BajaNomad

Your favorite fish and why?

baitcast - 1-22-2007 at 04:13 PM

Lots of choices,when I was a much younger man I looked for the biggest,meanest,strongest fish I could find with no regard for my body or equipment but as I,ve grown older my values have changed some,o I still like a big fish now and then,and my pulse rate goes up just like always.

But now I can be perfectly content wading along on a sandy beach,warm clear water,a light rig in hand throwing poppers for corvina how times change.

Back to the question whats your favorite fish and why?
BAITCAST

Capt. George - 1-22-2007 at 04:21 PM

bonefish on the flats of the lower Florida Keys...

stalking, hunting and fishing, and what a regal fish it is!

DENNIS - 1-22-2007 at 04:44 PM

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of tasting smoked Rainbow Trout. It is, by far, the best smoked fish I have tasted.

Yellowtail

tripledigitken - 1-22-2007 at 04:50 PM

Fishing off a kelp paddy, with bait or with iron. Love the action of surface fishing. You keep busy casting too.

Then the eating. My favorite, as sushi or grilled with lemon butter.

:yes:

BajaDanD - 1-22-2007 at 05:10 PM

WAHOO
Most fun fish to catch as the name implies. WAHOO!!!!!
best fish I ever tasted raw or cooked

DENNIS - 1-22-2007 at 05:17 PM

Is that "bait on a plate" again?
Jeezo..... you guys should consider cooking you fish.

SoCalAl - 1-22-2007 at 05:18 PM

Sculpin by far.....
But others include:
White Sea Bass ( I tasted black sea bass in the 70's hmmm)
Calico Bass
Yellow Tail (Sashimi)
Vermillion Red Snapper
Pacific Halibut
Cabezon
Barred Pearch
Man I just like pretty much any white meat fish for different occations but by far it is the sculpin and it's cousins....
SoCalAl

jimgrms - 1-22-2007 at 05:19 PM

Anyfish that takes my bait but trigger fish on light tackle is a lot of fun jim

Taco de Baja - 1-22-2007 at 05:20 PM

Yellowtail is fun to catch and eat raw or cooked, but.....

White Sea Bass is the best for a fresh BBQ on the beach
Halibut is excellent in fresh Ceviche on the beach
Swordfish is my favorite on the home BBQ
and Salmon is my favorite for sashimi

Now I'm hungry! :mad:
;)

DENNIS - 1-22-2007 at 05:30 PM

Oh My God --------------

Fish Tartar...............

This makes me sick

Catchin

baitcast - 1-22-2007 at 05:31 PM

What I really had in mind was the catchin,but the eatin,thats good too.
BAITCAST

DENNIS - 1-22-2007 at 05:35 PM

Sorry Baitcast for messin with your thread but, if you dont want to cook a fish, dont land it.

Vince - 1-22-2007 at 05:38 PM

DORADO! Because of the way the fight, jump and run. They are very tasty and are beautiful.

baitcast - 1-22-2007 at 05:46 PM

No problem Dennis thats not messing anyway.
BAITCAST

Capt. George - 1-22-2007 at 06:22 PM

yes calico....the "westies" including, but not limited to Whistler kicked my asswith calico fishing out of L.A. on Danny Strunks boat.

I'll get em back though. really do like calicos, a finesse fish.....

they really need to use spinning out there, right GK?

Oso - 1-22-2007 at 06:57 PM

Big channel cats on a trot line. Git up late, set the line, sip some corn, go home and sleep, come back tomorry, skinem, gutem, rollem, fryem & eatem.

Don Alley - 1-22-2007 at 07:21 PM

Favorite fish?

I like the big ones, but the medium ones are OK too.

I used to have a bunch of aquariums. For that I liked small fish.

I confess

Sharksbaja - 1-22-2007 at 07:26 PM

Shovel-nosed shark tastes like chicken. I don't fish shark any more but some were just heavenly.

OOPS! As far as Baja fish......I like those triggers a lot but the flavors of fish are subjective much like food. Not everybody will love what you do. There aren't too many fish that taste bad. ;) I can make a few stand up and be counted!

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by Sharksbaja]

4baja - 1-22-2007 at 08:07 PM

dorado, they jump, change colors, take trolling jigs and live bait along with casting at them and tast great. yellow tail 2nd.

Sallysouth - 1-22-2007 at 08:35 PM

Nuthin like a big ol yellowtail putting up a fight for the catch! I have to say that I love Sierra for ceviche and Cabriila on the grill or in the pan.

bajasammy - 1-22-2007 at 09:10 PM

Our fishing is limited to the Bay at Estero Beach, but there's an amazing variety of fishies in there! My favorite to catch has been the bonefish, and to eat corbina or halibut.

coconaco - 1-22-2007 at 09:31 PM

the fish I love to hate - BIG PARGO (colorado and dog tooth)

for sushi- albacore
for fighting- the whole jack family,pargo, WSB, log barracuda, TUNA
for eating- yellowtail, dorado, snappers, parrot fish, groupers, ling cod, sculpin, halibut

and the fish I can relate to - the COCONACO

Von - 1-22-2007 at 09:39 PM

the one I had whenh i was a kid!@

Frank - 1-22-2007 at 09:50 PM

Ive never met a fish I didnt like, but Im really partial to pelagics.

Get on the boat with the whole day ahead of you. Make some bait, and head for the numbers you researched last night on the web.

Start looking for temp breaks, and any flotsam in the water. Get in a fishy area. Outriggers are folded out and the jigs go in. Everybody is on the look out for a sign, any sign.

The right rigger pops, and that sound that you hear in your sleep makes your heart race.HOOK UP!!!!! Push the throttles forward to take the slack out as the crew sets the hook. Your on, that big angry billfish is heading for the horizon, the fight is on.

Ahhh dont even get me started on kelp patty fishing, fishing the iron, or baiting a billfish. I wont be able to sleep as it is. :tumble:

David K - 1-22-2007 at 09:53 PM

CORBINA!!!

Great eating and catch it in the surf all around Baja!

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by David K]

ccorbheadmitch.jpg - 42kB

AmoPescar - 1-22-2007 at 11:43 PM

My Favorite fish to EAT...

is probably Monkfish, aka...Poor Man's Lobster. I enjoy it best when it's been grilled over a hot mesquite fire.

after that is the very yummy Wahoo
or another favorite...Seared Ahi

My favorite to CATCH...

is probably a good sized...Yellowfin Tuna

But...you cant beat catching any good fighting fish on light tackle, either from a boat or wading into the warm water on a Baja beach.

AMO PESCAR = LOVE TO FISH

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by AmoPescar]

dean miller - 1-23-2007 at 04:39 AM

White sea bass

Generally speared by spearfishermen, seldon seen never speared by late model tube sucking bubble blowers.

sdm

Skipjack Joe - 1-23-2007 at 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
bonefish on the flats of the lower Florida Keys...

stalking, hunting and fishing, and what a regal fish it is!

I'm with Captn George on this one.

The second most enjoyable experience is flyfishing the spring creeks in Montana/Idaho for rainbows. There's a lot of similarities to bonefish. Beautiful surroundings. Requires a good knowledge of entomology. Matching the hatch. Technically challenging and a lot of fun.

Bluegills on poppers is a blast. That should be starting in about a month or two.

In Baja? Beach fishing, when it's good can be as good as it gets. Sight fishing is the best. I suppose a jack crevalle from the beach, or a yellowtail, or a rooster is about as good as it gets.

But there are so many other competitors you normally wouldn't consider. Ladyfish on a flyrod is a hoot. Making bait at dawn is a real high for me, often surpassing bigger game later in the day. Wading the estuaries for halibut is very rewarding.

But you're right baitcast. Fishing is often the least significant part of fishing. And size and flavor play a minor role in the whole experience.

baitcast - 1-23-2007 at 06:51 AM

Interesting mix,let me add a few more fun guys to hook and land if you can,in the 70,s and 80,s shark fishing wasn,t as popular as it is today,but for me and friends it was the only thing,picture this 16' boat off the cal. coast,drift fishing for mako and thresher,that was as exciting has it gets,both great jumpers,never landed any big ones,no place to put one,even if we did,very scary to have a large mako close to the boat,they had a bad habit of jumping close in,had a thresher nearly knock me out with his tail!

On the other hand,Joe mentioned lady-fish,just a great fish on the right tackle,mullet super fun,jump like crazy,very strong and run like hell and last but not least the lowly carp.

Carp get very large,are spooky and fun to sight fish for,most people think dough balls or corn,nothing is further from the truth,they can be taken on a wet fly,crappie jigs,fast,strong,make long runs and are everwhere.

BAITCAST

David K

bajadave1 - 1-23-2007 at 07:23 AM

How did you get the hook into that corbinas mouth from the bottom outside, INTO the mouth?:lol::lol::lol:

One of my favorite's is catching large roosterfish from a kayak. Then, let them tow you up and down the beach.

Tired of marlin, too much work. Dorado are fun, lots of jumps and very strong. ;)

Bajadave

Cypress - 1-23-2007 at 08:58 AM

For eating: fresh speckled trout, or maybe Triple Tail or Cobia, or grouper or Bluegill, or....:spingrin:
For catching, Halibut, or snapper, or speckled trout, or......:bounce:
Can't really make up my mind.:D
Give me a few more years!!:spingrin::bounce:

David K - 1-23-2007 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
How did you get the hook into that corbinas mouth from the bottom outside, INTO the mouth?:lol::lol::lol:

One of my favorite's is catching large roosterfish from a kayak. Then, let them tow you up and down the beach.

Tired of marlin, too much work. Dorado are fun, lots of jumps and very strong. ;)

Bajadave

Well first off, that's not my photo but it shows the corbina close up real well... secondly, the hook is actually entering his mouth normally, on the inside... What you see is the area above the mouth opening/lip which extends downward as the corbina is a bottom feeder... like the croaker (another great fish...

Photo of my mom with a typical double hook-up of corbina in 1966 at the bay that would later become Bahia Santa Maria.

66-67 pics 014.jpg - 43kB

David K - 1-23-2007 at 09:08 AM

Corbina on the Pacific side... San Antonio del Mar, 40 years ago!

66-67 pics 017.jpg - 37kB

Cypress - 1-23-2007 at 09:15 AM

Corbina look a lot like the Whiting, AKA Ground Mullet caught in the Gulf of Mexico, only larger.:bounce::)

David K - 1-23-2007 at 09:46 AM

California Corbina, California King Croaker, California Whiting
(Menticirrhus undulatus) are the names given to this variety in Gene Kira's MexFish.com site (where the photo came from).... I never heard California Whiting applied, but from what you say, people recognize its looks.

The problem with 'corbina' in the Sea of Cortes is that the name is identical in sound (in Spanish) with the 'corvina' (v & b practically the same sound), which is a totally different fish (but also good eating).

Corvinas (orangemouth & shortfin) with a mouth in front hit on lures and corbinas, with a mouth on bottom, on bait (mussel, sand crabs, squid).

In Neil Kelly & Gene Kira's book 'The Baja Catch' the corbina is called 'Queen of the surf' and 'among the very best of seafoods' ... I couldn't agree more!

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by David K]

jimgrms - 1-23-2007 at 09:55 AM

damn now i want to go fishing and i want it now

Cypress - 1-23-2007 at 10:17 AM

David K. Thanks for the fish info.:) They both sound good to me! One's like the speckle trout(the Corvina), only bigger and the other is like the Ground Mullet(Corbina). Either one is a treat to catch or eat.:)

pargo - 1-23-2007 at 11:33 AM

baitcast

You have come full circle on your fishing career...congratulations!. I too have done lots of fishin' been there done that for the most part. Now...I'm justa happy camper fishing the light lines from shore over a rocky outcropping fishing the crankbaits for the likes of jacks and pargo. Rapala now makes a deadly suspending lure...great fun!

Skeet/Loreto - 1-23-2007 at 12:21 PM

Cabrilla

the butt fish

capt. mike - 1-23-2007 at 01:19 PM

a fine eating specimen.............common to many of the world's waters.
:biggrin:

buttfish.jpg - 41kB

Cypress - 1-23-2007 at 01:24 PM

Saw that one down in Cabo. Was upwind.:lol:

backninedan - 1-23-2007 at 02:03 PM

I would hate to have to clean that thing.

Capt. George - 1-23-2007 at 05:03 PM

whatever you do, don't say ass!!!!!!!!
:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::moon::moon::moon::tumble::tumble::P:P:P:P

Billfisher - 1-23-2007 at 06:26 PM

Pez Vela, light tackle, spinning or conventional gear 20# and below. There is nothing like a peeed off Sail going airborne as they practically smoke your drag!

As for eating, Dodos are my favorite, with YFT and Albacore a close second tie.

capt. mike - 1-24-2007 at 05:21 AM

i just had blackened jurel last nite, courtesy of Mulege Marv & his bride, given to us last weekend whence traipsing thru mulege we were.
scrumptiously fresh frozen and sushi quality upon it's flesh resurrection...............ummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!1

way better than the last butt fish i caught, Thx Marv! see you in a couple of weeks amigo.

SoCalAl - 1-24-2007 at 02:22 PM

By far bass fishing with light line is awsome. Calicos, Cabrilla, Kelp, Johnny Bay, White, Black, Sand and all those types of bass are fun with 5 to 10 lb test line and a small spinner. Halibut is also fun to fight on light tackle.

Medium fight: There is nothing like fighting Bonito (8lb to 15lb) and Yellowtail (20lb to 50) also White Sea Bass (15lb t 50lb) all on 12lb to 20lb line)

Heavy Fight: Not my thing but I would gladly fight a large grouper or black sea bass totuava or something that I can eat after it kicked my butt.. I refuse to fight a 300lb tuna or 1000 marlin just to throw that sucker back. I am going to work that hard I am going to eat:lol::lol::lol:
SoCalAl

DENNIS - 1-24-2007 at 05:15 PM

Mike-----
From an utilistic point of view, could the pressure be lowered a bit for a drinking fountain?

Capt. George - 1-24-2007 at 06:44 PM

bonefish yeah, but fished most of my life for striped bass...primarily surf casting the outer beaches of Cape Cod....

back in the late seventies there were so many bass, even my good buddy "W" could have caught one with his fly rod!!

say "fish" and the image of a freshly beached striper appears in my minds eye...........

Tomas Tierra - 1-26-2007 at 12:11 AM

Big sheephead (20#s and up) will pull harder than any other fish pound for pound.If you can get them away from structure they will give you the fight of your life. To bad they taste like doo-doo...

My overall favorite to catch and eat...the elusive White Sea Bass. Great cooked , great raw, and THE #1 ceviche fish(sierra being close second).

cool thread baitcast!

4baja - 1-26-2007 at 07:27 AM

tomas,:barf: what does doo-doo taste like?

Mexitron - 1-26-2007 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Yellowtail is fun to catch and eat raw or cooked, but.....

White Sea Bass is the best for a fresh BBQ on the beach
Halibut is excellent in fresh Ceviche on the beach
Swordfish is my favorite on the home BBQ
and Salmon is my favorite for sashimi

Now I'm hungry! :mad:
;)

I'd have to say Halibut is the best for a BBQ on the beach--when we cook it over a hot mesquite fire and brush on melted butter while its cooking...Taco--you never went on the trips to Abreojos when we had Dorado ceviche--better than Halibut or the others.

Capt. George - 1-26-2007 at 09:19 AM

doo-doo? I guess it tastes like poo-poo, or PERHAPS!!!!chicken.

Tomas Tierra - 1-26-2007 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
tomas,:barf: what does doo-doo taste like?

depends on what you've been eating I guess..

Edit: Maybe we should start a thread on that:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 1-26-2007 by Tomas Tierra]

capt. mike - 1-26-2007 at 02:24 PM

i never tasted doo doo. saw Divine eat dog caca in Pink Flamingos tho.:o

might taste like Quail? ask the goat.:wow:

Cypress - 1-26-2007 at 02:43 PM

My favorite fish? Yummy! Eating doo doo? I'll pass, unless the brown stuff in oysters counts.:tumble::D:D

Tomas Tierra - 1-26-2007 at 07:33 PM

I've also heard of trout tasting like doo doo...

Capt. George - 1-26-2007 at 07:52 PM

remember, doo doo is not too far from ya-ya, just a slip of the tongue.

Tomas Tierra - 1-26-2007 at 11:16 PM

:?::wow::moon:

capt. mike - 1-27-2007 at 12:30 PM

yes Tomas, and that of course would be the colorado BROWN trout.:smug: