BajaNomad

First Post

Billfisher - 1-23-2007 at 06:05 PM

Greetings...

My name is Doug, and I like to chase all sea creatures with pointy noses (ergo, Billfisher.) I've been fishing Cabo since I was about 4, but am a novice when it comes to the rest of Baja south of Ensenada. I've driven to Cabo a couple of times, both by land and by sea. I moved from Southern California to Oregon in 1994, and still yearn for Pacificos and Dorado a la parilla.

Interesting point Doug

Sharksbaja - 1-23-2007 at 06:09 PM

Introducing yourself with such a controversial intro subject.
Catch & release? Besides that, welcome!

DENNIS - 1-23-2007 at 06:14 PM

Welcome Doug ---------

Hard to forget an ice cold Pacifico, isn't it?

Billfisher - 1-23-2007 at 06:18 PM

No doubt it is hard to forget! As for Catch and Release... I release all billfish. It hasn't always been that way, but thank God for educaton, repro mounts, and cameras! I keep some highly edible pelagics (like YFT, and Wahoo,) and release most others. :biggrin:

(Oh yeah... "Interesting Point..." nice pun!)

[Edited on 1-24-2007 by Billfisher]

Sharksbaja - 1-23-2007 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Billfisher
As for Catch and Release... I release all billfish.

Great. Do you have a good story to tell? Heck, even a halfassed tale would do.;)

The Story...

Billfisher - 1-26-2007 at 05:37 AM

Once upon a time (about 20 years ago,) my Dad and I trailered an 18' Wellcraft down to Cabo, in three days from our home in HB. We stopped in San Ignacio and Mulege on the way down, and fished for about a week once we got there. One particular day, we heard the the fish were biting at Jaime bank, which was a pretty good stretch from the harbor. That said, we thought we'd start close, and work our way toward there. As we rounded the point and passed Cabo Falso, we saw the unthinkable... Feeders! Two baits later, we had released two nice stripes, with my first on spinning gear (20#). Next it was a race to beat the hotel boats, as the fish kept marching us west toward Jaime. Each stop produced the same thing... two fish hooked, three fish hooked, two fish released, 1 lost, two released... We were on fire.

Did I mention there were just us two onboard?

We would bring two fish to wire, release them, and get baits in the water as soon as we could. Sometimes we'd chase the school in such a hurry that our macks were skipping behind the boat like barefoot waterskiiers.

The end tally was 11 Marlin, with 9 released, and two kept for 2 families in need, (and bragging rights with a marlin draped over each quarter of the center console's bow.)

It was the best day I've ever had Marlin fishing, and the only day I've seen a fish swim under the boat and eat the mackeral I just put in, 20 feet off the beam. :bounce:

Osprey - 1-26-2007 at 08:33 AM

Billthrower, you're exactly the kind of newcomber the board needs -- some one who has kissed the Blarney Stone. Fish on!

Cypress - 1-26-2007 at 08:56 AM

Billfisher. Now that's a fishing story!!! :bounce:

STORIES

Garry - 1-26-2007 at 09:12 AM

Welcome, How about your worst horror story

Billfisher - 1-28-2007 at 05:44 AM

About what? Baja? That is a short one...

Trailering a 24' Chris Craft back from Cabo, we got stuck right by Guerrero Negro, with a fried brake drum assembly. This would not have been a big deal, but it was an election or holiday weekend (I don't recall which), and the whole town was on siesta. A day and a half later, we mustered some parts, and were back headed north. Other than that, no really bad days in Baja!

:P