BajaNomad

Baja First Aide for things that sting

Marmeon - 1-5-2007 at 09:32 AM

Reading the posts about biting/stinging insects in Baja in the Discussion Forum has gotten me thinking about the first aide kit I'm bringing on my Mulege to Loreto kayaking trip in February. I'm bringing vinegar for the jellies, and tequila (for medicinal purposes), of course. I have no known allergies to venoms, but I'll be a long way from medical care and will need to get there under my own steam. What else would you suggest in the event I get stung by a Tarantula Hawk Wasp or a scorpion?

Bajagypsy - 1-5-2007 at 09:34 AM

I would suggest that you bring antihistamines (sp???), antibotic (sp???) cream such as polysporin, and more tequila than you think you need.:)

Skeet/Loreto - 1-5-2007 at 09:41 AM

fOR SCORPION Stings- Always have some Instant Coffee around.--Damp lightly and place on Sting -Wrap lightly- Keep Damp for at least 20 Minutes.

Also if you dog is showing signs of upset Stomach- Give him a Cup of Coffee with Milk in a Bowl- It works !!!

Skeet/Loreto

wilderone - 1-5-2007 at 10:12 AM

Tea tree oil is an antiseptic and used as a protection against or treatment for jungle rot, minor burns, cuts, abrasions, insect bites, sunburn, infections, athlete's foot, and other external fungal and bacterial problems. I used it extensively to decrease itching caused by mosquito and ant bites. Also, get something called Sting Ease for bites too. You might appreciate muscle ache stuff for aching shoulders and prevention of carpal tunnel in the forearm. IMHO, I don't think you'll need the vinegar for jelly fish stings. Of course, take anti-inflammatories. My worst problem on a long kayak trip was blisters on my thumbs.

First Aid for Stings/Bites...

Cameron - 1-5-2007 at 10:17 AM

I carry a Sawyer "Venom Pump" in my first aid kit. It's the best short-term topical treatment available for snakebites, and it works pretty well for insect stings and helps a little bit with stingray stings too. You can find them online at: http://www.sawyerproducts.com/sawyer_products/pages/extracto...
For non-venomous insect bites (..Mosquitos, sand fleas, etc.), I like "Sting-Eze", or any other topical lotion with 5% or more Benzocaine as an active ingredient.
As far as Jellyfish go, Adolph's Meat Tenderizer helps some, as will Vodka (..Applied to the skin, not in a highball glass with OJ and ice :tumble: ).
Have a great trip!.. Cameron

FARASHA - 1-5-2007 at 10:18 AM

I would think of a working cellphone, with all Emergency phonenumbers stored in it. Plus a Flaregun - to call for help - you never know if you'll b able to treat all problems yourself. Especially if there is an unexpected serious allergic or anaphylactic reaction, or injury!!
My 2 cents as a professional nurse.

ursidae69 - 1-30-2007 at 04:01 PM

These venom suction devices are not worth a penny. Several studies have shown that they do not work, extracting less than 1% of the venom, and in fact concentrate the venom closer to the skin which causes more side-effects. Couple of peer-reviewed articles I suggest you read before you buy this crappy sawyer pump.

Suction for venomous snakebite: A study of “mock venom” extraction in a human model. Michael B. Alberts MD, Marc Shalit MD, and Fred LoGalbo MD. Annals of Emergency Medicine Volume 43, Issue 2 , February 2004, Pages 181-186.

Snakebite suction devices don't remove venom: They just suck, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Volume 43, Issue 2, February 2004, Pages 187-188
Sean P. Bush

Plus many more.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cameron
I carry a Sawyer "Venom Pump" in my first aid kit. It's the best short-term topical treatment available for snakebites, and it works pretty well for insect stings and helps a little bit with stingray stings too. You can find them online at: http://www.sawyerproducts.com/sawyer_products/pages/extracto...
For non-venomous insect bites (..Mosquitos, sand fleas, etc.), I like "Sting-Eze", or any other topical lotion with 5% or more Benzocaine as an active ingredient.
As far as Jellyfish go, Adolph's Meat Tenderizer helps some, as will Vodka (..Applied to the skin, not in a highball glass with OJ and ice :tumble: ).

vgabndo - 1-30-2007 at 04:45 PM

WOW, thanks ursidae69 for that information. I have a couple of them and have put a lot of stock in their potential value. I do home inspections, so crawling under houses is the love of my life. :no: Black Widows are VERY common in season.

Venom Pumps...

Cameron - 1-30-2007 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
These venom suction devices are not worth a penny. Several studies have shown that they do not work, extracting less than 1% of the venom, and in fact concentrate the venom closer to the skin which causes more side-effects. Couple of peer-reviewed articles I suggest you read before you buy this crappy sawyer pump.

Suction for venomous snakebite: A study of “mock venom” extraction in a human model. Michael B. Alberts MD, Marc Shalit MD, and Fred LoGalbo MD. Annals of Emergency Medicine Volume 43, Issue 2 , February 2004, Pages 181-186.

Snakebite suction devices don't remove venom: They just suck, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Volume 43, Issue 2, February 2004, Pages 187-188
Sean P. Bush

Plus many more.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cameron

Thanks for the info! Makes for very interesting reading for sure. Looks like I'll have to think twice before using a pump on a snake bite.
I haven't had to use my Sawyer pump yet, but I have seen one in use on a fresh Stingray wound. It sure seemed to help the victim a lot. How much of that was a placebo effect, and how much was due to the pump itself? I can't answer that for sure, but for $10, it was a no-brainer when I saw it on the shelf.
Thanks again! C

David K - 1-30-2007 at 04:54 PM

Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)... as stated above... Keep a small bottle on you and use it for any skin injury from sunburn to stings to cuts. Amazing soothing and healing properties. Available from health food stores, some drug stores... and Melaleuca Inc. direct marketing folks.

BajaNomad - 1-30-2007 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)... Available from health food stores...
Including Trader Joe's.

woody with a view - 1-30-2007 at 06:41 PM

Quote:

Including Trader Joe's.

newest trader joe's to open a week from this friday on rosecrans at the old Naval Training Center. can't wait. the drive to PB gets old...

TRADER JOE's

bajaguy - 1-30-2007 at 09:44 PM

Where is the closest TJ's to the border on either I-5 or the 805???

AmoPescar - 1-30-2007 at 10:29 PM

bajaguy

Looks like HILLCREST in San Diego at 1090 University Avenue.

Nothing in Chula Vista, National City or San Ysidro.

Amo :(

coconaco - 1-30-2007 at 10:43 PM

Aqua Mollies
Limon y caliente arena en baja

Jelly Fish
You run back to the beach house for the tenderizer.:tumble:

Benadryl saved my life.
I never travel without it.
And if you need help falling asleep or get a cold.

Taco de Baja - 1-31-2007 at 08:25 AM

Lanacane anti-itch is nice to have. Stops the itch from skeeter and other inscet bites. May help relieve the pain of a sting too.

ursidae69 - 1-31-2007 at 09:34 AM

I have not read studies on the efficacy of this product with insect stings. I have an extractor, but wouldn't use it for snakebites. Maybe an insect sting or sting ray because they are so much closer to the skin. The snake fangs go too deep into to the flesh and the extractor just sucks out interstitial fluid.

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
WOW, thanks ursidae69 for that information. I have a couple of them and have put a lot of stock in their potential value. I do home inspections, so crawling under houses is the love of my life. :no: Black Widows are VERY common in season.

vgabndo - 1-31-2007 at 01:28 PM

If a Viuda Negra DOES get me, I fully intend to use the extractor...can't see any harm. While I recognize that it is very unlikely that the venom would kill me, I'd like to minimize the symptoms.

I have always told people that if you are healthy, you should have no fear, but start making your way toward the emergency room because that is where they keep the DEMOROL. I believe most people will need it for the cramps.

TEA TREE OIL

bajaguy - 1-31-2007 at 06:58 PM

Australian Tea Tree Oil, at Trader Joe's, price is bit steep, it's about $5.85 (in Reno) for a 1 ounce bottle.........price must reflect climbing those those Australian Tea Trees to get the oil pods (or whatever).

David K - 1-31-2007 at 08:49 PM

That's cheap... about $8 per ounce here... Make sure it's 100% pure... not an antiseptic with some oil in it.

An ounce bottle will last you a year unless you're accident prone...

bajaguy - 1-31-2007 at 08:55 PM

David K................yup, it's 100% pure. Bottled/manufactured in Valencia, CA. I'm gonna get bajablonde a gallon of the stuff!!!

bajaguy - 1-31-2007 at 09:32 PM

I would think that liberal quantities of of Jack Daniels may be of some immediate medical assistance :lol::lol::lol:

astrobaja - 2-2-2007 at 10:59 AM

Heres a really good website that discusses snakebite, and what is the best course of action.

http://www.snakesofarkansas.com/Main/SnakeBite

It seems these sucker kits work marginally if used within minutes of the bite. Having antivenin on hand is impractical as its VERY $$$ upwards of $500-1000 PER vial, and typically many vials are needed over a treatment. Plus it has to be given IV so unless you're practiced with recreational IV drug use it may not be a good idea plus you might have an adverse reaction to the antivenin, so its best left to medics!

A good "protective" measure for those hiking in remote areas might be good tough boots plus these snake leggings, they also protect against sharp spiney desert vegetation too!

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/drilldown_pages/view_categ...

I think this is the route I'll go while hiking in the SPM park this spring!

Astro

DON'T

bajaguy - 2-2-2007 at 11:06 AM

Forget the dogs..........we have had our Yellow Lab to the vet for a series of shots that build up resistance to rattlesnake bites. Still have to take them to the vet, but at least it buys you some time.

Also took her to rattlesnake avoidance class. The put a shock collar on the dog, and walk the dogs by "defanged" rattlesnakes. If the dog shows an interest, they zap the collar. Seems to have worked, as Libbie started barking at a section of 1/2" rebar laying on the ground.

PS....don't forget to take a stick ( a broomhandle cut to about 5 feet with a bicycle handlebar grip on one end). Good for poking the trail in front of you.