BajaNomad

Fishing the shorelines

Summanus - 12-21-2006 at 12:15 PM

We went fishing down by Punta Terasa near Ille del Fonzo the other day. South of Conception Bay about 25 miles.

While we caught all the fish we needed, this is not a report about big fish and certainly no 'record' sizes were caught. We did have a good time catching dinner for our entire troop of friends and neighbors, though.

4 of us went out and caught about 16 or so reef fish by trolling Mirrolures along the reefs and points near the shoreline. We tried to keep the lures close to the rocks in about 30 feet of water...the lures running about 25-28 feet deep depending on the individual lure settings. (Have you noticed how some lures are 'tuned' a little differently than their twins?

We trolled at about 6-8mph depending on how the lures were reacting to 'surfacing' from too much speed. Seems like the faster you can troll them, the better the action. I like to think the fast lure buzzing by a fish make them strike it instinctively..like bass protecting their beds. Who knows?...but it works!

Between 4 anglers it was best to troll just 3 rods at a time to prevent snagging lines on tight turns necessary to remain on top of the 30 ft. structure below.

To catch some pintos, we used heavy jigs just offshore a bit in about 220 feet and found a rockpile. Good action for a couple of these eaters.

Our catch consisted of: one small 6 lb. yellowtail ,quite a few nice sized gold-spotted bass to 5 lbs (pintos), a rogue squid in shallow water, a trigger or two, couple of pargo, and all in all, some fine dinner eating. A typical low-energy day on the Cortez with lots of fine lunch and cold Pacificos!

Viva fishing!

[Edited on 12-21-2006 by Summanus]

- a fine Baja fishing day (2) (Custom).jpg - 40kB

A not-so-good triggerfish

Summanus - 12-21-2006 at 12:19 PM

These yellow-barred types are not great table fish.

- a fine Baja fishing day (2).jpg - 43kB

BajaBruno - 12-21-2006 at 07:55 PM

A nice day you had out there, Summanus. What kind of boat is that?

Summanus - 12-21-2006 at 09:15 PM

We did indeed have a very nice day, BajaBruno. The boat is a Seaswirl 26' Striper Walkaround. A comfy ride in rough seas, although this day was fairly calm.

BajaBruno - 12-23-2006 at 09:12 PM

Nice boat. Is the boat permanently based there? I towed my 22' center console to Santa Rosalia and gawd, what a chore that was. I can't imagine the stress of getting a 26' there with those truckers bearing down on you at 110 MPH!!! And taking a little of your lane along with theirs! I admire the courage of whoever made that trip.