BajaNomad

Another Rumour?

Scotty - 12-16-2006 at 02:47 PM

I was told last night the reason the Pemex stations are closed is because they were caught with their meters purposely out of calibration. In other words customers were getting less fuel than they were paying for.
Anyone else hear anything similar?

Cheaters ?

MrBillM - 12-16-2006 at 03:30 PM

Aw, Come On ! Does anybody really believe that those station owners would purposely cheat their customers ? Nah ! Say it Ain't So !

David K - 12-16-2006 at 03:35 PM

One could only hope that was true!

Imagine actually making them earn honest income instead of cheating the customers!!!

Outrageous!!! No more selling 22+ litres of gas into a 19 litre can!!!

bancoduo - 12-16-2006 at 03:55 PM

Whats wrong with getting a little extra gas in your can?:biggrin:

Bob and Susan - 12-16-2006 at 03:59 PM

scotty scotty scotty

you CAN"T say things like that when it's NOT true

oh yea...
beam me up:bounce:

woody with a view - 12-16-2006 at 04:05 PM

Quote:

Whats wrong with getting a little extra gas in your can?:biggrin:

nothing, as long as it's really in there!!!:lol:

Capt. George - 12-16-2006 at 04:05 PM

the only honest Pemex in Baja is in el Rosario........

thank you Antonio!

DENNIS - 12-16-2006 at 04:15 PM

What about those Cuali signs on some stations? Do they mean anything?

backninedan - 12-16-2006 at 04:26 PM

Yes, a busy sign painter.

DENNIS - 12-16-2006 at 04:30 PM

Got it dan but, they have some kind of significance. Does anybody know what it might be?

DianaT - 12-16-2006 at 04:38 PM

Check out this thread---Baja Cactus First Cuali Award

Diane

Cypress - 12-16-2006 at 04:48 PM

bancoduo has the right idea!:tumble::D

vandenberg - 12-16-2006 at 06:43 PM

If they would withhold fuel from all the cheating stations, Pemex might go broke.:P:P:biggrin::biggrin::lol::lol::bounce::bounce:

Bob and Susan - 12-16-2006 at 08:37 PM

larry no no no

if you manufacture a shortage couldn't you raise the prices...
that's what they did here in the USA with gas AND electricty

i'm still paying $3 something for diesel and $1.80 something in baja

if the price increases the more money you make selling less product
it's the same gas

i really like the business training antonio has given his workers at el rosario...
if you ask for it full...the guy pumps every ounce he can getting every peso he can out of you and into the tank

if the workers can pump an extra 10 pesoes into your tank every car
then every 40 cars pay that employees salary for the day

plus antonio sells more gas and makes more profit

we who pump our own gas forgot this "extra profit" style
USA gas station owners used it in the 60's to make extra money

-------------------------

oh yea
i really like to get extra gas in case the next station is out:lol:

[Edited on 12-17-2006 by Bob and Susan]

Summanus - 12-16-2006 at 09:54 PM

Once you clear Kalifornia of the Left Coast, diesel prices in the states are about 2.73-2.75 at most truck stops throughout the midwest and upper plains. Baja diesel is cheaper, but some less-used diesel tanks are notoriously high in water content due to condensation, creating more frequent fuel filter changes. My fuel filter changes cost me mucho dollars for this three-week trip to Baja, but it was worth every nickel.

I topped off my diesel tank myself at Antonio's Pemex just 2 mornings ago. The attendant tryed to quit when it reached an even 700 pesos, but I squeezed in another couple liters...enough to get past the high California prices and into Nevada.

P.S. Isn't the cheerful fellow wearing that suit coat at the Baja Cactus reception desk a riot!? Great touch and a good humor, Antonio! Only in Baja..he and that suit will become a legend after a few more years.:)

BajaNomad - 12-17-2006 at 06:00 AM

Antonio taught me to tell the attendant to "drown it" if you want it all the way to the top...

"se ahoga"

Bob and Susan - 12-17-2006 at 06:52 AM

condensaton is caused because you are leaving your tank empty or half empty in a humid area

you MUST keep your tank full when in baja
your BIG tank will easily make water inside over night if it's not FULL

remember water and gas DON'T mix

nowdays gas stations have a water filter just like your truck to remove moisture from the fuel you pump

oh yea

in Kalifornia our air is soo much cleaner:lol::lol:

Ha Ha !!! not in baja ---

beercan - 12-17-2006 at 07:29 AM

Quote:

nowdays gas stations have a water filter just like your truck to remove moisture from the fuel you pump

Bob and Susan - 12-17-2006 at 07:49 AM

ha ha

let's let antonio answer that..

this isn't 1970 anymore:o

mtgoat666 - 12-17-2006 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

The common fuel filter in automobiles do not remove water.

Bob and Susan - 12-17-2006 at 09:00 AM

motoat666

you are right....
you'd have to get a raycor water filter

but Summanus and i were talking "real trucks" with diesel enginesand BIG gas tanks :biggrin:

tuna stick - 12-17-2006 at 09:14 AM

Saw a tanker at the Pemex on Juarez at 6:45 Sat. night in Loreto. All three stations were open.

bajalou - 12-17-2006 at 09:17 AM

Most diesel trucks have a water separator filter from the factory since the 90s - at least my Ford Diesel's do.

BajaNomad - 12-17-2006 at 09:29 AM

Unless a station is using a Hydrosorb-type filter (water AND particulates), water will get through the particulates filter. If water's a big problem, they won't use the Hydrosorb, because the Hydrosorb just expands and clogs - and then they have to constantly replace the filter.. over and over and over and over... as the tank may have hundreds of gallons of water - and the filter will only handle maybe a pint, or a quart, or something along those lines.

Water's been a (bigger) problem at stations in Baja right after it rains - water getting into the tanks through the fill pipe. Tanks are made to handle an inch, two or three of water at the bottom (as it's a normal situation to deal with), and the fuel pickup is generally about 3-5 inches up from the bottom because of this.

Get above this level at the bottom though and watch out!

I used to have to pump water out of the bottom of the tanks via the fill pipe. We detected it the old-fashioned way - with water paste on the stick used to measure how much gas was in the tank. Something I did from the 70's through the 90's.

:biggrin:

Bajajorge - 12-18-2006 at 10:19 AM

Crooked meters? Sounds like the norm to me. I usually get my fuel in San Felipe at the Seven Lleven. The same place where the police cars, fire trucks, military etc all fuel up. Figured that place would be straight. Guess what, my 19 liter gas can took 21.3 liters,

Cypress - 12-18-2006 at 10:26 AM

21.3 liters into a 19 liter gas can? WOW!:o How'd they do that?:O Surely you spilled some.:bounce::spingrin:

marla - 12-18-2006 at 10:55 AM

Last time I filled up in Loreto, I gave the guy a big bill (can't remember exactly how much) and he gave me like 10 pesos in change. I protested and continued to protest while he just looked at me stonily. Finally when a police car happened by coincidence to drive into the station, he decided to give me the rest of my change, grudgingly.

Phil S - 12-18-2006 at 12:30 PM

There is a new Pemex in Loreto now, down in one of the residential neighborhoods. Including diesel. That should stop that kind of nonsense at the station at Salvatiera (sp?) I never experienced that problem there over the last 16 winters though, and I've put many a gallon through my two diesel trucks over the years. Knowing the language helps at least.
Going to buy a couple diesel cans & will fill them up once across the border. (I'm told if your stopped at the inspection lights, they will tell you not to bring the tanks in full"???????? Anyone have any experiences lately with that?????

bajalou - 12-18-2006 at 12:35 PM

Never problems with installed fuel tanks coming into Mex. Just the cans that they don't like.