BajaNomad

Guadalupe Valley

Baja4Rnr - 1-4-2007 at 06:41 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat off of Hiway 3 in the Guadalupe Valley. I have heard there are restaurants that specialize in roast lamb and I would like to try them (or any where else that is good) on my next trip to the wineries.

JESSE - 1-4-2007 at 07:23 PM

Roasted Lamb: Mustafa

Everything: Laja

thebajarunner - 1-4-2007 at 11:25 PM

CorreCaminos- across the street from Mustafa!

bajamigo - 1-5-2007 at 09:18 AM

Get a second mortgage and try Laja.

Unfair

Dave - 1-5-2007 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo

Laja is a stone bargain.

That they serve such good food so inexpensively is unbelievable!

JESSE - 1-5-2007 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Laja is a stone bargain.

I completely agree.

Add me to the "YES" list!

thebajarunner - 1-5-2007 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Laja is a stone bargain.

I completely agree.

We were there late last spring, it was truly wonderful!!
Well worth the price.
I am taking 12 people there next week, very excited about it.

astrobaja - 1-6-2007 at 07:09 AM

My Wife and I treated ourself to lunch at Laja on our way back out to Tecate and on to home. It was an incredible experience!! I would compare its cuisine to be on the same level as the Ritz Carleton in Laguna, but in a different way because Lajas food actually reflects the character of the foods that are found locally! You get local cheeses, they grow a fair bit of the vegetables in the garden, including heirloom varieties that have MUCH more flavour than the blandified stuff we get at our grocery stores in most of N. America! Is the food expensive? Sure we spent about $130 each with a couple glasses of superb wine but hey you would spend that at any good restaurant back in a bigger city like SF or NY. I attached a pic of the place and the garden right beside it. For those that have never been you owe it to yourself to save up and go, its that good!

--Astro

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by astrobaja]

laja2.jpg - 40kB

astrobaja - 1-6-2007 at 07:12 AM

And a pic of Laja itself

Oh yeah heres their website:

http://www.lajamexico.com/ing/home.htm

laja.jpg - 48kB

The drive through Gaudalupe Valley should not be missed...

Summanus - 1-6-2007 at 07:23 AM

...nor these two truly great dinner stops.

We have eaten at each several times...and highly reccommend stopping at each..several times!

Hacienda Vivero

The Gull - 1-6-2007 at 09:24 AM

Eat outside under spreading oak trees and you do not need a second mortgage. Excellent baja cuisine and a beautiful setting.

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by The Gull]

de las Minas.jpg - 15kB

Vivero Location

The Gull - 1-6-2007 at 09:28 AM

Viviero.jpg - 11kB

Summanus - 1-6-2007 at 09:30 AM

La Hacienda.

That sounds inviting...eating under those spreading oaks! I have a faint memory of that sign..we may stopped there, but I can't recall the experience. Where is it located?

p.s. Hey! That was QUICK! Thanks, Gull.

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by Summanus]

David K - 1-6-2007 at 09:42 AM

In the (this) restuarant review forum, you can look back at previous entries... I enjoyed eating at Mustafa's.

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by David K]

Summanus

The Gull - 1-6-2007 at 09:58 AM

As you are heading north toward Tecate on the main road, you will come to the little wide spot in the road with the sign, "San Antonio de las Minas" . There is a small road that leads off to the east (right). Take it and cross over a small bridge over a creek and look for trhe sign I posted. It requires a left turn at the sign. It is basically three blocks off the main highway to the east.

thebajarunner - 1-6-2007 at 10:00 AM

We had lunch two weeks ago at Hacienda (seems like everything else in Guadalupe is closed on Wed.)
It was very good, not super-primo, but good.
The wind chill was waaaaay down there, so we did not eat under the 'spreading branches'
In fact, they had to lock one door to keep the wind from popping it open.

Summanus - 1-6-2007 at 10:01 AM

Thanks, Gull. We have it marked down and will try the cuisine on the next road trip. I will say we were advised by Nomads and take a photo or two to go with a future report. Muchas gracias.

de nada

The Gull - 1-6-2007 at 10:42 AM

CWF - 4-4-2007 at 05:59 AM

If you're near San Antonio de las Minas, try La Casa de Ladrillo (look for signs and the restaurant on your right). Vinisterra has very good to great wine but you may need a reservation to taste. Worth checking out though.

Or another excellent restaurant is Los Naranjos, just off the highway near Laja. For 145 pesos you get three delicious quail (codoniz) roasted with garlic and herbs, a baked potato, veg, salad, and fresh torillas. Stroll around the grounds, you'll love the place.