BajaNomad

nueva york deli

sylens - 11-28-2006 at 06:09 PM

finally got a chance to try it last friday. we went with friends, a mexican couple, and all four of us were very happy with the pastrami on rye, the reuben, the salami, and the turkey on multigrain. our friends repeatedly commented on how different the meats taste from what they are used to. and they liked the rye bread too. but i still have not found a translation for caraway seeds, in response to their question about the granitos in the rye bread. any helpers?

David K - 11-28-2006 at 06:32 PM

The owner of that Deli is Baja Nomad 'Dave'... He should be able to answer.

bigboy - 11-28-2006 at 07:17 PM

Well...........where is it located?

Bruce R Leech - 11-28-2006 at 07:58 PM

yes some one needs to give good directions from which of ramp to take on to Dave's Deli

Bajabus - 11-28-2006 at 08:24 PM

Daves New York deli is a great stop. fantastic food, great desserts and an all around nice bunch of owners and workers. I keep loosing bets to Dave but I still love him and that place. Right now I owe him two bottles of cazadores...shesh.

I don't know how to describe getting there..I just kinda go and seem to always find it.

bajaguy - 11-28-2006 at 08:46 PM

The deli is located in the "strip mall" right in front of the New Port Beach hotel, just south of the "Lobster Village" of Puerto Nuevo on the free road. There should be an exit on the toll road for Puerto Nuevo.

[Edited on 11-29-2006 by bajaguy]

elgatoloco - 11-29-2006 at 10:39 AM

...or you can get off at Cantamar exit and head north, then it is on the left.

The BEST pastrami I have had anywhere.

JESSE - 11-29-2006 at 03:07 PM

Definately the best Deli in Baja.

DanO - 11-29-2006 at 03:39 PM

Ahhh, but how are the pickles?

CP - 11-30-2006 at 04:13 PM

OK, enough already. Gotta have it. Friends are driving down from US to visit us in BCS in a few weeks. What time does the deli open? They are stopping in RB and I am going to ask them to pick us up some pastrami sandwiches on the way down. Two days in the cooler won't be the best thing for these goodies but I am sure they will be enjoyed with much pleasure anyways.
Thanks....
CP

the pickles

sylens - 12-1-2006 at 04:51 PM

are outstanding dill spears. our mexican friends, upon seeing them, asked if they were calabasitas. i explained they are pickled cucumbers, pepinos en escabeche. aha, they understood;D

and really enjoyed them too.:bounce

still have not found translation for caraway seeds. help:o

Hook - 12-2-2006 at 11:48 AM

One Spanish internet translator I used gave me the latin word for the caraway plant..............CARVI.

As Spanish is a Romance (Latin based) language, maybe it is as simple as "semillas de carvi".

Jesse probably knows.....maybe send him a U2U if you gotta know. I'm enamored with minutae so I understand. :yes:

CP - 12-3-2006 at 01:16 PM

From my old notes, don't know origin:
"semillas de alcaravea"

thanks hook and cp

sylens - 12-4-2006 at 06:10 PM

i will ask jesse. and then convey info to my friends.

DENNIS - 12-4-2006 at 06:17 PM

I asked my Mixtec neighbor about the term for Caraway Seeds and he knew exactly what they are: XTLEMOLAGOKLABOLA SEEDS.
That's what he told me and he should know.

Hook - 12-6-2006 at 09:42 AM

Dave, where are you getting your bread for your CB and pastrami sammys?

Not Bimbo, I hope...........

Can you get NY corn rye down there?

Totally Bummed

CP - 12-29-2006 at 04:53 PM

On their way down the penninsula last week, friends stopped to get me pastrami sands and pickles... NYD:( CLOSED Miercoles? They took a photo of the closed sign for me....
Sad in BCS.

Dave

Baja Bernie - 12-29-2006 at 07:52 PM

Never responds while the flavor lasts. The food is wonderful and his wife's cakes are to kill for. Him, a quiet guy worth listening to when he is talking about something HE cares about. Just ask Keri! Oops! and one hell of a musician----just ask him!

fdt - 12-29-2006 at 08:09 PM

He changed the dates and now is closed on a diferent day, I took the kids after school one day from Tijuana and we ended up eating tamales from the road. All I heard on the way back to Tijuana was "pero papi, tu dijiste que ibamos a comer sandwiches bien ricos del Seņor Dave :( "

Still closed Wednesday

Dave - 12-29-2006 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
He changed the dates and now is closed on a diferent day

Sorry you missed us but we have always been closed on Wednesday. Additionally, October-March we close both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Current Hours:

8am-4pm, Thursday- Monday
(Closed Dec.31-Jan.3 for New Years)

Also: We close for the entire month of February...every year.

Yo comprende amigo

Sharksbaja - 12-30-2006 at 01:05 AM

I hear it all the time and am constantly reminded of our days off. Funny, after ten years, you'd think they'd know.

Damn, I was too early on my last trip(6am). I'll have to make adjustments! :)

Best pastrami sand ever had was in a place in Rosemead...or was it Monrovia.:lol:

Dave, do you have or plan a website?

Dave - 12-30-2006 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Dave, do you have or plan a website?

Had one. Considered it a waste of money. I may not know much about the internet except I know that when people were looking at my site they weren't eating at the Deli. ;D Some internet maven talked me into WiFi but all that got me was a bunch of coffee drinkers taking up table space. Coffee sales went up but covers went down...Way down. With only 24 seats and limited hours it's all about volume and covers.

Not knocking the internet. Just that for our style of business it didn't make economic sense. Besides, the business is maxed out unless I would expand and add additional labor. Which, for a small business in Mexico, is suicide.

Nueva York Deli

awfulart - 12-31-2006 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
He changed the dates and now is closed on a diferent day

Sorry you missed us but we have always been closed on Wednesday. Additionally, October-March we close both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Current Hours:

8am-4pm, Thursday- Monday
(Closed Dec.31-Jan.3 for New Years)

Also: We close for the entire month of February...every
year.

Darn, we will be in Baja Norte on 2/1 heading to Mulege. Better luck next time.

Art & Alice

Bob H - 5-27-2007 at 04:33 PM

I think it's closed permanently now.
Bob H

fdt - 5-27-2007 at 05:32 PM

Que que?:?:

DENNIS - 5-27-2007 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Que que?:?:

I believe Dave closed the deli a while back. Saw something here about it but missed anything with details.

Dave did close it just before May 2007

Baja Bernie - 5-27-2007 at 07:09 PM

Been closed since Feb.

Dave - 5-27-2007 at 08:32 PM

We sold the building housing the Deli at the end of last year. Have located a new spot and I will open something new (hopefully) within the next 5-8 months. It will be announced here.

[Edited on 5-28-2007 by Dave]

JESSE - 5-28-2007 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
We sold the building housing the Deli at the end of last year. Have located a new spot and I will open something new (hopefully) within the next 5-8 months. It will be announced here.

[Edited on 5-28-2007 by Dave]

In the same area? or a different town?

Alisitos k-58

Dave - 5-28-2007 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
In the same area? or a different town?

HURRY UP

bajaguy - 5-28-2007 at 06:24 PM

I need a pastrami fix:lol::lol::lol: