs aren't refrigerated and rarely dated.

Oh my!
What were we thinking all those years eating eggs that weren't refridgerated and didn't have those qute date stamps on them?
Oh my!

bajajudy - 2-12-2007 at 09:18 AM

I had the organic spinach salad and it was to die for.
Vale mi dos centavos.

comitan - 2-12-2007 at 03:56 PM

1. The menu lists the Caesar salad $70 pesos.

2. Wilted lettuce is a matter of opinion.

3. I don't think his menu has too many choices.

4. Being a new restaurant you should expect to be slow to start, Tres Virgines has started off with a bang already you need reservations. it is ****+ stars.

IMHO

David K - 2-12-2007 at 05:41 PM

Minnow, don't you think it is only fair to comment on a restaurant only AFTER you have eaten there? In addition, this is a restaurant owned by two friends of this forum/ Baja Nomads (Jesse and Aldo)... Not nice to insult friends if you don't have any personal experience with their restaurant to back up your comments, me thinks...

danaeb - 2-12-2007 at 07:29 PM

Minnow, I agree with DK. You haven't been there and you're dissing the square plates, the extensive menu, blah, blah, blah. I was there with a group of 8 during Christmas week. Some would call the patio lighting dim, I'd call it romantic. None in our group had anything but raves for the food and the service and we're fairly sophisticated diners.

You know how you always judge a restaurant by your favorite standard? In my case, it's flan. Jesse's was the most interesting and inventive I've ever had. Dense and sweet like the classic, but the hint of chile in the syrup was so unexpected. It was the perfect ending to a memorable meal.

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by danaeb]

Jack Swords - 2-13-2007 at 07:31 AM

Well, last night was the 6th time I ate with friends at Jesse's reataurant. We once brought 18 people there. Without exception, everybody has had the highest compiments for the food, service, and surroundings. Nothing like returning customers to attest to a restaurant's success. Jesse is a gracious host in visiting each table and talking to his patrons.

Iflyfish - 2-13-2007 at 11:31 AM

I am sorry that Minnow chose to piggy back on my review of Tres Virgenes, the best restaurant I have yet eaten in on the Baja.

I went to the restaurant twice. We will go again when we next have a chance.

Comitan is right, the salad is $70 pesos on the menu. We had a salad for four. This added to the price.

On our second visit to the restaurant I noticed that they were serving hearts of romaine to other diners and that is what I had hoped for in our initial ordering. We were served leaves rather than hearts. I don't wish to quibble. I calls em as I sees em. I hope I provided an honest reporting of our experience.

Now back to the eggs. I am not one to engage in petty disputes. Or at least I am not well disposed to do so. So let me be clear. For the goddess's sake, do not eat dirty eggs. If you see chicken poop on an egg, please, please wash it. I have found that bleach does an excellent job. Please do not eat raw eggs that have not been cleaned. Enough said.

I hope that this discussion will encourage those who wish for a fine dinning experience to visit Tres Virgenes. You will no doubt be glad you did so.

Iflyfish

JESSE - 2-13-2007 at 01:47 PM

Minnow,

I am sorry your still angry about arguments we had over 2 years ago. I got over it, so should you. Back then i a was a little angry at life, having lost both my mother and father to illness, becoming a sudden father to both my younger brothers, and drowning in debt from medical bills. If i said some things that offended you, i apologize. Just like i left behind all the comments made about me and my family some of wich, many didn't even know, where recently deceased.

I don't run a perfect business, if i did, i would be in the cover of Foodarts making millions. But what i do try to do, is serve great food, at reasonable prices, in a nice and clean place. I welcome all comments about our restaurant, good or bad, specially the bad, because that shows us where we need to improve.

If you are ever in La Paz, stop by and you will see that i am just a regular guy just like most people here. I am not perfect, i am not great, i am just trying to live life the best i can. The pacificos are on me.

mel - 2-13-2007 at 01:52 PM

Four of us had dinner last week at Tres Virgines. We had been hearing so much about the restaurant that I was almost expecting to be disappointed, maybe it had been overhyped. Our La Paz friends all recommended it and had nothing but positive comments. We worked our way through the courses over several hours and couldn't find anything to complain about the food, the service, the decor. It was wonderful and everything we had been told was true. We will be back there shortly.

The Gull - 2-13-2007 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Minnow,

I am sorry your still angry about arguments we had over 2 years ago. I got over it, so should you. Back then i a was a little angry at life, having lost both my mother and father to illness, becoming a sudden father to both my younger brothers, and drowning in debt from medical bills. If i said some things that offended you, i apologize. Just like i left behind all the comments made about me and my family some of wich, many didn't even know, where recently deceased.

I don't run a perfect business, if i did, i would be in the cover of Foodarts making millions. But what i do try to do, is serve great food, at reasonable prices, in a nice and clean place. I welcome all comments about our restaurant, good or bad, specially the bad, because that shows us where we need to improve.

If you are ever in La Paz, stop by and you will see that i am just a regular guy just like most people here. I am not perfect, i am not great, i am just trying to live life the best i can. The pacificos are on me.

Jesse, There are a few more out there besides Me No.

Minnow - 2-13-2007 at 03:46 PM

Just so you know, I really hope you are sincere, and I take that as an apology. I accept. We probably see eye to eye, and have more in common, than can be learned over the internet

I wish you the best in your business, you showed a lot of maturity in your response. All these reviews here could not have happened by accident, even I am smart enough to realize that. Keep up the good work.

JESSE - 2-13-2007 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Just so you know, I really hope you are sincere, and I take that as an apology. I accept. We probably see eye to eye, and have more in common, than can be learned over the internet

I wish you the best in your business, you showed a lot of maturity in your response. All these reviews here could not have happened by accident, even I am smart enough to realize that. Keep up the good work.

I am always sincere, that perhaps is a problem in todays world. So like i said, you have an open invitation at our restaurant anytime, you will be surprised at how diferent real people are compared to their online personality.

vgabndo - 2-13-2007 at 06:27 PM

Minnow...you just SOARED in my estimation if that makes the slightest difference to you.

Iflyfish - 2-14-2007 at 09:51 AM

Jessie,

In my review of your restaurant I failed to mention your graciousness which is both evident in meeting you and in your response on this thread.

I look forward to coming to your restaurant again.

Iflyfishwhennotsuggestingthatpeoplewipepoopofftheireggsbeforeeatingthem

tripledigitken - 2-14-2007 at 10:03 AM

Jesse,

I too following this thread am impressed with how you have handled the criticism, and are ready "to make nice" with some.

Your restaurant will be our first dinner when we get to La Paz on our next trip. Look forward to sampling some of your wines as well as the food.

After reading your review of Savarios in TJ we went there for dinner. We also found it to be an excellent restaurant. Ambiance, extensive wine list, food preparation at a high level, gracious service, and fair prices. (Appetizers, salad, main course, dessert, bottle of wine $70 us for 2.)

No one has paid me for this endorsment by the way.

Good luck with your restaurant.

Ken

oxxo - 2-14-2007 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
If i said some things that offended you, i apologize

The Las Tres Virgenes restaurant is just as classy as its owners.

Quote:

But what i do try to do, is serve great food, at reasonable prices, in a nice and clean place.

Now that is an understatement!!!!!! I have eaten in some mighty fine restaurants all over the world. LTV is among my 5 favorites.

Go to this restaurant. You wont be disappointed. Ask for Jesse. Meeting Jesse is part of the dining experience.

Keep up the good work Jesse and Aldo.

wrk - 4-13-2007 at 10:43 AM

Can someone please tell me what days Tres Virgenes is closed. We are considering Sunday or Monday night - and will we need reservations? If so, anyone have the phone number? Thanks.

Paula - 4-13-2007 at 11:08 AM

The phone number is 612-165-6265. Reservations are a good idea.
We were in La Paz recently and ate at La Pazta on Monday because Tres Virgenes was closed that night, and at Tres Virgenes on Tuesday.

Both places had great food and atmosphere.

Happy eating!

wrk - 4-13-2007 at 02:28 PM

Are they open Sunday night?

JESSE - 4-13-2007 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrk
Are they open Sunday night?

Yes we are, we only close on mondays, but that should change in a couple of months.

wrk - 4-25-2007 at 06:09 PM

We had a terrific meal at Tres Virgenes and can highly recommend it. Only one caveat - don't bring your own wine. Corkage is $25.00!!!! That is substantially more than most restaurants in the gourmet ghetto of Napa Valley, let alone San Francisco. We were not told in advance and when we brought it to the attention of managment, they graciously removed it from our bill. We will go back as often as we can get to La Paz and encourage one and all to try it out. Very innovative food in a pleasant environment and very well priced.

Alan - 4-25-2007 at 06:11 PM

There is no need to bring your own wine. They have a pretty respectable cellar.

vandenberg - 4-28-2007 at 09:45 AM

Had dinner at Jesse's last Tuesday. Was everything it was made out to be. Excellent food, well presented with a more then gracious host. Amazing what he has done with that place in such a short time. We had reservations for 7 pm and by 7.30 the place was pretty much full, and by 8 o'clock several folks, without reservations, had to be turned away. And this on a Tuesday. Way to go Jesse !! The place has replaced my wife's # 1 spot, Los Arcos dining room, as the new # 1. Looks like you're on your way to a riproaring succes Jesse. Keep up the good work.

Can't wait to go back

yates - 6-18-2007 at 03:32 PM

Took the in-laws to La Paz with us in March. Their first trip. Our dinner at Tres Virgenes was fantastic. Beautiful decor, wonderful service. We had the grilled octupus appetizer, lobster, crab enchiladas... great bottle of wine. Will definitely make reservations next time we're in town.

kellychapman - 6-18-2007 at 07:03 PM

omg I have to come home to Loreto so we can hurry down to our friends (they think we will be coming to see them...hahahaha) but we will surprise them for a treat to this fantastic looking place to order everything we see here and even what Iflyfish had too......:wow: